New injectors for my 1.4 TSI (CAVD) - How to "Delete adaptation values injectors" -> possible / necessary?

Scirocco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373010
Hi everyone!
I drive a 2009 Scirocco with the infamous 1.4 TSI and am obviously having some issues with it :rolleyes: Due to random misfires and after looking inside the engine with a endoscope, I decided to change the injectors. They were pretty clogged (oil deposits) and I took the opportunity to clean the entire intake system including the valves. Unfortunately, that didn't work out as I had hoped, so I probably have a mechanical / compression problem.

Nonetheless, there may be another possibility. The original VW repair manual suggests the following after the installation of the new injectors: Connect the vehicle diagnostic tester and perform the Guided function "Delete adaptation values injectors". So I have a little hope left.

But I could not find this option with my VCDS Hex V2. There could be two possibilities in the VCDS Menu: Basic Settings and Adaptation. Still I could not figure out how to "Delete adaptation values injectors". Does anyone has some experience with these adaptation values for TSI petrol engines and is it even necessary to delete the settings (for TDIs it seems to be a different story)? My car started quite smoothly after the install and my consumption dropped significantly. Only at maximum boost (~4000rpm) the misfires still occur... :cry:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do we have an Auto-Scan from this car somewhere already? If not, please post one.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
he entire intake system including the valves. Unfortunately, that didn't work out as I had hoped, so I probably have a mechanical / compression problem.
yeap , they're not the strongest engines ever made. So how did the valves look ? Also, please verify compression, the pistons heads on this model are known to develop hairline cracks...
Alas..have you checked on what piston you have misfires? