Regarding using the measuring blocks on a BDF. How do you find the values that you are looking for to enter a search? In my case I wish to see what the measuring block I am looking for regarding the positioning of the respective VVTs. Then I need to know what that value should look like. I am new to this so forgive the lack of understanding. I bought the software and the proper cord so that I could use VCDS to help with my projects. I believed there would be the support I needed via the forums but from some of the posts I have made my questions seem to be dismissed. My Jetta won't start after a timing chain refresh. at first there were codes. After rechecking the timing, I found the exhaust cam retarded (seventeen rollers instead of sixteen) the engine started and ran 30 seconds and died. Now it's no start again. There are no codes now. Before I rip this apart again to check timing once more, is there a way to use measuring blocks to see if the cam(s) are off and where do I find the values that should be the correct data for this engine. Frustrated and tired of watching videos and threads of misinformation elsewhere.
Figured someone here may have an answer as I am not getting much love at the Ross Tech site. Just did a head gasket and chains on my sons BDF. upon putting it back together it was a no start, but the codes shown were of the manifold valve and the exhaust cam sensor implausible signal. I also had...
You seem to have had a number of problems with the engine. You also jump from topic to topic at random so its hard to follow this tread and what the current problem with no start is.
You clearly had inadequate compression and you have not said whether this has been verified and fixed or not. You played with the timing that you assembled wrong and appear to be struggling with finding the measuring blocks for the cam timing but until you can run the engine I don't think you will get meaningful current data for that.
The classic no start not error situation is a failed / failing crank timing sensor.
With the timing observed to actually be correct, measure compression again. Mostly because of the weird results earlier. Wide variation between cilinders gives me a much shittier (can I say that on a US forum?) feeling than compression being (too) low on all cylinders evenly.
Thanks for the replies, currently have it apart to double down on the timing. regardless of the compression I did have it running for 30 seconds. This engine had no crank pulley when I got it. I used the one from the BDF my son ran out of oil. I did my initial timing from the flywheel side and marked the front pulley to correspond. There is a mark on the front pulley from the factory or a previous mechanic. My initial attempts between these two marks resulted in a half tooth issue that created slack on the long guide side using the existing notch, I attributed this to the previous engine specs. So I went with the values from the block seam/notched gear. I am going to go off of the pulley mark this go around hoping I don't have to deal with the chain slack. Since I did rings on this engine, I expect it to be erratic not warmed up or seated yet.