2004 passat wagon 1.8t 01V trans issue?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Not just a wiggle test, however, you must verify for a sporadic/dead short on F125 from controller to multifunction switch, or check/change F125 + verify board of TCU and or replace J217.

Cause and effect!.......... or you get same effect and the cause damages the new part...........

Reactions: Uwe

South Cove VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10409
update!

couldnt find any bad wires dead shorts or anything
replaced tcu and range sensor with known good ones

driveability is no better, but no codes a setting allthough i continue to get intermittent no response from controller even while monitoring measuring blocks and not being able to get back in with out unplugging tcu and replugging back in and doesnt always work the next time sometimes takes a few times

and maybe driveability issue is unrelated to code it had set ? maybe it has internal trans issue checked fluid and is topped up and clean though

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
How about supply or relays when it happens........ or do you have a stray voltage back feed on the K-line.........monitor it.

Brake light switch shitty?

Verify all feeds and or overlay the K-line as a test.

South Cove VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10409
supply as in voltage to and from tcu if so all good

looking at the a/t wiring diagram i do not see any relays to be checked ?

as far as i know brake light switch is good i do not see any obvious symptoms of failed brake light switch

and i am not quite sure on the K-line? im not sure which one that is?

thanks

South Cove VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10409
update

i did a more thorough check on wires ( i found on mitchell ondemand transmission electrical trouble shooting diagnosing

its looking like i may have small amounts of voltage on wires coming from the range sensor where i should be 0v i am going to unplug connecter first of the week when i get it back in shop and check again to see its in the wires or the range sensor, but im guessing i will find something in wires as the known good range sensor i put on did not change anything

thanks again i will update next week

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Mitchell and All data = ( no Data ) Neither are very good, and way over priced for what they provide.

www.erwin.vw.com

or

Robert Bentley Publishers

Anything less is just crazy talk...........

South Cove VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10409
yeah i know

we have had good luck with mitchell for most domestics we are nota full euro or vw shop we have been an all makes and models but i have become a vw enthusiasts in the last 10 years and have definitely found mitchell not to be the best

i willl look into those manuals do either option have like an online service like mitchell does were u can sign in to view instead of dealing with books?

South Cove VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10409
just out of curiosity, when installing a TCM is there any coding that needs to be done, or adapting ? or should it be plug and play? i got a known good one from matching vehicle and TCM has same part number

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Coding can be transferred or calculated based on the attributes.......

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/5-Speed_Automatic_Transmission_(01V)#Coding

Coding
Non-DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

• 00000 = Standard (DSP active)
  • 00010 = Standard (DSP inactive)

DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

• 0?xxx: Tiptronic Installation
    • 0 = Tiptronic Buttons/Paddles not installed
    • 1 = Tiptronic Buttons (shifter +/- switch) and/or Paddles installed
  • 0x?xx: Tiptronic Strategy
    • 0 = Old Strategy (Shifts to first Gear when braked to Standstill)
    • 1 = New Strategy (Automatic Up/Down Shift before RPM Limit & Down Shift at Kick-Down)
  • 0xx?x: Dynamic Shift Program (DSP)
    • 0 = DSP active
    • 1 = DSP inactive
  • 0xxx?: Region/Powertrain
    • 1 = All-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
    • 2 = All-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)
    • 3 = Front-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
    • 4 = Front-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)

Reactions: Uwe

South Cove VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10409
Opening the TCM is common sense.
TCM should not be missing from auto scan! Getting kicked out of TCM when logged in happens but usually re-connects.
I would also take the back of the connector to TCM apart and look for corrosion at the front of the pins and the rear.
Using a wiring diagram I would also back probe and monitor power & ground to the TCM while I log in and see if they stay present when the TCM kicks you out.
I would also provide my own constant power and ground to unit and see if it still kicks me out.
Also is this car new too you? TCM water damage is common. Could someone have already replaced the TCM in the past. You also need to check the part # to see if it is the right TCM for you car.

Good Luck

so still trying to get to the bottom of this
i went back and back probed while logged in 02 trans powers grounds all stay good also k-wire stays good the whole time even when stops responding
it doesnt reconnect real easy sometimes i need to unplug tcm and plug back in to get to respond again

so just to recap i am back to original tcm and original range sensor no codes are reset during test drive but symptoms still occur slight flaring on upshifts and cruising feels like tcc is locking and unlocking intermittent

is it ever possible for a mechanical issue to throw electronics off a slight bit to set some codes they may not have anything to do with issue ?

maybe i should check fluid again possibly drop pan and inspect filter ?

just reaching a bit but this one has got me stumped for sure

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It is possible to have mechanical and electronic errors.........

You must fix the electronic ones first.............

South Cove VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10409
is there a chance that my hex-can cable could be defective?

only reason is we also have a snap on solus at the shop that has all updated euro plug ins and and has expert mode option forvws which mimics vcds (stillnot as functional)
but i thought i would try it and see if i kept losing response with controller andin fact i did not it stayed connected the whole time while monitoring different blocks and test driving and the other thing thats weird though is if trans stops responding or doesnt respond at all i can go to engine or any other module and it works fine?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
is there a chance that my hex-can cable could be defective?
Hmm, not defective per se, but seriously out of calibration. I'm very sorry I didn't pick up on this when you posted your first scan. It's obvious now that I looked for it. :facepalm:

Let's get it fixed. Go to [Options], set Debug Level to 8, click [Apply]. Run an Auto-Scan on that car (or one of similar vintage). After the scan finishes, look in the DEBUG sub-folder. There you will find a file named DEBUG-CAL.DLM. Please e-mail it to Support.

-Uwe-