Can VCDS perform a dataset dump from an ECU address

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
I recently used a generic ELM327 dongle and a simple mobile app that allowed me to read/write and dump the dataset from an address in an ECU on an Audi B9 car.

Is VCDS able to perform a similar function?

If not, why not?

I realise that VCP could always do this and I'm not suggesting that VCDS try and do what VCP can. But if a generic ELM327 dongle that almost costs nothing can, why can't a polished product like VCDS do the same? Product choice or some restrictions?

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
I have VCP and I think it is a terrible system, not even in the same league as VCDS.

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
I wouldn't want VCDS to try and compete with VCP. My question was how come VCDS cannot perform a simple ECU dataset read/write. A feature that a simple generic dongle and software can perform. VCDS is so much more powerful. Hence my genuine question, can it read and write the dataset from a specific address of a specific ECU. Am I just not looking in the right place?

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
I think it has to do with the public (from enthousiast to professional) and safety. I don't think you can mess a module up so badly it can't be restored within 5 minutes.
With the exception of the PQ35 byte 18 from BCM, that is.

• Agree

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I recently used a generic ELM327 dongle and a simple mobile app that allowed me to read/write and dump the dataset from an address in an ECU on an Audi B9 car.
What app? And which control module?

Is VCDS able to perform a similar function?
No, not at present.

-Uwe-

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
I don’t think even ODIS can do it, without wanting to seem fick, what do you use it for? My heads a bit stuffy today, nasty ear infection

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don’t think even ODIS can do it,
Yup, last time we looked at this, ODIS did not appear to have any way to dump a dataset.

-Uwe-

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
Car Scanner https://www.carscanner.info/ has a "Dataset dump" feature under its "Coding & Service" MQB section. You get a small list of ECU addresses e.g. 5F and a defined list of dataset addresses e.g. 0x03B00. When you click that, the screen is prefilled with the ECU access key and the length of the dataset. Click Read and it will read that. You can make changes and then Write that dataset back. All of this is done using a generic ELM327 dongle, nothing special.

• Informative

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
I don’t think even ODIS can do it, without wanting to seem fick, what do you use it for? My heads a bit stuffy today, nasty ear infection
I have done what I needed to do using the method above. Just wondered why this feature wasn't available on VCDS.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
I think what you are refering to is similar to BMW Scanner (1.4x i think old version ) which would allow read/ write into the dump data.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Just wondered why this feature wasn't available on VCDS.
Sounds to me that without knowning exactly what each byte does (where do you get reliable, i.e. not internet, information about that) it would be really easy to mess things up big time.

One thing the developers of VCDS seem to pride themselves on is good customer support (something that cannot be said of many other tools) and when someone messes up their vehicle from dataset 'mangling' without taking a backup (which most people don't do!) supporting that could be a nightmare.

Just my thoughts and $0.02

Reactions: JMR

AINils

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56975
Yup, last time we looked at this, ODIS did not appear to have any way to dump a dataset.

-Uwe-
ODIS have it, but not as simple function. You have to know what to do. But only possible on a hand of ECU, like MIB, some ACC .....

@all Dataset dump only possible in EOL Session and actually only know MIB2, MIB3 (only a small circle of people can do) and Conti ACC are capable of dumping dataset

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
Even the Car Scanner app has a Dataset Dump option only for a few specific ECUs and addresses.

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
Each time parameterization is performed via ODIS online, a temporary file is created in the following directory " C:\Program Files (x86)\Offboard_Diagnostic_Information_System_Service\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\ xxx \data\ dms2\ " (the directory xxx may vary).

These files contain the module parameterization and are in XML format. They are only available while ODIS is online. So that should give us the definition of these bytes being dumped, No?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001