MIB 2 and the possibility of Retrofitting

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I just got my cable today. I have a 2016 Jetta GLI SEL with all the bells and whistles. Not trying to brag, just meaning that I will post my auto scan so everyone can have it :)

Does your unit have VIDEO sub-menu?
The unit i posted doesn't. Kinda downgrade when comparing to 510

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Hello anyone.

Does the MIB2 unit in non-MQB show climatronic info when changing temp?
Huge Thanks!

Dhafer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=36240
Hi,
I mounted 3D cluster on a Tigun 5N from 2013 with the last Gateway BC/AN that show 5F, everything enabled at the dealer,
When trying to remove CP from the Radio is shows that the Gateway 19 must do basic compoentns protections; and there is no options to do that
This looks like that the gateway must ask for CP adaptation, but this have not happen ! even the dealer dont understan why, even after powercycle same issue !
Any pointer ?

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Hi,
I mounted 3D cluster on a Tigun 5N from 2013 with the last Gateway BC/AN that show 5F, everything enabled at the dealer,
When trying to remove CP from the Radio is shows that the Gateway 19 must do basic compoentns protections; and there is no options to do that
This looks like that the gateway must ask for CP adaptation, but this have not happen ! even the dealer dont understan why, even after powercycle same issue !
Any pointer ?

Your VIN not assosiated with discovery radio. Thats it.

Dhafer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=36240
any way to do the association ?

Usafltg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=158348
ive been reading this thread which a friend of mine forwarded to me and I can't help but wonder if anyone has tried to do an EEPROM comparison yet? Read the EEPROM in a
Factory state before it goes into CP mode. Place it in a vehicle which places the unit into CP mode, and then re-read the EEPROM to compare the HEX that was altered. That way the CP mode can be isolated and potentially overwritten by comparing what's changed. In that way, you can spoof it into believing it never left the original vehicle. I would also try isolate the VIN if it's being stored in the unit (not sure from the thread here if it actually is storing it or not).

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
ive been reading this thread which a friend of mine forwarded to me and I can't help but wonder if anyone has tried to do an EEPROM comparison yet? Read the EEPROM in a
Factory state before it goes into CP mode. Place it in a vehicle which places the unit into CP mode, and then re-read the EEPROM to compare the HEX that was altered. That way the CP mode can be isolated and potentially overwritten by comparing what's changed. In that way, you can spoof it into believing it never left the original vehicle. I would also try isolate the VIN if it's being stored in the unit (not sure from the thread here if it actually is storing it or not).

hmm........interesting suggestion, but my understanding is that the master for the entire CP constellation is the CAN Gateway. So, when the CAN Gateway sees that the identity of a module in the constellation is not the same as in the previous ignition cycle, the "offending unit" is instructed by J533 to go into CP mode.

This suggests that a CP error might not be an EEPROM state in the new module - but rather it might be an instruction from the CAN Gateway which persists until the identity of the new module is correctly registered in J533 (as being the identity of the new module that the CAN gateway saw at the previous ignition cycle) - maybe?

I've heard that some third party MIB suppliers have managed to remove CP errors from their units - so I had assumed that these devices simply don't recognize the CP instruction from J533 - but I'm guessing!

Don

Last edited:

Usafltg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=158348
hmm........interesting suggestion, but my understanding is that the master for the entire CP constellation is the CAN Gateway. So, when the CAN Gateway sees that the identity of a module in the constellation is not the same as in the previous ignition cycle, the "offending unit" is instructed by J533 to go into CP mode.

This suggests that a CP error might not be an EEPROM state in the new module - but rather it might be an instruction from the CAN Gateway which persists until the identity of the new module is correctly registered in J533 (as being the identity of the new module that the CAN gateway saw at the previous ignition cycle) - maybe?

I've heard that some third party MIB suppliers have managed to remove CP errors from their units - so I had assumed that these devices simply don't recognize the CP instruction from J533 - but I'm guessing!

Don

Interesting... I have not heard of these "MIB" suppliers per say, unless there is a more up to date thread. That being said, even if the instruction set is being issued from the GW (J533), the unit itself goes into some shut down / protected mode... Which to me, indicates something must have changed on the UNITS EEPROM.

Previously, I was able to successfully do an EEPROM comparison of 2 different comfort modules/IMMOs on a 2010 CC which had been upgraded with a 2013 J533 and a dash retrofit. Unfortunately changing the gateway alone caused a plethora of other errors, including an ELV error that prevented the steering wheel to lock. However, I was able to determine that there was a 1 pin wire difference that needed to be corrected between the original ELV and the new comfort module.... But, how could you adapt a new CCM to an older car? I took to the EEPROMs of both units and isolated the HEX values that contained the Immobilizer information. I then took that piece of code, and replaced it on the new CCM.

This resulted in a perfect adaptation of the keys and original functionality of the car blended with new functionality of the CCM without errors. I documented this on the vwvortex forums.

