2003 Passat 2.8L Temp Sender

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
I have the new temp sender in but I can't tell if it's down all the way. Where it is now I cannot tell how the clip would hold it in. Any suggestions?

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
How can I put enough pressure on the sensor to seat it?? I have tried numerous times but I cannot get the sensor seated. I pulled the new sensor back out and I tried to get the new oring out to start over but I dropped it. The old and new orings are somewhere unknown. I'm pretty fed up after hours messing with this so I will start fresh tomorrow. If I can't find either oring ( Edit: I can't ) I will try to buy one. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's 7:55Pm, I started at 2:00PM.....

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JMR

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
well , it usually goes all the way in and then you fit the clip..i don't know why you encounter such hard time there

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
you just have to field it there by hand buddy..i don't know how to explain how much pressure to put on it. Put it there and see if you can fit the clip in. If the clip seems to catch ongood , then you won't be able to take the sensor out, so i'd say job done..

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
I have tried three times and each time the clip doesn't catch the sensor. I can pull it right out. I lost the old and new o-rings so I have one (actually TWO so I'm not stuck again ) coming in tomorrow. I will try again when I get it. It has been very frustrating. My 67 year old hands look like I've just returned from war and I lost..

• Sad

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
Another night struggling with it. I don't know what I am doing wrong or how anyone could possibly do it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Perhaps some photos would be useful here?

I've had some reports that this is a duplicate of your other thread. I don't see it that way. Yes, it's the same car, but here we've got a specific question not related to a scan tool, so it belongs in this section.

-Uwe-

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
Well, this just isn't working. I can get it in but it takes some pressure to hold it down. When I let go it pops up. I have struggled with long tools trying to hold it down and I have now ruined the switch. I wonder if I should take that intake tube above it off? If i could hold it with one hand and clip it with the other. As it stands I might be towing it to the dealer in the end.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Something is wrong, Sensor goes in very easy with same Vaseline on o-ring, no need any hard pressure at all. If you can not get sensor in then you may have something in that hole. Are you sure old O-ring is out?
I have seen many times that old O-ring stays in .

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
The oring is out. The whole seems clean. I can get it in but I cannot hold it in which seems necessary to keep it down far enough for the clip to catch and hold it. I am going to attempt to take the aluminum? intake tube off that is above it even though no videos I have watched shows them doing that. I think then I can hold it with my right hand while I place the clip with my left. Otherwise I will have to try to find someone to come to help me OR tow it to the dealer. I am feeling pretty stupid for even trying to do this myself.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
The oring is out. The whole seems clean. I can get it in but I cannot hold it in which seems necessary to keep it down far enough for the clip to catch and hold it. I am going to attempt to take the aluminum? intake tube off that is above it even though no videos I have watched shows them doing that. I think then I can hold it with my right hand while I place the clip with my left. Otherwise I will have to try to find someone to come to help me OR tow it to the dealer. I am feeling pretty stupid for even trying to do this myself.
You do not need to hold it down at all,Sensor goes in and stay like that and clip will go right in with out holding sensor. So as I mention something is not right.
Put little Vaseline on o-ring to go in easy , I always do this and works perfect.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I sounds like there is still something in the "hole" , as stated by Jetta 97, do you have the old sensor ; try that one again just to see if it fits. If not, then there is something blocking the sensor from seating properly ; if it does seat, then you have the incorrect part. (??). Photos would really help as noted in post #8.

Is this your part ???

iu

Last edited:

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
I will try to get photos. I have to take a day or two away from it or I might go insane, six days at it so far. I borrowed a vehicle to use in the mean time.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
After reviewing this video, I can see where you might have some difficulty accessing this sensor (especially if you do not "wrench" often). I'm not familiar with this intake tube set up ; but perhaps you can disconnect it or partially move it so you have some additional access. (???). Keep trying!

Reactions: Uwe

DPATE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529025
I sounds like there is still something in the "hole" , as stated by Jetta 97, do you have the old sensor ; try that one again just to see if it fits. If not, then there is something blocking the sensor from seating properly ; if it does seat, then you have the incorrect part. (??). Photos would really help as noted in post #8.

Is this your part ???

iu
Yes

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Beautiful !
:thumbs:
If you can, stick a rag or something absorbent in the opening to pull out some coolant and take a quick look to make sure nothing is preventing the sensor from seating.
Also, glad to see you removed the intake tube!

On that first pic, that cord looks like it has a cleaned off mark on it / like a rub or pinch mark????? Perhaps that was getting caught between the sensor and mounting ??? :confused: