VCDS reporting : a strange anomaly reported and a request for change ...

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
I've been running my newly acquired USB CAN cable on my troubled A8 D3 and been cross examing the four autoscan logs I did against some taken some months ago. It's very useful that the log files are saved in simple ASCII text as they can be easily analysed later. However, on doing so, I noted:

1) There's a strange difference in the output when you run it in Debug=2 mode to create label files. The difference is, the text characters in the "Labels;" field for all ECUs in the log are translated to UPPER case [they always seem to be lower case in autoscans] - even "None" becomes "NONE".

This might seem very picky but I use an ASCII text file compare utility in Windows to compare scans and to highlight differences and was intrigued that two runs within 5 minutes of each other [Debug=2,Debug=0] showed 36 differences. Turns out 34 of them were the label file names and the other two were the Date/Time and Run Length lines!

2) That the Installation List Status part of the report [The 'Status: OK 0000' / 'Status: Malfunction 0010' lines at the top] is less easy to quickly determine status contents, looking at the text in logs afterwards, as they don't line up. Once again this might seem picky, but although at Autoscan run time on the screen errors are in Red, in a PC text file afterwards they are in black!

Don't suppose VCDS could be modified so that the text literals "Engine", "HVAC", etc. in this report could be space filled to the same length so that all the status values line up vertically in the report?

Regards - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
1) Have you considered the possibility that this behavior is intentional, requiring extra code, that we have in there for a reason? ;)

2) Padding things with spaces is only useful if you happen to be viewing the output in a fixed-width font, which is relatively unusual these days. Then there's the complication of all the different languages that VCDS is translated into. As we've had no other requests for this in the 10+ years that VCDS has been displaying the Gateway Installation list in the current format, I'm not real keen on changing this.

-Uwe-

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
1) I DID consider this but couldn't think of any useful reason. :) As I suspect I'll rarely be running 'Debug=2', I'll consider this something I can put up with.

2) Appreciate that comment about fixed vs variable width as a general comment but VCDS is broadly printed in 'tabular format' - all the ECU's printout is laid out the same and I personally believe that why a fixed font for viewing is appropriate. [I use NotePad to look at these and use a fixed font for the very reason that all the ECU information 'lines up'. ;)

Regards - Julian