Resolved New Thread for Old Problem but different - Mk5 GTI w/DSG

Resolved

MVB_

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=164610
Look at the time that the data is collected it is not happening simultaneously so the lines will be close but not the same. There is no need to ask for G182 to be logged more than once.

For an external ground issue, I think you would have more issues occurring in the trans than just the P1740 dtc seeing the mechatronics uses just one chassis ground point.

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Thank you MVB for the insight which makes perfect sense to me. The puzzle remains afoot then. The mechatronics ground point has been fixed by me which eliminated the DTC codes related to P1740. But, I am still getting the PRNDS fluttering and transmission hiccups. As Uwe has suggested, the "fix" by EcuTesting may not have been complete.

Are there any other sensors I should log during a test drive?

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Hello Again if anyone can still tolerate me,

I ran the GTI again but logged different things including the mechatronic N valves. I did two runs. I got partial failure on the first and a big failure on the second early but then it drove great all the way home - about ten miles and ran strong. I noted during the second run though it was running really well the clutch temp got above spec.

I did a scan and got a P1740 intermittent temp sensor.

I will try to sort through this.

1. https://log.tunezilla.com/chart/674...Cw58XwovDlTYXwrHDo8OQw7cxfgHCocOJWD3DggAAAA==

2. https://log.tunezilla.com/chart/674...4BMK7fcOPKnXDiknDt3LDm3vDvwYIwr/Dj0rDjgAAAA==

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Hi,

This all kind of brings it back to the temp sensor. I replaced the mechatronic myself in my carport after it was repaired. In looking back at my scans though I see that initially I had a code or two for the temp sensor but I replaced the mechatronic cover and discovered I had not lined the wires up correctly. I put them in their slots. Now, I wonder if I damaged the wire enough to cause this later problem.

In virtually every other scan since, until lately it has not shown up. My logic tells me that if it was a real wiring issue it would have been consistently popping up. I am loath to take the mecha cover off again but may need to do that. Aargh. The fluid is so expensive.

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Update: Lessons learned from the DIY world.

Thanks for all the help here. I went back under the car, removed the mechatronic cover and confirmed I had not properly secured the G182 sensor wire in its brackets. (so dumb). As a result, I was able to remove the plug with just my fingers. No wonder it was intermittent.

It is exactly the problem referenced in https://www.tsbsearch.com/Volkswagen/37-06-07 as has been posted here many times. I just missed it.

Because of work obligations, I will have to finish up tomorrow and top off the fluid in the transmission and run some tests. I apologize for wasting people's time and thank you all for your patience.

Reactions: Uwe

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Uwe, MVB, and Larry

You are all a gem, a scholar and a gentleman. I found a few moments to get under the hood and finished up adding replacement fluid, set fluid level and took an extensive test drive. I am happy to say I was UNABLE, I repeat, UNABLE to induce the symptoms of before.

I logged the drive and the temps got up in the range that previously were associated with the fluttering. I had no glitches, the transmission was smooth, kick-downs were solid and it performed well in D, TT and is Sport mode. I pushed the GTI hard and soft. I got home and ran a full scan and the only code I got was the radio which we have already addressed.

I think I am done and am so thankful to this group.

What a trip and again I apologize for wasting your respective times.

MVB_

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=164610
No apologizing needed. Glad you located the root cause of your issue. Did you by chance do a log during your last test, would be interesting to see what it shows.

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Hi and thanks again,

I did log it. For reasons I do not understand I cannot access tunezilla at the moment. Their site appears to be down. Is there somewhere else I can send it? I do not see how I can attach the log though here. I have not reviewed and am uncertain if I would understand it anyway. I only logged the speed sensor and the temp sensor and drive position and clutch temp.

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Tunezilla is now working and here is the log.

Let me know what you see because I really don't know how to read it.

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
I did another long 90 minute test drive today without logging but I had no glitches, no odd performance and no fluttering. I think I am actually successful.

Wow, what an ordeal, albeit some of it was self-induced.

jamesmccanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=519855
Hi All,

Last update on this issue for which this forum was so helpful. I have now put about 6 thousand miles on it since I got it fixed up and it remains running in tip-top shape.

Thanks again.

Back