CJAA engine TDI intermittent hard start - VW Cold Weather Intercooler Repair Kit

dmax13

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225643
Hello all,

So in the passed few years, I noticed my car (2010 Jetta TDI engine CJAA) starts intermittently rough at times, usually around 30-36 degrees (light frosting on windows). Browsing the WWW, found this bulletin for intercooler repairs by VW for an alleged bad design by the company on mine and other vehicles. The bulletin link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B162-sX2NN5lUzBIdG9hcVR6NUU/edit?pli=1. Issue surrounding this is hard start in cold, humid conditions, hydro locking, etc.

The vw part number is 1k0 198 803 B,
or ECS has https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Cold_Weather_Intercooler_Kit/ES2099557/. (Shows pictures of all included in kit)

Questions:::
- So, it is apparent that there can be water build up, and suck into intake, etc. Would a "El cheapo" fix to this be the addition of a small drain plug on the intercooler for allowing the build up water to drain out periodically?

- With the repair kit, it sells like we can do the repairs ourselves, but I am reading some threads that state a ECU update is necessary to accept the new functions of the temp probe, or is this just an adaption of the new sensor?

I live in MD, so the issue is less common than what it sounds like for folks further up north. Thus, I am not sure if a 400+ dollar repair is necessary and if perhaps there is a less costly preventative measure to take

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

- So, it is apparent that there can be water build up, and suck into intake, etc. Would a "El cheapo" fix to this be the addition of a small drain plug on the intercooler for allowing the build up water to drain out periodically?

- Perhaps you can verify there is condensation/water build up within the intercooler by removing the lower pipe and see if it drains water/ice.
- If there symptoms match, I would call VW of North America and see if they will 'good-will' the repair as per the TSB.

- With the repair kit, it sells like we can do the repairs ourselves, but I am reading some threads that state a ECU update is necessary to accept the new functions of the temp probe, or is this just an adaption of the new sensor?

- The procedure should be outlined in the TSB, if it says there is an adaptation then this is needed, if there is no mention, then no adaptation is needed.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

dmax13

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225643
I would assume adaption is required for the new sensor if mounted, however the repair document was rather vague in what update of ECU was needed. I will do this and see what lovely things come out of the lines:rolleyes:

dmax13

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225643
Took off lines to inter cooler, and found minimal oil, but was a bit sludgy (mixed with water). So, I will keep an eye on things and if I happen to encounter a hard start this winter, maybe I can take apart on the spot and see if much water condensed in the lines. For now though, things look to be ok.