General thoughts and suggestions on HEX-NET

lucidmotions

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=214403
there should be a way to 'select all' inside the logs menu so you can actually select all and upload to cloud. mine's stopped uploading a while ago and it's about 50/50 right now with some up and some not, and generally when i try to manually upload them the whole thing usually just crashes and gets stuck in the 'uploading' screen. but yeah not that's it's world changing upgrade - but i think probably a useful one for the ones who want to upload log files one by one (adding a checkbox to each log file as well)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Heh. Try asking about a triode, klystron, KS-15656, or even a rotary telephone...
A little appreciated fact: POTS talk and ring battery levels haven't really changed since the beginning of the Bell system. I got dragged along on an antiquing trip with my grandparents and spied a Western Electric model 202 phone I couldn't pass up (my occupation is basically VoIP/video). I'm not sure when this particular one was made, but its design dates back to 1930. I have it plugged in at my house. It is fully operational and can place phone calls. AFAIK, all modern central office switches will still accept pulse dialing as well as DTMF.

Speaking of antiques, I had the opportunity to walk around the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA last month. Among about a thousand other pictures I took, I ran across this:

vwfactory.jpg

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
And here's another artifact of interest. Unfortunately, I left my HEX-NET interface at home so I'm not sure if it works. :)

boschabs-1.jpg

boschabs-2.jpg

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I have zero known issues on Desktop right now. Not that you were waiting for my permission or anything :rolleyes: and I don't want to jinx it, but it seems to me you're pretty close to removing the B-word from HEX-NET in Desktop mode. Mobile is another story, but it seems to be coming along nicely.

I still wonder about the WiFi radio performance, particularly in AP mode, but I've gotten about as far as I can on testing until I get hold of an AirPcap adapter for a deeper view. However, you seem to have coded your way around any possible issue with help from Clumsy, and aside from a possible firmware fix for mixed WPA/WPA2 issues, I'm not sure there's anything that could be done by Ross-Tech anyway.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Wow. Thank you for the the vote of confidence, Jason!

(And of course for all the testing and help finding modules and such too)!

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I don't want to jinx it
As if on cue, Jake posts all sorts of trouble 30 minutes later... :( I didn't even say the B-word.

Wow. Thank you for the the vote of confidence, Jason!

(And of course for all the testing and help finding modules and such too)!
No problem at all. Ross-Tech have more than repaid me for those things. If you still feel indebted though, feel free to tell me what the hell is wrong with my Phaeton.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
As if on cue, Jake posts all sorts of trouble 30 minutes later...

We need to schedule our posts farther apart or my Irish 'luck' may migrate your way due to proximity :p

Glad to hear its working well for you !

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Glad to hear its working well for you !
They have certainly done Something for WiFi, at least for non-Cloud stuff. I had to keep checking to make sure the USB cable wasn't plugged in. :D

Sorry it's struggling with your A8 right now, but I'm sure they'll have that righted quickly. I will try to get a scan of my Phaeton soon, but it was working well last I knew and I don't think its virtual K-line setup is likely to have much in common with your much newer car.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I'm sure they'll have that righted quickly.

I have complete confidence.

I will try to get a scan of my Phaeton soon, but it was working well last I knew and I don't think its virtual K-line setup is likely to have much in common with your much newer car.

Agreed.
May be completely co-incidental, or maybe my Rike is just cantankerous like me :rolleyes:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Suggestions for the FAQ:

Add all variants of the holding-down-button secret handshake. I've seen several power-state/timing variants go by for resetting the whole device, or the password, or the wireless profiles. It would be nice to collect them all together in the FAQ.

Add a note about virtual AP being restricted to a single associated WiFi client. I've accidentally tripped over this a couple times, wondering why I can't get my laptop associated, and it turned out my phone automatically jumped on it as soon as the SSID showed up. This would be frustrating to figure out for someone who didn't know about the limitation.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Add a note about virtual AP being restricted to a single associated WiFi client. I've accidentally tripped over this a couple times, wondering why I can't get my laptop associated, and it turned out my phone automatically jumped on it as soon as the SSID showed up. This would be frustrating to figure out for someone who didn't know about the limitation.

Current versions should allow up to 4 devices connected via ap mode at the same time.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Current versions should allow up to 4 devices connected via ap mode at the same time.

Ehhhhh.... I had the same problem jyoung8607 did.
Couldn't connect with the tablet because the phone latched on to it.
Turned wifi off on phone, the other tablet latched onto the HN.
Lather, rinse, repeat until the tablet I was using became the Highlander :D

How recent was this change Santos ?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Hrm... can you define current version? I thought I had experienced this within the last month or so, but I could be wrong.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Hrm... can you define current version? I thought I had experienced this within the last month or so, but I could be wrong.

Yep, I looked back at my posts because I remember you commented on AP mode not being the preferred method.

Was 17 July 2014 with:
VCDS 14.6.1
CodeBlock V0.4108
FW version: 0.184
Dataset: 00000027

Maybe it was fixed in V0.4111 ?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Confirmed just now that HN does not allow more than one device attached in AP mode.

CodeBlock V0.4112
FW version: 0.187
Dataset: 00000027

IMG_1656_zps5edaf771.png

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
hmm, I'm almost certain i had a version that supported 4 devices in ap mode... I wonder if it was removed, or did I have an experimental firmware :D. I'll bug Shaun and ask.

Edit: it was Magic....

9LM1avg.gif

At some point i had an alternate test firmware.

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Ehhhhh.... I had the same problem jyoung8607 did.
Couldn't connect with the tablet because the phone latched on to it.
Turned wifi off on phone, the other tablet latched onto the HN.
Lather, rinse, repeat until the tablet I was using became the Highlander :D
I think a lot of people might run into this. After all, a lot of people will have multiple WiFi client devices. They don't even need to be in the car, just nearby.

It might be useful to add a blink pattern to the orange LED, to indicate an actively connected client. At least that way you have a hint of what's going on.

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I expect the single device limitation in AP mode will be going away.

-Uwe-

Back