TT key coding, strange goings on!

KennyGrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105299
Hi Folks,
Hopefully someone can help shed some light on an issue I'm having coding a new key on a '99 TT
The car only had one key so a replacement has been cut and a new transponder fitted.
I've got the 4digit pin to login to the instrument cluster so I followed the usual procedure with VCDS: login, adaption 21, save number of keys as zero, save new number of keys to be coded (2), come out of module, switch ignition off and on with key 1, then again with key 2.

Now is where things get strange....

Only the first key codes (I've tried coding both first with the same result), but the weird thing is that both keys will allow the engine to start! Even with the immobiliser light flashing.

If I go back in with VCDS it shows that only 1 key is programmed. It also shows via measuring blocks that the second key to be coded is not recognised and engine start isn't allowed, even though the engine starts!

So, I'm wondering if it is possible that someone in the past has removed the immobiliser function from the (engine?) ECU? Is that a thing?

Any ideas? I'm losing sleep over this one!

Cheers

Kenny

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Go to engine 01 and display with auto-scan to observe. 0x01-10-091 Result?

Unplug cluster and see if engine starts.... you could be in emergency running mode, because that car supports that too.

KennyGrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105299
Cheers Jack

I'll try that later on next week and post up my findings.