Another diesel engine ,few pointers for new users

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
So ,, here s another darling Touareg 3.0 v6 that stopped shortly after filling the tank up. So , the car came in my attention after it was taken to a mechanics shop. Mechanic did a scan and found a error reffering to a faulty " fuel pressure regulator n279 " and low fuel pressure. So...this car had no more errors when i got to it but no start , low pressure measured ( about 7-15 bars on crank ). So i proceeded to find the cuplrit as follow : i made sure the fuel filter was not dry or muddied up ( it was good ). Then i proceeded to spray start the car with the help of the mechanic while monitoring pressure and rpm..stil 7-10 bars sometimes up to 30 bars and lower again.
I unplugged the fuel pressure regulator and took it out , it had rust around it ( as seen in the picture ) and the coil inside it was stuck ( you take the regulator and bump it against a tire until you hear a click clack , fastest method to unstuck it , or probe it with 12 v to hear it clacking. After cleaning the rust and hearing the coil inside clacking , i mounted it back and the car started after couple cranks and few puffs of starting spray. It worked flawlessly for about 5 minutes then the car stopped again. Where i quit and asked the customer to get a new/ used fuel pressure regulator and will go on frim there if problem still persists.
Anyway , in the process of doing this job , i took a few pictures with the basic components ( such as fuel pressure regulator n279 , quantity valve adjuster n270 , fuel pressure sensor and turbocharger actuator ( perhaps it helps new users to identify the components if ever needed , keep in mind these are located on a 3.0 v6 tdi but in principle all diesel are equipped the same ). Hope it helps

Rusty /stuck/blocked fuel pressure regulator

Turbocharger actuator ( on turbo housing )

Fuel pressure sensor ( usually on the end of a rail or anywhere on it )

Fuel pressure/rail/diesel ramp regulator ( regulates the pressure of the rail )

Quantity valve adjuster / fuel pump regulator ( usually mounted on HPFP , adjusts the quantity of fuel delivered )

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
What a turbo actuator looks like inside after you unscrew the four little bolts ( when it s not working the little wires need resoldering/ repair and , it takes a while and special tools )

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Update : the client choose to buy a brand new fuel rail regulator ( about 140 euros ). The mechanic installed it then he called me because the car would not start. Upon my arrival , we purged the rail again and it started for couple minutes and stopped again. We repurged the rail again..this time it started and it sat idle for about 30 minutes while we had lunch. Then it stopped again. So , we opened the fuel filter cap to check it out ( fuel filter changed about 2 months ago ). The find is not good . Yesterday i asked about the fuel filter condition but both client and mechanic knew that it was changed recently and i had to skip that part. There were metal shavings in the fuel..car needs to have all lines cleaned , injectors cleaned/repaired , HPFP and LPFP checked and repaired...all in all the mechanic won t touch this car again unless a thorough cleaning and repair is done. Estimative price + labour included : 1000-1400 euros .
I feel bad for the client , i am his Godfather :) but i cannot help him with this problem.

Last edited:

Dr Sheldon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=334979
There were metal shavings in the fuel..car needs to have all lines cleaned , injectors cleaned/repaired

I would say Fuel Tank, Fuel Lines, Fuel Rail, FRP, Rail Regulator Cleaned.

Injectors, Pump Recon or New, Same for Prime Pump & Filter in Tank

Filter New.

Here, Not possible for 1500 Euro

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
I would say Fuel Tank, Fuel Lines, Fuel Rail, FRP, Rail Regulator Cleaned.

Injectors, Pump Recon or New, Same for Prime Pump & Filter in Tank

Filter New.

Here, Not possible for 1500 Euro
It is possible here because of few things : first of all , SH parts are verified, checked and leave the junkyards with a 14 days return and 30 to 90 days warranty ( legally you cannot sell parts without this condition ). Then labour is around 20 to 40 euros / hour for the mechanics that work with the gates closed ( they skip paying taxes and what not ) and about 40 to 80 euros /hour for those that pay taxes and are legally authorized to do work. And most important thing , people do repair parts here and not always pursue the new part replacement and we do have pretty skilled repairmen around .
So , a recon HPFP with warranty was about 300 euros , new regulator about 150 euros , new FRP sensor about 50 euros , injectors renewed about 50 euros each , new LPFP about 200 euros ( both ), fuel filter about 30 euros and perhaps 350-400 euros for labor ( cleaning tank , pipes, replacing /mounting stuff ). So if you add those numbers up..it s under or at the 1500 euros mark. The car has been repaired and works well with no further problems.

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
So , we opened the fuel filter cap to check it out ( fuel filter changed about 2 months ago ). The find is not good . Yesterday i asked about the fuel filter condition but both client and mechanic knew that it was changed recently and i had to skip that part. There were metal shavings in the fuel..car needs to have all lines cleaned ,
Hi JMR, where did all the metal shavings , in the fuel, come from? (HPFP ??).

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Hi JMR, where did all the metal shavings , in the fuel, come from? (HPFP ??).
Yeap , from the inside of the HPFP rotor or someting inside there.

Back