The Music Lounge

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I only saw him live once. I too remember him looking a whole lot more like this:

Then_PeterFrampton_GettyC-478973.jpg

Gary Wright, Peter Frampton, and Yes at JFK stadium in June of 1976, a few days after I graduated high school. I'm pretty sure I looked younger then than I do now too. :cry:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
About five years ago, a different girlfriend took me to see Billy Joel.

The lights come on and here's this dude:
71541594_8.jpg

He waited a moment and said "Hi. I'm Billy Joel's dad".

I will say he sounded great. His finale was Piano Man and he left nothing on the stage. It was obvious he tweaked his back in a big way during the final moments and the lights remained off so they could get him off stage.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
PS: It's a good thing that I haven't aged in the intervening period - albeit there is a portrait of me in the attic that is looking pretty damn sick!

I guess that people who live down under aren't afraid to make deals with the devil..... ;)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I guess that people who live down under aren't afraid to make deals with the devil..... ;)

vreihen: Unlike Mr D. Gray, I have no intention of destroying my quickly-ageing portrait. And, just for the record there ain't nothin' wrong with dealing with the Devil - it's much more fun!

The trick is to make a better deal with God just before the grim reaper comes calling!! Of course I'm fully aware that my negotiating position will be somewhat diminished when it's time to speak to the "Big G", but I spent a long time as a trader in a previous life - so it's just a test of skill, I hope!

Don

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
re: the Frampton acoustic show this past weekend.

Great seats. Actually kind of weird to have the guy hammer the shit out of song you've known 80% of your life, and look at you with a "I just killed that!" grin to check and see if you feel like you're getting your moneys worth.
IMG_20160326_202807_edit_zpszczoqrp0.jpg

Super old, crusty theater. The staff all appeared to have come with the building. You can buy alcohol in the lobby.

The opening act was Peter's son, who played a half hour set. He, not surprisingly, is the long hair with guitar. They keyboard player/song writer next to him was his barista at Starbuck's until very recently.
IMG_20160326_195242_edit_zps2ysixoq6.jpg

A great showman, very funny with a great singing voice.

Peter came out and played several songs by himself and then brought out the other guy in the video I posted previously, who is a song writer.

Speaking of the video, I had some reservations that this was Peter's geriatric tour and I would leave disappointed. That show was about 2.5 hours and was FAR better than I could have hoped for. That guy can rock the shit out of an acoustic guitar.

Lastly, I didn't notice in the video that he was playing a Tacoma guitar. It turns out that Peter and his son are quite fond of them, and own four of them. My own guitar is a Tacoma guitar, which I was pumped to buy because I lived there then (and again now) and the guitars were made in Tacoma. The company moved to Arizona, still under the same name and was bought out by Fender, who eventually snuffed the brand.

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
Saw The Bones of JR Jones at the Fillmore in Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago.

rucklet

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14863

Short translation: I'm going to buy wings for all the money

Last edited:

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Not a fan of disturbed but this is a great cover of a simon and garfunkel song. they really should have done it without the pitch correction.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Sturgill Simpson ... never heard of him before but dang that boy can play:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^ hmm......... never heard of PJM.... good!!!!!

Puddles Pity Party interesting - shame about the clown outfit (not needed - Michael Geier seems to have enuff talent without the gimmick, and it's distracting)

Don

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I was in two-minds whether this Aussie band should be elevated to the heady-heights of mention on this thread. There's some awesome musical talent here - so it's a significant hurdle to add another name amongst such greats!!

Anyhow, since musical taste is deeply personal my thinking is that if I'm mistaken, I can hide my error of judgement under the claim that it's just a DV52 thing!! :D

The Teskey Brothers are a home-grown Melbourne band. Not sure - sometimes I really enjoy their "mellow" sound, but other times it's what I call "cardigan music" (and I switch to heavy metal, head-banger music)

You be the judge!!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I have absolutely no idea what the lyrics of this song mean - but I get the feeling that it would be beneficial if I did !! :confused:

Sage

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I think this counts as a weird music video :D

Here's a band I got into over the fall. It took a bit of time to get used to but now I really dig the mix of harsh synth/vocals and beautiful Sax playing.

The drummer is Louis Cole. Amazingly talented and is part of a couple projects. I believe the Saxophonist is one of the many musicians he plays with regularly.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Sage: No contest - you are the clear winner!! Your selection certainlty beats my video in weirdness!! :thumbs:

Don