Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
Hello all, hoping someone can shed some light on this new issue I'm experiencing.

Background: I have a HEX-V2 cable (via Gendan in the UK). I have used it multiple times in the past without issue, including several times on my current Mk5 Golf GTi.

The car failed to proceed yesterday morning. I suspect fuel pump issues, but wanted to see what VDCS threw up.

Cable connected, light flashing green, ignition on, I ran the auto-scan as usual only to be confronted with a 'Function not supported by the gateway' message. I've never seen this before.

I updated the firmware and re-tried, but to no avail. I have also tried manually selecting the Golf MkV from the drop-down list, but this makes no difference.

Hoping someone can suggest a next course of action. Thanks in advance.

Screenshots attached to illustrate:
PXUpiuD.jpg

n1lo5bq.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
The computer sees the HEX-V2. I am concerned with the CAN:Testing... The MKV is on CAN.

Check the fuses for the CAN gateway. Make sure it is powered up.
Check the CAN wiring at the DLC pins

1679495442689.png
Report back...

Reactions: Uwe

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
Thanks Bruce. I tested voltage at the port and didn't get any readings. It then occurred to me that I also have a very basic VW OBD2 code reader in the garage. Hooked that up to the car and it also failed to connect, so the problem is clearly with the port on the car, not VCDS. Fuse (30amp number 13, believe) is fine.

Next job is to figure out why. I noticed on this occasion that the ABS and traction lights stay on, along with a flashing red ((!)) symbol which I believe points to an ABS issue (or low brake fluid, but that's not the case here). The dash also beeped three times. Could a problem with the ABS unit be causing an issue with OBD2, I wonder? Going to unplug the ABS unit to check.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
On an older car that used K-line for diagnostics, it's possible for a failing ABS module (or in theory any other module) to block all communications. However, on an Mk.5, I just don't see that. Communications is via CAN, and it all goes through the car's Gateway module, which acts as a router between the various CAN buses in the car, including the dedicated, blind Diagnostic CAN bus that goes to the port.

There's nothing between the port and the Gateway except the wires, and nothing else is attached to them either. So since you can't talk to the Gateway, the problem is either at the port itself, in the wiring between the port and the Gateway, or the Gateway itself is off-line.

-Uwe-

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
Well you're right, insofar as I just quickly disconnected the ABS module and it made no difference. Going to down tools for today but will have a look online to see what I can find about the Gateway later this evening.

Thanks for your help. This is a funny one...

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
.....care to elaborate? Is there any back story / history here?
Just a British idiom that translates as 'didn't start'.

The car has been fine for the last few months. I had a few electrical gremlins early on in ownership (about 12 months ago) but a new battery resolved those.

Used the car on Monday without issue. Went to start it yesterday: it turned over, ran very briefly (i.e. a second or two) then died. Now when I try to start it, the engine cranks and fires up before dying immediately. I suspect fuel pump because there is no noise (well, a very faint wheeze) coming from the pump in the tank under the rear seats.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I suspect fuel pump because there is no noise (well, a very faint wheeze) coming from the pump in the tank under the rear seats.
Since you have no communications with the Gateway, I suspect there's some common cause, most likely electrical, where some things simply aren't getting powered up.

-Uwe-

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
The computer sees the HEX-V2. I am concerned with the CAN:Testing... The MKV is on CAN.

Check the fuses for the CAN gateway. Make sure it is powered up.
Check the CAN wiring at the DLC pins

View attachment 2151
Report back...
I have investigated the above (having charged the battery overnight).

I have checked resistance between CAN High (6) and CAN Low (14), it's reading 66 ohms. I understand that this is in the right ballpark.
I'm seeing 12.2v between ground (4) and +12v Battery Voltage (16). Same between 5 and 16.

I believe I should be seeing around 2.7v when testing between ground and CAN High (6), and 2.3v between ground and CAN Low (14). However, in both cases they are reading < 1V. Could this be pointing to a problem?

FWIW I am also getting 12.2v at the fuel pump.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
The CAN gateway would seem to be not connected or not powered.. That you got the 66 ohms leads me to think it is connected but not powered. Or, if powered, the module has failed and the CAN driver chip is borked.

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
The CAN gateway would seem to be not connected or not powered.. That you got the 66 ohms leads me to think it is connected but not powered. Or, if powered, the module has failed and the CAN driver chip is borked.
Thanks Bruce. I assume the green flashing light on the Hex V2 is a red herring and simply confirms that there is 12v power to the unit and a connection (via USB) to the laptop?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Yes. That is what it means. The conditions are right for a diagnostic session to begin. But, the CAN is not wanting to speak.

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
I don't suppose you know if there's a straightforward way to confirm whether the CAN module has failed?

Also (showing my inexperience here), is it possible that a bad gateway could be responsible for the starting issues the car is having?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Please verify power to the Gateway before contemplating whether it might have failed.

-Uwe-

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
Possibly a silly question, but does this mean that finding 12v at the OBD2 port (per my earlier post) does not necessarily confirm power to the gateway?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Possibly a silly question, but does this mean that finding 12v at the OBD2 port (per my earlier post) does not necessarily confirm power to the gateway?
Correct, it does not. The 12V on the OBD-II socket's pin 16 is not supplied by the Gateway.

-Uwe-

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
Roger that. Thanks.

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
Popped the existing can bus gateway out this morning and it looks like I might have found the culprit:

tYakMyI.jpg

Not sure how that connector has become so badly corroded. I'm a little concerned about the large red plug that goes into this unit, as it also appears to have suffered with corrosion. Have ordered a used unit from eBay, so will attach that when arrives and see what happens.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
You may be able to clean that up ; considering the state of your gateway module, its worth a try.

Bruce: "Check the fuses for the CAN gateway. Make sure it is powered up".
Also, It looks like Bruce called this in post number 2 !

PaulZR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=408129
You may be able to clean that up ; considering the state of your gateway module, its worth a try.

Also, It looks like Bruce called this in post number 2 !

It's so corroded that a couple of the pins at the top (i.e. on the connector bit) are effectively gone, so I think it's beyond saving unfortunately. No idea how it could have got so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back