2017 Audi Q3 water damaged!

kerkian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=411097
Good day, I have a 2017 Audi Q3 that was submerged in water. I am attempting to replace all the electrical control modules in hopes that the vehicle can run again without any issues.

I have been trying to get the vehicle in neutral and I have been unsuccessful after many attempts.

I removed the cover for the gear selector and try to push down the yellow tab, however, no luck. It appears like the gear mechanism is seized as a result of the mud and water ingress.

Does anyone know of another way to get the vehicle in neutral?

Additionally, where can I source used control modules?

Here is the VIN detail WAUZZZ8U2HR000532

Thanks

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

If the "Manual release" is not working, then you will need to look at the top of the transmission, where the selector cable attaches to the transmission, there is ball/socket end on it.

You can carefully pry up on that end piece of the selector cable and pop off the socket and then manually (by hand or tool) move the selector on the transmission to the Neutral position.

As far a parts, you may want to look at getting a rolled over/completely destroyed body Audi Q3 and swap over all the parts, controllers, electrical harnesses, interior, etc..

This maybe less money than buying ALL the parts that have been damaged by water and corrosion.

Honestly flood cars are a mess and can be very tempting... but if I was to rebuild a flood vehicle, that is the way I would go... unless you want to be chasing electrical gremlins for years to come!

Where I buy damaged vehicles: https://www.copart.com/
Where I recommend repair info: Official Factory Repair Information
Where I recommend parts info: www.partslink24.com

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Depends on how long its been in water and what kind of water it was in. Salt water will cause huge major issues and corrode a lot of aluminium parts. Waring harnesses, every electrical module, lights airbags etc will need renewing not forgetting the internal damage done to the engine and gearbox.
If its low level flood or minimal you might have a chance.
Been there done that.. some were easy and some were a nightmare

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Uwe

kerkian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=411097
Hello,

If the "Manual release" is not working, then you will need to look at the top of the transmission, where the selector cable attaches to the transmission, there is ball/socket end on it.

You can carefully pry up on that end piece of the selector cable and pop off the socket and then manually (by hand or tool) move the selector on the transmission to the Neutral position.

As far a parts, you may want to look at getting a rolled over/completely destroyed body Audi Q3 and swap over all the parts, controllers, electrical harnesses, interior, etc..

This maybe less money than buying ALL the parts that have been damaged by water and corrosion.

Honestly flood cars are a mess and can be very tempting... but if I was to rebuild a flood vehicle, that is the way I would go... unless you want to be chasing electrical gremlins for years to come!

Where I buy damaged vehicles: https://www.copart.com/
Where I recommend repair info: Official Factory Repair Information
Where I recommend parts info: www.partslink24.com

Hope this helps,

drpeter
Many thanks for your feedback!

kerkian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=411097
Depends on how long its been in water and what kind of water it was in. Salt water will cause huge major issues and corrode a lot of aluminium parts. Waring harnesses, every electrical module, lights airbags etc will need renewing not forgetting the internal damage done to the engine and gearbox.
If its low level flood or minimal you might have a chance.
Been there done that.. some were easy and some where a nightmare
Thank you, It was flooded during heavy rains. I am unaware of the length of time it has been sitting in the water. If the engine and transmission are seized then I don't think I will try to go any further.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Salt water will cause huge major issues
No doubt. A friend of mine recently had a 2020 Toyota Tacoma (which I think is a Hilux in the rest of the world?) that got salt water to a few inches above the door sills. Some got got in the cabin. This happened due to the most recent hurricane in FL, while the truck was sitting in his garage. His insurance company took one look at it and wrote it off as a total loss, despite the fact that appearance wise, the truck was perfect.

-Uwe-

• Informative
Reactions: JMR

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
there are lots of wires/connectors and the /ecu mounted on the passenger side ( where you keep your feet in the older Toyota/ Mitsubishi /Nissan trucks sold in Europe. That might as well be the case with that Tacoma so it makes sense if so

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
I would start with basics like getting the engine to turn by hand and freeing up the gearbox linkage and see if that can turn the wheels off the ground

Back