2007 Jetta 2.5 Intermittent Crank, No Start

StuttgartAutotech

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC498787 (2nd hand?)
Have an odd one.

2007 Jetta. 2.5 BGP engine code. Manual Transmission. Towed in, died on the freeway. I get to the car and the battery is dead. There was a P000a Camshaft Position Sensor bank 1 intake slow response.

Replaced the battery, vehicle fires right up. Checked charging system. It is good. I go out and put 15 miles on the car. Monitored voltage the whole time and it didn't drop below 14.2 volts. Test drove the vehicle a couple more times and never had it stall or fail to start for me. The fault for the camshaft sensor never returned.

Customer came to pick up the vehicle and they didn't make it out of the parking lot. Took the vehicle back in.

What is happening is after the vehicle sits for a time and you go to start it, it will crank and crank and not start. As soon as you cycle the key, the vehicle will fire right up. Checked and found there is no spark during the times it is not starting. I also checked and found that I have good fuel pressure while it is not starting. So it is for sure a spark problem.

Through all this, no faults have ever returned. I replaced the crank position/engine speed sensor. The problem persists in the same manner, cranks and cranks with no start. Cycle the key and it fires right up.

I replaced the cam sensor. Still the same issue. Again, still no faults. I have checked and I do not have a flashing immobilizer light. Nor have I had any communication issues with the vehicle. My thoughts would be that if I had a relay problem I should have a plethora of faults for open circuit or short to ground, but there is nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Bad ignition switch or terminal 15 relay during crank and X .........
Where is your auto-scan......?

StuttgartAutotech

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC498787 (2nd hand?)
I had that thought as well. Was planning on checking that today.

It did a new thing for me this morning when I started it up.

The vehicle started the first time. Ran for ~3 seconds and then shut off. Not stumbled and stalled. But as if I turned it off, suddenly. The lights on the dash stayed on. There was no immobilizer light.

Next time I have the computer hooked up to it I will do an auto scan and put it up here.