2007 Touareg Transmission Issue - Does Not Engage 1st In Drive, Engages in Tip Tronic

Saab99Super

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=571496
Putting this out there before I pull the trigger on a transmission swap. Cars a 2007 Touareg with a 3.6 V6 and 103k on it.

Background on the car, sat for about 5 years due to wrong camshafts and phasers being installed. Got it running. Drove great for ~100 miles. Was driving down the interstate and when got off, trans would not move forward for a split second then banged into gear. Drove it for 3-4 blocks and stopped in a parking lot. Would not take off forward again but still had reverse. Towed it back home. In hindsight, I did not check the trans fluid level (shame on me, shame on VW for not providing a dip stick) when I got it running and remembered that the previous person had the motor out which meant the coolers were all removed. So trans probably was low on fluid due to the trans cooler having to be refilled.

Dropped the pan, did not see anything out of the ordinary for metal etc., was pretty black like it had not been serviced in a very long time. Did not smell burnt. Changed the filter while I was in there, again nothing out of the ordinary there. Refilled with 7 quarts of T-IV Toyota. Reset trans adaptations with VCDS. Still had no movement in 1st forward, it will move in forward if you blip the throttle and it errors out to 5th gear. So, I proceeded to keep experimenting and found:

1: After erroring out to 5th, it sets a 17115 - Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio.
2: If you shift to drive and slide over to tip tronic right away, it will go into first. You can drive it anywhere that way as long as you shift it manually. Only odd thing seen is a shift flare on a 1-2 shift, everything else is fine.
3: If you manually shift up to 2nd and slide back into Drive, it works perfect. Automatically shifts up, kicks down to 3rd, upshifts back to 6th, everything right as rain. Until you come to a complete stop and it tries to take off in 1st again.

My guts telling me it has either a bad solenoid or a bad VB after it sucked up some crud in the pan when it was low. Just putting a feeler out there if anyone else has ran into similar.

Saab99Super

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=571496
Posting a follow up.

Ended up swapping the transmission. Did find that one of the 2 harnesses for the VB had oil in it. Was able to source the complete used trans for $350 and only had 80k on it.

Got er in, reset and the shift adaptations, and all is well now.

Back