COD/ACT timing belt set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCHERSAUTOS

Reaction score
hi there new to the forum
could anybody tell me if any of the diagnostic equipment can be used to set up the cylinder on demand timing belts (COD) as I'm looking to buy the equipment that can do this any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
"cylinder on demand timing belts" is not a term I'm familiar with. What are they used on? What procedures does the factory manual call for?

-Uwe-

ARCHERSAUTOS

Reaction score
ACT is another term, active cylinder technology, I believe that the engine ecu cuts a cylinder when cruising to increase fuel economy used on the 1.5 tfsi engines I believe the timing has to be set up with a 1 degree tolerance

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
ACT is another term, active cylinder technology, I believe that the engine ecu cuts a cylinder when cruising to increase fuel economy used on the 1.5 tfsi engines I believe the timing has to be set up with a 1 degree tolerance
On the 1.5ACT engine there is no extra timing belt for the ACT feature, BUT the timing belt does need to be set very precisely for which there is a different procedure to the non-ACT version which requires a special tool and takes more time. Because of this, in the UK at least, the dealer charge for replacing the timing belt is significantly higher on ACT versions.
AFAIK there is no extra feature needed by diagnostic tools to change the timing belt on ACT engines.

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

ARCHERSAUTOS

Reaction score
thanks for the reply I'm aware the timing belt needs to be set up precisely using diagnostic equipment my query is have any of the ross tech diagnostics got that function

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
If that's any indication, in the factory repair manual for the older 1.4 TSI belt-driven ACT engine (engine code CZEA), I see no references to using OBD diagnostics for a belt change. Just the classic crank locking pin and a camshaft locking clamp. Belt timing is checked visually with the tools.

• Informative

ARCHERSAUTOS

Reaction score
i have done the older ones, but the newer ones apparently unless you get the timing spot on they cause all sorts of problems like stop start not working engine management lights on etc

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
AFAIK there is no extra feature needed by diagnostic tools to change the timing belt on ACT engines.

I'm aware the timing belt needs to be set up precisely using diagnostic equipment

I see no references to using OBD diagnostics for a belt change.
I think the phrase "diagnostic equipment" is causing confusion here - as both siLc and I have said there is no OBD (i.e. electronic diagnostic tool) use when changing the cambelt on ACT engines. However VAG have produced a special physical tool to more securely lock the engine while the cambelt is being changed.

It's the extra cost of purchasing & using this physical tool that has resulted in some UK Skoda owners with the 1.5ACT engine not being able to get a quote for a cambelt change from an independent garage and the higher quotes from franchised dealers.

ARCHERSAUTOS

Reaction score
i see rite.
ok ill look into a physical locking tool then thank you i was under the impression that you needed to put the vehicle onto the diagnostic equipment and set the crank and cams up at the correct position on there
really appreciate everyone's help

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
DON'T DO IT! On the EA211 engine with ACT you will almost certainly end up with a poor running fault unless you use the VAG timing setting system which is nearly £3k

Also the VAG interval for the belt is never, yes, never... fit for life.

• Informative

ARCHERSAUTOS

Reaction score
I guess you mean this, here.
If you look in manual for timing at erwin, it will be described there
that's the tool. just spoken to VW to try to clear up my confusion they told me it was a stand alone piece of equipment that plugs into a laptop for setting up the cams mainly the inlet
so answers my question regarding does the vcds have the capability

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
that's the tool. just spoken to VW to try to clear up my confusion they told me it was a stand alone piece of equipment that plugs into a laptop for setting up the cams mainly the inlet
so answers my question regarding does the vcds have the capability
Since it's stand alone then VCDS isn't needed, just a suitable laptop.

• Agree

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
does the vcds have the capability
As PetrolDave wrote, no.
It is an special Windows program, with an dedicated interface, that communicate direct with potentiometer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back