hex net does not work well enough to trust. have to use hex can cable

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
yeah, I was starting to wonder about that. with the van, it will not check dtc in the engine ecu, errors out too much. very similar with the newer tdi- do you have that problem? what do I need to do to fix the problem? it is EVERY tdi that I have this problem with, the gas cars work perfectly, no problems. I have uploaded autoscans and degbug files showing this. the hex net will NOT check or erase dtc in these tdis, I MUST use the hex can cable to work on these cars

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
We never received the coorelating debug file in the HEX-NET. We either received one or the other. We have only had one other report from a person having the same problem.

If you still have the tdi, and can allow me to remote into the pc when connected to the car, I can fetch everything we need to help find the cause of the issue.

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
Santos, I do still have the car. I just put an intake on it. let me finish the car up and I will call your office sometime in the next few hours.
thanks
zach

Reactions: Uwe

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
hello, i wanted to check and see if there was an update for the communication problem, i have not seen or noticed anything.
i have found another problem- i just completed an auto scan on a 06 jetta. without closing vcds, i closed to auto scan screen to go back to the main screen. still have my auto scan file open, not closed. i then try to open the ecu controller to check mvb. vcds at this point will error out. will not see the hex net. i tested the hex net, said it was not connected or available. when this happens, i have to close vcds, unplug the hex net and start over. this happens randomly but on many many cars. i also need to use task manager to kill vcds as well
thanks
zach

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
i wanted to check and see if there was an update for the communication problem
This problem should be fixed in the next release.

--Shaun

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
Shaun, super cool thanks. will it also fix the communication problem with the 2010 era tdi? also, is there an expected release date for the update?
thanks again
zach

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
It is live now. Go ahead and give CB V0.4304 a try and let us know how it works.
--Shaun

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
communication problem seems to be much worse with new update. happens all most all cars now

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Communications drop outs often indicate that you are either out of range, or your computer is putting some hardware to low power mode which interferes with comms. See here: support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
shaun, thank you. was that indicated in the debug files? I have checked that link, all power settings are and have been set to high performance. when this happens the laptop does not lose connection with my network. this morning the hex net will not work or connect to a vehicle yet, nor would vcds successfully test the adapter

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
how is it over usb? Yes, the debug shows VCDS does not receive information from the HN. It looks like a network issue in the debug files. I dont remember, do these computers use onboard wifi or a usb wifi dongle ?

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
santos- this asus laptop has onboard wifi. it does not lose connection with the network or router. I have used different routers as well. the hex net is not out of wireless range, I am also using the extension cable. I have not used it over usb too many times. however, my hex can cable works fine. question- if this is a wifi connection problem wouldn't the router be more suspect than the laptop? also, if the laptop is not losing connection, is that an indicator or anything? normally this was a bigger problem with 2010 era tdi, now since the last update is seems to be across the board, much worse. I do not know why, may not be related to the update
I am going to hardwire the laptop to the network. I am also going to switch routers. will let you know if anything changes
thanks

Last edited:

zach fowler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=40426
installed new router. working on 2010 jetta wagon 5 cyl. completed autoscan. went back to main screen in vcds, clicked select, very slow to open controller screen, selected 01, very very slow then vcds errored out. back to main screen, tested hex net connection, good connection, tried to open 01 and it opened. this is a normal problem, after autoscan I can not open another controller with out unplugging and closing vcds or testing the adapter.
thanks

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The HEX-NET/VCDS works by sending small packets of data back and forth to the computer/car. If some of those packets get lost due to network issues, it will cause VCDS hang or disconnect from the controller.

I have a feeling this is a network card issue, not a router or HN issue.

I'm ordering a usb network card and sending it to you. You should see an amazon package in a few days. Please test and let us know the outcome.

MichaelEr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=144500
@Santos, just wondering about the internals of VCDS, isn't there any option to do a recovery attempt?
(In case you don't get an ACK from either side, resend it again or something)
Just a suggestion to improve the performance/reliability (although it seems to be working ok for me)

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS does attempt to recover but will timeout after a certain amount of time. This computer has me confused.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Please try using the HEX-NET connected via USB to VCDS and let us know if it does anything different compared to the HEX-USB+CAN.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The HEX-NET/VCDS works by sending small packets of data back and forth to the computer/car. If some of those packets get lost due to network issues, it will cause VCDS hang or disconnect from the controller.

I have a feeling this is a network card issue, not a router or HN issue.

I'm ordering a usb network card and sending it to you. You should see an amazon package in a few days. Please test and let us know the outcome.
Have you got around to testing the new card? I'm very curious to see if the onboard network card was the issue.

elkm36a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=5916
Saw similar issues on a tablet. Turning off the anti-virus program worked.