Status
Not open for further replies.

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
Recently we took our Touareg from Cleveland to North Carolina. I had just done an oil change 2 days before our start. On the way, we got the AdBlue chime and 1 thousand mile warning. When we got to North Carolina, I added 2 1/2 gallons of Peak Blue def. The counter reset and we used the car from 24th thru the 27th. Then the 200mile warning started. The car went to a dealer in Wilmington. They got a warning for AdBlue contamination. They dropped the tank to drain and refill. In the process, they found the heater which had been installed with the recall was missing the retaining ring and was sloshing around in the tank. They replaced the heater, refilled the tank, purged the lines, did a reset and drove it 50 miles. The next day, my wife picked up the car and started back to Cleveland. 50 miles out, the 200 mile warning came back. This time the Nox sensor was indicating a problem. The dealer replaced the sensor, but can not get rid of the mileage code. Recently they have replaced the front Nox sensor and the injector. This has been going on for a month. Now VW Technical support suggests a new ECM which is on back order.
I have just received my hex V2, but I am in Ohio and the car is in North Carolina.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure what to tell you with the vehicle in NC and you in OH.

If it still starts, drive it home without shutting it off? Worst case that's about 700 miles (one tank of fuel in a T'reg) and 11 hours?

-Uwe-

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
Do think the recommendation of a new ECM makes sense before trying the options the VCDS could try? I don't know if the proprietory VW scan tool is capable of giving the dealer an answer.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do think the recommendation of a new ECM makes sense before trying the options the VCDS could try?
No, not really. At least not unless they're willing to provide it for free.

-Uwe-

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
I have sent my Hex V2 to the VW dealer in NC. He will be sending me the auto scan text back to me so that I can copy it to the forum.

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
I don't have the autoscan yet, but I am being told that the VW diagnostic tool is indicating that the car has 50 starts (not mileage) remaining. This doesn't change with repeated starts. Tech service is saying to replace the ECM, but there are none available. I can't find the number of starts anywhere. Does this exist, or is it a calculated value with no consequence.

I am hopeful to get the autoscan soon.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am being told that the VW diagnostic tool is indicating that the car has 50 starts (not mileage) remaining. This doesn't change with repeated starts.
I believe that's normal. In fact, here our 2015, with nothing wrong, shows 25.

-Uwe-

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
Does the # of starts have a code or does it just show up?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's in the measuring values. See this thread and Ctrl+F it for starts. You should find:

IDE03143-ENG57549,Remaining engine starts until reducing agent deficiency-Bits 0-7,25,

However, that's a 2015 and I seem to recall yours is a bit older? If so, the ECU may not be exactly the same.

-Uwe-

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
IDE03143-ENG57549,Remaining engine starts until reducing agent deficiency-Bits 0-7,25, what does this really mean?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
The dealer in North Carolina has indicated that all the components of the AdBlue system are working correctly. He is trying to reset the remaining engine starts that shows up in the VW scan tool . Multiple starts do not reduce the number of starts left .

I suspect the Bosch ECM or its base software is used by several car manufacturers. In this case the ECM
has two codes related to reducing agent deficiency. My theory is that only one, “IDE03142, Remaining vehicle distance until reducing agent deficiency”, has sensors and is activated by the VW software. The other, “IDE03143-ENG57549, Remaining engine starts until reducing agent deficiency”, is a software place holder, has no sensors and is not used by the ECM with VW software. It is used however by Mercedes.

This might explain why VolkswagonTechnical Services can’t reset the number of starts and why they are recommending a new ECM.

If the car won’t shut off, I think I should get the car and drive it back to Ohio, then check the number of starts.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi David,

Although we discussed this a while ago via phone prior to your order shipping I would still encourage your wife drive it home on a day with decent weather. If there aren't any no restart in xxx miles warnings present on the dash and the vehicle is one fuel tank (roughly 700 miles) away from the destination I would go for it.

If she encounters errors while driving, or experiences errors after a stop and restart a few hundred miles into the journey, she can immediately refill it and keep it running from that point on.

Based on the dealership's obsession with IDE03143-ENG57549 (where 25 in shown in all of the vehicle maps that we have access to), and ASSuming it is actually fault-free, I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with the vehicle. Instead, I don't think they have driven the 70 - 90 miles that are necessary in order for the system to self-test so that IDE03386,Long-term adaptation of reduction agent dosage in addition to fault codes can be evaluated.

Last edited:

alexnoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=418771
IDE03143-ENG57549,Remaining engine starts until reducing agent deficiency-Bits 0-7,25, what does this really mean?
It's probably a mislabeling. I don't know about US legislation, but in Europe, car manufacturers can choose between different options on how to shut down the car in case of severe malfunctions of the SCR system. One is a range limit (no engine start after xxx km) which must not exceed the typical range of one full diesel tank (would be a 1100 km count down in my car), another option is limiting the number of remaining engine starts. That's probably why the ECU software supports this.

Last edited:

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
This supports my theory of my post on Thursday at 8:48 am. The dealer is looking into it and will further inform me this coming Monday.

alexnoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=418771
My theory is that only one, “IDE03142, Remaining vehicle distance until reducing agent deficiency”, has sensors and is activated by the VW software.
For the sake of completeness: This value shouldn't be "activated". It's just there. In my car, it always tells the remaining distance, based on recent AdBlue consumption and the amount of remaining AdBlue in the tank.

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
I notice that you do not have a IDE03143-ENG57549 code of your advanced measuring values. The trouble I am having is that myTouareg ECM shows both IDE03142 and IDE03143. I don't think the IDE03143 is being detected as it never changes value.

alexnoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=418771
I notice that you do not have a IDE03143-ENG57549 code of your advanced measuring values. The trouble I am having is that myTouareg ECM shows both IDE03142 and IDE03143.
I was only trying to explain what IDE03142 and IDE03143 probably are.

Concerning IDE03142, someone with a 2016 model has shown me a screenshot according to which IDE03142 returns the predicted remaining range (with no active warning) in his car as well. That's why I said that IDE03142 is not something that get's "activated" (in #12, you suggested that it could get activated). I assume that the reading is always there, and not related to SCR problems.

My ECM doesn't support IDE03143. It supports about 1200 items in advanced measurement values, but not IDE03143.
I don't think the IDE03143 is being detected as it never changes value.
It's quite possible that IDE03143 is never actually decreased. If the value was used by your ECM, it would decrease whenever the engine is restarted while the ECM is in "SCR has problem" state, but it wouldn't decrease when the engine is restarted without a current SCR problem state.

Last edited:

dyarch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=540632
Or IDE03143 is for another car. Mercedes uses the number of starts for an SCR problem. From what the dealer sees, the number of starts doesn't decrease.

alexnoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=418771
Or IDE03143 is for another car. Mercedes uses the number of starts for an SCR problem. From what the dealer sees, the number of starts doesn't decrease.
Yes. When I said:
If the value was used by your ECM, it would ...
I actually meant: If the value were used..., but I thought that "if it were used..." was more common in GB than in the US?

Reactions: Uwe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back