I'll fix your B9 rocker arm failure

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
hello fellow Audi owners I'm new to Audi forums but can't wait to get a good feel of this environment of Audi enthusiast. i bought my s4 last year used with 36k miles on it and paid a decent price on it. since I've owned this car i absolutely love it. I've noticed some ticking noises under the valve covers and most dealers will write it off as a common fuel tick from the actuator on top (something like that) i went ahead a digged a bit on this common problem and seems to me its the rocker arm failure in all their engines with this engine code. soooo since the dealer asked a ridiculous amount to repair this issue and there's no recalls on this i decided to do it on my own WITHOUT PULLING THE ENGINE!! and guess what a massive success Audi lovers, i did this job in two days (this past weekend) since sealant needs time to cure. after doing this job i have noticed that indeed rocker arm failure was the issue, car has 48k miles currently. if you have any questions and need help lmk

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
hello my name is josh im located in the socal area specifically the OC area. last year i bought my 2018 audi s4 with 36k miles at the time and now currently has 48k miles with premature rocker arm failure. most dealers either don't want to touch it or give you a ridiculous amount of money to pay for the service to be done. i decided to take the task upon myself and get it done WITH THE ENGINE INSIDE THE CAR. Guess what a massive success and took me only the weekend to get it done. if you need help and need this done and don't want to get rid of your beautiful s4 lmk and if your in the area i can possibly drive to you and make your car drive not only smoother but regain the factory power or even better. after doing this repair i couldn't believe how quiet the engine sounded and only thing i can here is the exhaust with of course even stock sounds amazing. thanks for reading my post and hit me up whenever you decide you want this work done at a way reduce priced from dealer cost

ps. Engine code CWGD (EA839)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Welcome Josh. But please refrain spamming this forum with multiple threads offering this service.

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
HI Josh, glad to hear of your success! I'm currently in the market for a 2019 RS5 (it has the same issue).... but later decided to avoid this very issue by searching beyond build date 7/2019 ; perhaps a 2020. I have a thread in "Uwe's Bar" on this very topic and its also complete with YouTube videos.

As a verified VCDS user, it sure would be great if you could write up a detailed narrative on a step by step procedure to change the rocker arms and either post it here with your post or with what I started in the "Uwe's bar" category. Also, include any RT VCDS steps as well.

A complete Auto-Scan and a prod. date of your car would be very helpful to the forum as well.

Thanks again for your post and for further illuminating this potentially catastrophic engine issue.

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
HI Josh, glad to hear of your success! I'm currently in the market for a 2019 RS5 (it has the same issue).... but later decided to avoid this very issue by searching beyond build date 7/2019 ; perhaps a 2020. I have a thread in "Uwe's Bar" on this very topic and its also complete with YouTube videos.

As a verified VCDS user, it sure would be great if you could write up a detailed narrative on a step by step procedure to change the rocker arms and either post it here with your post or with what I started in the "Uwe's bar" category. Also, include any RT VCDS steps as well.

A complete Auto-Scan and a prod. date of your car would be very helpful to the forum as well.

Thanks again for your post and for further illuminating this potentially catastrophic engine issue.
thank you dear sir i much appreciate it. yes very exciting news for my S4 and myself:) i definitely want to help others with this same problem. unfortunately i don't have many photos of the steps and process to have a writeup on rocker arm replacement. once i am able to work on another EA839 i will get that for everyone should be soon

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
the camshaft time kit i used, amazon for 400 bucks part number T40331

68322225212-2-A05-B95-C-C294-4-E31-9705-351-AF3523487.jpg

Last edited:

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
old rocker arm on left and new rocker arm on right side you can see the new upgraded rocker arms have bigger thicker bearings, smaller pin

IMG-3142.jpg

Last edited:

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
IMG-3144.jpg

in this photo you can clearly see the issue with the old rocker arms both in photo are old part numbers. the roller is crushed but thankfully the cam was in good shape still. while pulling this particular rocker arm i noticed it was in a locked position and cannot be turned (rolled) from my knowledge i did not see any bearing pieces in oil pan nor top of engine

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Welcome Josh. But please refrain spamming this forum with multiple threads offering this service.

-Uwe-
he is excited, i'll give him that ...;)

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
i decided to take the task upon myself and get it done WITH THE ENGINE INSIDE THE CAR.
on the front seat or rear seat ?? :)

Last edited:

davisev5225

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263265
Haha definitely the front seat 🤣

Real shade-tree mechanics know the back seat is better. You can lay the seat down to have more room for your tools, plus that leaves the front seat available so you can still climb in and test-start the engine while you work. :p

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
Real shade-tree mechanics know the back seat is better. You can lay the seat down to have more room for your tools, plus that leaves the front seat available so you can still climb in and test-start the engine while you work. :p
So smart 😄

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Not knocking the hussle but I have yet to see one of these with this issue. Most common issue so far have been inconsistent tolerances during final assembly. Seen plenty of metal flake oil changes with those engines.

But it is possible I just haven't seen one yet. I guess time will tell. Swung in a few long blocks due to metal on the oil. Never a dull moment and nothing like job security.:D

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
Not knocking the hussle but I have yet to see one of these with this issue. Most common issue so far have been inconsistent tolerances during final assembly. Seen plenty of metal flake oil changes with those engines.

But it is possible I just haven't seen one yet. I guess time will tell. Swung in a few long blocks due to metal on the oil. Never a dull moment and nothing like job security.:D
Haha exactly my point brother those flakes are most likely from your rollers giving out! I had shavings/flakes in my pan too when I pulled it and nothing but roller pieces

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Very similar issue on a Chrysler Pentastar , also a V6 ; I'm starting to wonder if these original roller rockers were all made by the same manufacturer (???).

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
Very similar issue on a Chrysler Pentastar , also a V6 ; I'm starting to wonder if these original roller rockers were all made by the same manufacturer (???).

Thanks crazy, they should definitely be designed much more efficiently then it gets me thinking I mean how much force is getting put on these rollers and it’s just a matter of time :confused:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
W-H-A-T did he just say: time, 0:18 to 0:25........... !!!! I guess one could infer that the same manufacturer makes these roller rockers for many OEM's. :confused: Very informative video, although this is Not a Audi engine.

Itsmys4

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523098
hello also here is the visual/sound of my engine after i got the rocker arms replaced with the new revised ones

Back