Up to date Distributor list question and label files

Code1027

Reaction score
Just made an account here to ask here, as support wasn’t able to answer my question. On the distributors list page, I see one distributor listed for India, V-tech(in Delhi). Through Indian forums I’ve learnt they’re pretty unreliable, even to folks at ross tech. So I decided against buying one locally. But, in that same page, at the top there’s an interactive map. In this map there’s two distributors for India. V-tech and MBL impex(in Hyderabad). On their website, they have listed ross tech vcds but the picture is of a hex+can, not the latest hex v2 which is why I’m having second thoughts.

Theres’s tons of clones being sold, so I want to ask actual ross tech staff before making a purchase. As this distributor ”MBL impex” only exists on the interactive map, and their website doesn’t look too promising, I want to know are they still an official distributor(more importantly, reliable) for ross tech? If they are, would my purchase from them be honoured or am I required to pay the $99 registration fee for an indirect purchase? I hope I’m not wrong in assuming they are affiliated with ross tech, as I’m told the page is up to date, and that map is part of the distributor page maintained by ross tech.

second question, in a workshop’s vcds(told me its genuine, they always do lol), some modules of my car such as abs brakes, radio, engine give an error that ross tech doesn’t have info about this ecu. And it’s like address 01 engine is missing, totally inaccessible.can’t even view any info about it. But my car has been running and driving fine since purchase, it’s totally stock with no electrical/performance modifications. So I doubt it’s a failed engine controller:confused:
I want to know if this issue is due to a fake cable or is it due to missing label files for my particular modules? I am aware of members sharing maps for development of label files for unknown modules, I just wanna know if it’s even feasible for the team to make them just for one single guy. My car only exists in the Indian market, even though it was manufactured on the same production line with the VW equivalent. I totally can understand since the demand is next to nothing they prefer prioritise more important things. But these are the modules I am actually interested in, and not having access to them would defeat the point of a cable lol.:D

Sorry for the long post, I’m not new to software but I am to proprietary car software/hardware. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems lol.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Hi and welcome. The map needs an update. I'll get that done.

MBL - we have not heard from them in probably 6-7 years. So, no, they are not an option.

V-Tech - yes, their parent company in the UK is pretty good and we gave them the right to distribute in India. It has not been much of a success and I doubt the V-Tech India has any stock at the moment.

Ross-Tech does ship direct to India if you wish to purchase from us direct. The shipping and duties/taxes may make it an untenable purchase.

Right.. on the shop and their "genuine" VCDS... hmmm... can I say I doubt they are being truthful? One symptom of a clone is that modules do not show up in scans and labels are missing if they do. So, you described the performance with an illegal clone.

Did you give us specifics on the car? I don't see any. Model, year, and VIN would allow us to tell for sure that VCDS fully supports the platform. It should but who knows... Best to check it out.

As to nothing being simple - I agree 100%! Getting out of bed is no longer simple for me! :)

Code1027

Reaction score
Thanks for your time and the clarification about distributors. It’s unfortunate it didn’t work out.

Purchasing direct was the first thing I checked, but like you said the taxes+shipping inflate the price by a lot, almost double even for the 3 vin :/
I just wanted to clarify, say if I purchase the cable through a distributor in another country, am I required to pay the $99 registration fee for the indirect purchase?

About the shop, yes I never trusted them. Unfortunately due to the above roadblocks, I don’t have ready access to a legit cable here. I just wanted a “try before you buy” on a legit cable.
For what it’s worth, I own a carista and it too had the engine as unreachable. hence why I assumed it’s probably the car. I can view the codings of every other module in a scan just fine.

My bad, I didn’t think to include car specifics as I wasn’t sure if it was a “verified vcds user only” type of question lol:p. It’s a 2018 skoda rapid NA. VIN-TMBBDDNA1JGxxxxxx. It’s harder to search for info on mine due to the russian rapid being more popular. It is based on the PQ25 platform so I assume its documented, but parts like the radio have skoda specific part numbers, even though the are only visually different(slightly) from the vw counterpart.

As for the getting out of bed part, it’s funny that I can relate haha.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
2018 Skoda Rapid is fully supported by VCDS. I would expect full labels and so on.

If you buy an interface from any legit listed distrib, you will not pay an additional fee. Their units will work as ours will work.

Sorry we do not have a great solution for you in India. Like China, its not an easy country to establish trade partners owing to all the illegal units sold. We cannot/will not compete with those on price. They steal what we work hard to develop and we cannot compete with them on price.

As to the engine controller not talking to Carista - that does point to the car having an issue. Owing to the fact we can't get you a solution in your country, I'd be looking at the CAN lines to the control module. Did something damage them?

Code1027

Reaction score
That’s great to hear it’s supported.

Please don’t apologise, I am tangentially privy to the overhead of overseas distribution/support. Can’t imagine what a nightmare dealing with it is. And adding this IP theft on top of it, it’s really a shame how widespread clones are. But hey, the quote “If they’re copying you, you’re doing something right“ rings quite true.

About the engine module, I did visually inspect the module and connector a while ago, but they looked fine. The car has never been in an accident, or the engine bay sprayed with a pressure washer so I don’t see any obvious damage from the exterior. As for the CAN lines, sorry I have no idea how to check the ones leading to the module. Is there any quick way to do it? I just hope I’m not over stretching my welcome asking about this problem.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
The long and short of this story is we can't really help more without a report from the car.

There are wiring diagrams available erwin.skoda but we don't know that the CAN is the issue.

My suggestion is that you find a way to get access to a real VCDS. Post an autoscan here and then we can help you. Without that core information, its gets hard to do.

Code1027

Reaction score
That’s what I thought, no problem at all. I guess I’ll see you again once I have a genuine vcds. Thanks again :D

Code1027

Reaction score
Hi Bruce, could you please verify if this is a genuine scan? I visited someone through a local forum, he showed that it’s the latest version and has ross tech written on it.

But like earlier the engine module is not showing which makes me think something is wrong, either with the tool(it’s also fake) or my car. I again used carista after an update and it was the same result. The hood was open for the whole duration of both tests. I am worried it’s something with the car, but I’ll wait for you to verify everything first.

Code:
Removed.  Data from a clone/pirate copy of VCDS is not acceptable in Ross-Tech's forum.

Code:
ECU info obtained with Carista 8.5 for Android:

CAN network gateway
Part #: 7E0909901
Component: GW-K-CAN TP20
Software version: 0752
ASAM/ODX identifier: [none]
Coding: 132300 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Engine
[ECU not present]

ABS