How to configure Power-Save mode on Hex-Net?

SinCityA6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=264688
I received my Hex-Net the other day and finally got a chance to set it up. First off, great product from what I have seen thus far. The question I have is how do I set up the power save mode? After getting the Hex-Net set up I left it plugged in and went about other things. About 2 hours later, came out to start the car and the battery is drained. From reading the FAQs there is a way to set up the Hex-net to go into power save mode, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Let's start with the fact that there's NO WAY that leaving a HEX-NET plugged in for two hours will drain you car's battery, even if you haven't configured the power saving. If it consumed that much power in 2 hours, it would literally melt.

Is it possible you left the car's ignition on for those two hours? ;)

I know we had a write up or something on how to configure power saving. I'll look for it post it shortly..

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Found it. It's in FAQ entry 6.10 on this page:

http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/faq_6.html#6.10

[Options]
Choose a low-power mode there, either "Ignition" or "Ig. and Vbatt"

You can also fine-tune the settings by clicking:
[Adv. Low Power Config]

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
To configure the low power mode there are primarily two things you need to check. First, in VCDS-Mobile go to [Options] and check that the field labeled "low power mode" is set to "Ign. and Vbat" There are some other modes, but this is probably the one you want.

Next click [Adv. Low Power Config]
On this screen you can fine tune the low power mode setting and also double check the voltages. On some vehicles that don't have switched power available on the DLC, the HEX-NET will look at the Vbat level to determine if the alternator is running. If this is the case for you, you might want to check this level once with the engine off and once with it one, and then set the "Alternator on threshold" voltage to be half way between the two. You can also customize the amount of delay before low power mode is activated here.

For some extra details, refer to FAQ 6.10

However, like Uwe already said, two hours seems like a very short period of time for a HEX-NET to drain your battery even if low power mode was not successfully triggered.

--Shaun

Last edited:

SinCityA6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=264688
Thanks to the both of you. My issue was I was trying to find the setting in the VCDS program with the Hex-Net connected to the USB cable on my computer. Once I plugged the unit back into the car and connected to it in Access Point mode via VCDS mobile, I was able to find the settings in the options menu there. I set the Hex-Net to power down 60 seconds after the ignition is turned off and then tested it; worked like a charm.

As for why the battery drained n 2 hours, I have no clue. I was in the process of installing my dashcam as well so having the doors open, interior lights on and the dashcam powered by the accessory plug probably didn't help the matter:banghead:. Either way, the battery drained far to fast for my taste so off to my mechanic I go to have it tested.

BTW, if this is the type of support I will get from using this forum, I am VERY happy I bought this unit!!!

Luxferr0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267072
Are the low power mode settings, which are only accessible via wifi an oversight? Or does low power mode only have to do with the wireless chipset of hex-net?

I was going crazy trying to find the settings myself, but since I am using it via usb I was never able to figure out why I couldn't find them until I read the post above this one.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You're using it via USB and you're leaving it plugged into the car for days at a time?

That's a scenario we did not anticipate.

-Uwe-

Luxferr0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267072
You're using it via USB and you're leaving it plugged into the car for days at a time?

That's a scenario we did not anticipate.

-Uwe-

Well I've only gotten the car (2013 audi tt rs) and Hex-Net, so I really have no defined habits yet (all this is new to me :) ). But I did leave it in my car yesterday, hooked up via USB, and was reading the forums when I happened upon a post about low-power mode. Then I went and checked it, and it wasn't in low power. So then I researched how to switch it to low power mode when I happened upon this thread. My first experience with wifi didn't go too well for datalogging, so that's why I been using it via USB. Even when I did use it via wifi, I used it with full VCDS, and not mobile.

edit: I also bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro just to have a portable native windows device for full VCDS. So in that scenario it would be nice to have the option.

Last edited:

jphughan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380153
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but it was the closest one that seemed to fit my question and it seemed preferable to creating a new mostly redundant thread.

I'm trying to understand the interplay of the threshold settings based on their wording, and I'd like to make sure I'm correct. And if so, I have a suggested wording change to make it clearer. Below is my current understanding. Please let me know if these are correct or not:
  • If ONLY "Use Vign" is enabled, then the HEX-NET will go into Power Save Mode after the ignition/switched voltage has dropped below the "Ignition on threshold" for the amount of time specified in the "Low power mode delay" setting.
  • If ONLY "Use Vbat" is enabled, then the HEX-NET will go into Power Save Mode after the battery/unswitched voltage has dropped below the "Alternator on threshold" for the amount of time specified in the "Low power mode delay" setting.
  • If BOTH "Use Vign" AND "Use Vbat" are enabled, then ignition/switched voltage must be below the "Ignition on threshold" AND battery/unswitched voltage must be below the "Alternator on threshold" for the delay time. (Or will Power Save be triggered if EITHER condition is met? Whichever is correct, it might be worth adding some text on the settings page to clarify this.)
If the first two bullet points above are accurate, then it seems that the "Ignition on threshold" setting only applies to Vign and the "Alternator on threshold" setting only applies to Vbat -- is that correct? If so, wouldn't it be much clearer to simply name those settings "Vign threshold" and "Vbat threshold"? :)

Last edited:

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I believe your understanding of the functions as described above is correct.

jphughan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380153
I believe your understanding of the functions as described above is correct.

Thanks Shaun. Can you confirm what happens when both Vign and Vbat are enabled, though? Do both voltages have to be below their respective thresholds for Power Save mode to be triggered, or can it be triggered even if only one voltage is below its threshold value?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'd like to suggest that if your car has Vign, you use Vign; it's cleaner, because it's either on or off. The only reason the option for Vbatt exists as a means of doing this is for older cars that don't have Vign available.

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Both must be below the threshold and either will wake it.

Reactions: Uwe

jphughan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380153
I'd like to suggest that if your car has Vign, you use Vign; it's cleaner, because it's either on or off. The only reason the option for Vbatt exists as a means of doing this is for older cars that don't have Vign available.

-Uwe-

Understood, and will do. I admit that part of the reason for asking was my technical curiosity as I work in IT and enjoy tinkering with car electronics as well. :) Still, I figured these answers might be helpful to others at some point too.

Both must be below the threshold and either will wake it.

Thanks!