VCDS Updates.

BigG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37045
I used to always get regular updates but recently I notice I haven't had any. Today when I went to use my VCDS, I am probably a low user I should say but still find it a valuable tool, it needed updating. I had to log on to the site and it was like a re-downloading of the entire software. By the time I had done that my battery was flat, so running my planned scan had to wait until it was charged. Is there any way I can get back on to regular updates or have I now had it too long, maybe?
Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
I used to always get regular updates but recently I notice I haven't had any.

Seems I get your look when I read posts like this! :D ;)

I think your memory of what happens is not quite spot on. I've been hanging at Ross-Tech for 18 years now. The software never self updated as Uwe Ross would never permit such. Always one had to go to the Ross-Tech website and download the latest release.

It is possible that you are recalling that the interface firmware would update. Here again, you had to tell it to do so. The process would be - Download the updated copy of VAG-COM or VCDS, install it, and then run a test. During the test, if an interface update was needed, that update was shown and you had to agree to let it run its course. If you didn't, then it was possible that the software would either nag you or might not work as intended.

But, I take exception to your recollection. We do not push updates to your device. You have to actively go download and install the updates.

Reactions: JMR

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The software never self updated as Uwe Ross would never permit such.
Technically correct, it never self-updated, but it does check on start-up whether there's a newer version available, and if there is, it will ask you if you want to download it. :)

If it doesn't do that, have a look at the "Check for free updates" section on the User Interface and Identification tab of the Options screen:

options-2.png

-Uwe-

BigG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37045
Well maybe it was my computer checking and finding updates but I can assure you for several years I have had what seemed to me like regular updates. I would get a box up which said a newer version is available and I wouldclick to install. If I didn't follow the prompts it wouldn't work but usually I did and there was no issue. This was also before I had a wi-fi connection, so if I went out to a car to scan and it wasn't updated, I would have to come back in and look for an update, I think that maybe happened 3 or 4 times including today.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
........what seemed to me like regular updates. I would get a box up which said a newer version is available and I wouldclick to install.

HI, per the screen shot Uwe posted in post #2, which of the three choices do you have selected under the pull down menu "check for free updates". ? (note downward pointed arrow).

Reactions: Uwe

BigG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37045
I set it to Betas and updates but I think that may be wrong. I got an error message after it updated again the next day; "Legacy interfaces such as your Ross-Tech Hex/USB are not supported by this Beta build. Hex/Net or V2 required and my interface will be supported again in release version". Should I maybe have just set it to "Updates"?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

BigG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37045
I guess I must be as that's what it is telling me, does that sound correct?
I must have gad it since around 2004/5 but I don't remember anyone calling it a 'Legacy'.

BigG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37045
You surely don't remember back that far?

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Company client records are a thing ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Company client records are a thing ;)
Right, and keeping them in a computer makes searching them rather easy. :cool:

(However, I'm old enough to have worked at businesses that kept their client records in physical paper files, arranged in alphabetical order in the drawers of filing cabinets).

-Uwe-

BigG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=37045
Yep, me too and at one stage someone was actually stupid enough to put me in charge of them, thanks goodness for computers, a few years in and no-one wanted to look back that far (and find my mistakes) :)
So, getting back to the task in hand, do you think I should have it set to "Updates" only?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So, getting back to the task in hand, do you think I should have it set to "Updates" only?
There is no choice of "Updates only".

The choices are:
* Do not check for updates
* Release only
* Releases and Betas

You should use "Releases only".

-Uwe-

BigG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number