The Music Lounge

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
How about you post links to youtube videos of your favorite "UNIQUE" music videos! . !°No Justin Beiburp crap. Just music that is not heard played 100 times a day on a radio station.

Reactions: Uwe

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654

Awesome slide guitar genious...

Last edited:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Oh you shouldn't have.

I "discovered" this guy a few months ago when I was walking through a store and heard a half way decent cover of Rocket Man (Elton John). I thought "hey, I could probably play that song" so I went home and did a youtube search. If any of you play an instrument you probably know that covers are hit and miss. I went through a few of them and found one by Mike Masse. Most of these are old, 2009-ish. They're recorded in a pizza place in Salt Lake City. After seeing how many he did I was hooked, and then realized I go to SLC at least twice per year. How awesome would it be to drop in and hear this?

Elton John, Rocket Man

The Kinks, Lola

U2, One (this one has become one of my personal favorites).

Cat Stevens, Wild World

And more. Assuming you watch one and are interested here's what else I know. At the time he was recording these he was a public defender in SLC. The bass player Jeff Hall was the prosecuting attorney (the only logical explanation for any thumbs down on these). He has retired as an attorney and moved to Colorado where he plays at a higher level than disheveled hair in a pizza place with "Craig, your pie is ready!" in the background and one person clapping like a retarded seal.

Last up, is this one:
The video is me (orange pull over) and my uncle (already seated in the back). The mic was turned off in the rear camera and it was dull with no sound, so I stripped the audio from his version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity". I sent him the video to make sure he wasn't going to be pissed. He sent me a "Alex, Cool!"

For the other type of music, I did have audio for my handheld GoPro

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Amos Lee, Chill in the Air

I don't know his name. Street musician that has been seen in Seattle, Spokane and places in Alaska apparently. For a solo act shaking the can I thought it was very unique.

Some very talented punk doing another Elton John cover.
I have this on my list of covers to learn also, a song that is probably 40 years older than the kid playing it. He apparently set out to post up a new video every day for a year (and did so). He makes a few mistakes on the guitar but he can sing like damn.

Another Mike Masse video. Led Zeppelin "Thank You"

Last edited:

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I subscribed to Mike Masse's youtube channel a few months ago when his cover of Africa made its rounds on reddit:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I never even liked that song before I heard his version. Look up his version of Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven". After I stripped the audio off of several of his youtube videos I was struck with guilt and signed on to his Patreon campaign and then bought his entire download of 80 songs for like $30.

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
David Hartley... he has made a lot of videos on youtube. He is one of the the best steel guitar players i have seen . i just enjoy music more when you can tell the guys just enjoying playing music.

And here is a guy i found on youtube too. crazy how talented he is playing guitar.

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
Finally..... something that goes higher then the cost of VW parts.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
No Justin Beiburp crap. Just music that is not heard played 100 times a day on a radio station.

Welder: (now there's a skill that I wish that I had - I'm hopeless with an electric arc welder). How about that absolute all time classic song by AKA/DAKA titled "It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage-roll"? You guys have probably heard about the tribute band copy - a small, non-descript band called AC/DC (with Bon Scott, not the new guy) singing their minor hit that has a similar sounding title!
Don

Last edited:

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
Remember the guy off police academy???

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
here is some ac/dc for you.

Noooooooooooooooo..... !!! REAL aka daka devotees consider Brian Johnson to be a good but fake replacement for Bon Scott (who tragically died in 1980 of an over-indulgence in life)! There really is no substitute for hearing the original line-up in a large badly ventilated Melbourne venue on a hot summer's night - with the amplifier power settings turned way-up to 11 and a million sweaty teenagers all enjoying the sound!
But those were the heady days of our youth. And as the saying goes- youth is wasted on the young!
Don

Video shot in Melbourne - Australia. Listen to the opening riff- don't get any better than that!!

Last edited:

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
does the singer remind you of Freddie Mercury?(song starts @ 1:19)

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I'm a Dire Straits fan from way back. In college I had a job as a DJ in a bar. We didn't talk on the microphone, we just played back to back music which might be considered classic rock now.

On an occasional rare night there would be no one there to dance, so I would pull a bar stool into the center of the dance floor and take advantage of the nicest stereo in town. Telegraph road was a staple on those nights.

Unrelated, but a couple of months ago I saw that Peter Frampton was coming to town, to do an acoustic show. I told my girlfriend about it and pointed out that it was the day before my birthday. She bought me tickets (came to almost $500, which is way more than I would have ever paid). It's a small venue in a super old theater in Tacoma, WA and I'll be just feet from the stage. It's in two days.

Now, brace yourself because Peter is an old man. This video is quite recent, and basically a warm up for this tour.

It starts out cool, gets a little dodgy but at around 2:40 it's pretty damn good.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I'm a Dire Straits fan from way back. In college I had a job as a DJ in a bar. We didn't talk on the microphone, we just played back to back music which might be considered classic rock now.

On an occasional rare night there would be no one there to dance, so I would pull a bar stool into the center of the dance floor and take advantage of the nicest stereo in town. Telegraph road was a staple on those nights.

Unrelated, but a couple of months ago I saw that Peter Frampton was coming to town, to do an acoustic show. I told my girlfriend about it and pointed out that it was the day before my birthday. She bought me tickets (came to almost $500, which is way more than I would have ever paid). It's a small venue in a super old theater in Tacoma, WA and I'll be just feet from the stage. It's in two days.

Now, brace yourself because Peter is an old man. This video is quite recent, and basically a warm up for this tour..

Flaps: No way!! I just can't believe that it's the same Peter Frampton that I remember from my youth - Surely it's got to be his grandfather in the video?
Thanks for posting
Don

PS: It's a good thing that I haven't aged in the intervening period - albeit there is a portrait of me in the attic that is looking pretty damn sick!