Replace AFP with BDF Engine ECU and Immobilizer Questions

diamono

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=185308
Attempting to help out a buddy here. My buddy recently picked up an 01' GTI with a bad engine, AFP VR6 with manual. He has a wrecked 03 Jetta with a BDF engine and automatic, so he decided to swap the engine from the Jetta to the GTI. Once he got finished, he wanted to see if I could match up his ECU's. Reading the process on Ross Tech, I knew I needed to get the pin numbers from both cars and I did just that. The procedure stated to start with the ECU of the donor and log in. I couldn't do that, because the ECU wouldn't read. Trying something else, we put in the original ECU, of which I could read everything fine. However, I couldn't log in with the correct pin number. It'd end up losing connection and I'd get the message for "Too many communication errors". On a suggestion from a rep at Ross Tech, I tried a random pin number and it did the same thing. Upon researching further, it appears that the 01' GTI has an Immobilizer II, while the 03' Jetta has an Immobilizer III. I'm assuming there is something different in the wiring between the cars, instrument cluster, etc., that prevents me from being able to read the donor car's ECU when in the GTI. I'm also assuming that the reason I can't "log in" is because the GTI has Immobilizer II. The GTI does not have a "key" that flashes on the instrument cluster and also has just the 14 digit number to show up on the "extra" line when looking at the instruments with VCDS. The 03' Jetta had the 17 digit and 14 digit numbers to show up on the instruments scan. As it stands right now, the GTI has the stock wiring going to the engine ECU, which is the ECU plug on the passenger side of the car . The donor car's engine and engine wiring are now on the GTI and go to the driver's side plug on the ECU. Not so sure what to do next.

I hoping someone can give some pointers on what can be done. My research shows people putting these VR6 engines and others into MKII and MKIII vehicles, but I haven't found anything relevant to MKIV vehicles. I realize that I may not be searching with the proper terms, so any help on that would be appreciated it too.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
You are correct that the '01 uses Immo-2 and the '03 uses Immo-3. Any chance of using the cluster and keys from the donor car as well? That's the simplest route since all that stuff is already matched and designed to go together.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You are correct that the '01 uses Immo-2 and the '03 uses Immo-3. Any chance of using the cluster and keys from the donor car as well? That's the simplest route since all that stuff is already matched and designed to go together.

Not such a good idea since the VIN being incorrect and displayed in the immobilizer 3 ecu will cause a potential problem and makes unneeded work.

I would get the proper ecu part # for at least a stick and remove the VIN, so it isn't incorrect for the chassis causing dumb problems, and just disable the immobilizer.

BDF only came with a 6 speed trans, however, any stick trans ecu should be fine for BDF........ keeping in mind whether or not you have the additional vacuum pump for brake booster as part of your part # selection process or conversion.

Post your auto-scan and I will help you guys with a discount and trade in credits toward your off road goal for a new or reman proper config ecu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Attempting to help out a buddy here. My buddy recently picked up an 01' GTI with a bad engine, AFP VR6 with manual. He has a wrecked 03 Jetta with a BDF engine and automatic, so he decided to swap the engine from the Jetta to the GTI. Once he got finished, he wanted to see if I could match up his ECU's. Reading the process on Ross Tech, I knew I needed to get the pin numbers from both cars and I did just that. The procedure stated to start with the ECU of the donor and log in. I couldn't do that, because the ECU wouldn't read. Trying something else, we put in the original ECU, of which I could read everything fine. However, I couldn't log in with the correct pin number. It'd end up losing connection and I'd get the message for "Too many communication errors". On a suggestion from a rep at Ross Tech, I tried a random pin number and it did the same thing. Upon researching further, it appears that the 01' GTI has an Immobilizer II, while the 03' Jetta has an Immobilizer III. I'm assuming there is something different in the wiring between the cars, instrument cluster, etc., that prevents me from being able to read the donor car's ECU when in the GTI. I'm also assuming that the reason I can't "log in" is because the GTI has Immobilizer II. The GTI does not have a "key" that flashes on the instrument cluster and also has just the 14 digit number to show up on the "extra" line when looking at the instruments with VCDS. The 03' Jetta had the 17 digit and 14 digit numbers to show up on the instruments scan. As it stands right now, the GTI has the stock wiring going to the engine ECU, which is the ECU plug on the passenger side of the car . The donor car's engine and engine wiring are now on the GTI and go to the driver's side plug on the ECU. Not so sure what to do next.

I hoping someone can give some pointers on what can be done. My research shows people putting these VR6 engines and others into MKII and MKIII vehicles, but I haven't found anything relevant to MKIV vehicles. I realize that I may not be searching with the proper terms, so any help on that would be appreciated it too.

Immo delete in ECU will allow you to run car with out any problems. I have done this before and no problems at all.
But I want to know something ,
When you said 2003 ECU would not read, what do you mean by that?
Do you mean VCDS can not connect to ECU?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Immo delete in ECU will allow you to run car with out any problems

Incorrect Marin........ the car is a stick now, not an automatic like the donor 03.........and yes it will run, however, "with faults" from missing messages.

diamono

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=185308
Immo delete in ECU will allow you to run car with out any problems. I have done this before and no problems at all.
But I want to know something ,
When you said 2003 ECU would not read, what do you mean by that?
Do you mean VCDS can not connect to ECU?

For clarification, when the 2003 Jetta ECU is hooked up to the wiring harness in the 2001 GTI, VCDS cannot connect to the ECU. I am able to connect to both ECU's when they are in their original, respective cars.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That is because nothing is wrong and they are wired differently......please see WD and you will see.

The AFP is ME7.1 KW1281

The BDF is ME71.1 KWP2000