I would suspect (although I have no way of testing) that the same basic principles could apply in this scenario having the proper J533 installed.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about the MIB units...this is speculation...

The MIB is a much more complicated piece of kit than an a CCM or similar control module.
I've also done CCM swap by copying the EEPROM contents, similarly with ABS modules, door controllers etc.
But the MIB is essentially a custom linux computer. it has 32GB of onboard NAND flash (there may additionally be some other smaller storage such as one or more EEPROMs as well, there probably is some sort of boot ROM for example)
Whilst not impossible, it would be a considerable task to dump and compare the contents of the flash storage as it would change constantly just in normal operation.
The working solution to the 8 hour countdown timer has already been found and it is a hardware modification of the mainboard.

In terms of creating a 'factory' style working CP environment in to which a new MIB is introduced (or other similarly protected module) you would likely need to have a suitable CP capable gateway, CCM and instrument cluster at a minimum on a PQ platform car I believe. Then they would all need to be blessed by VW online tools to be allowed to work together.

Hopefully those more knowledgeable than me will provide some more useful information.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Climatronics display on PQ:

Don't believe this is a supported feature unfortunately.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
In terms of creating a 'factory' style working CP environment in to which a new MIB is introduced (or other similarly protected module) you would likely need to have a suitable CP capable gateway, CCM and instrument cluster at a minimum on a PQ platform car I believe. Then they would all need to be blessed by VW online tools to be allowed to work together.

kamold: That's exactly what I'm trying to do with my test-bench (my virtual mk7) - but not specifically for CP! If only I could find a dealer in Australia that would be willing to modify CP errors on my test bench, I could progress my investigations. But as you know, dealers down-under can be real stubborn and VW Australia won't allow access to FAZIT to independent workshops for this purpose (the association of independent workshops has a case in front of ACCC currently)

If anyone wanted to tailor a test-bench to investigate CP, they would need to source the CAN gateway and MIB unit from the same (wrecked) car - probably also need a steering wheel module and simulated key module to replicate the T15 switch-on sequence.

Don

Reactions: Uwe

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
I think you'd need the instrument cluster as well?
And in the case of a Passat the CCM.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I think you'd need the instrument cluster as well?
And in the case of a Passat the CCM.

Might depend how system is built up. On PQ the CP-Master is Cluster(or CCM on VW CC). Gateway is just info transceiver. On MQB the CP is in GW and possibly cluster isn't needed.

Don

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265663
It 's easy to retrofit MIB2 for all of the MQB platform vechile if you have equipment;You also can Send MIB to us, after activation we sent back.

jwadle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=149894
I've done a retrofit of a MIB II system (Discover Pro) in my 2015 Mk7 GTI. All is working except intermittent problem with SiriusXM showing "Acquiring signal" message. SXM reception is fine, but the message disables volume up function. The only sure way to clear this message that I've found is to switch radio band from SXM to AM to FM and back to SXM. This clears the message and restores volume up function.

I'm looking for some info on the long coding of module 5F (Information Elec.) that might relate to this SXM problem. Does anyone have details on 5F long coding for MIB II?

Thanks

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I've done a retrofit of a MIB II system (Discover Pro) in my 2015 Mk7 GTI. All is working except intermittent problem with SiriusXM showing "Acquiring signal" message. SXM reception is fine, but the message disables volume up function. The only sure way to clear this message that I've found is to switch radio band from SXM to AM to FM and back to SXM. This clears the message and restores volume up function.

I'm looking for some info on the long coding of module 5F (Information Elec.) that might relate to this SXM problem. Does anyone have details on 5F long coding for MIB II?

Thanks

jwadle: Some time back I developed a "compare" spreadsheet for a number of MIBII units from across the world. Anyhow, the file contains the full admap information including the channel settings and code-strings. If the Byte/Bit data doesn't yield any joy - perhaps the channel settings might be of interest. And if none of the information is useful - perhaps the "Green Screens" (development mode) is a further avenue for experimentation?

You can download my file HERE

Don

Reactions: Uwe

Dhafer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=36240
MIB 2 Retrofit

Hi,
I finally retrofit the MIB Discover Media in to PQ35/MK6 like platform
Unlocked unit wuth specific patch (small board/hardware)
and then for 3D and up instruments this require a CAN filter module

Then remap the MIC if you have the Premium Bluetooth and thats it

All is working

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Hi,

All is working
Actually you dont necessarily need a CAN filter if your 3D clocks arent the SW version supporting CP. That is SW 1008.
I have Discover Media PQ and 3D clocks with SW 0705 and no filter needed.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Yes and NO.

Golf platform with 1008 needs can filter, passat not, if you don't have F series CCM.

And CP can be turned off in internal immodata.

Devious

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271177
What do you mean “remap” the mic. I wonder because I’ve got the mib2 in but the mic isn’t working yet.

Hi,

All is working

Back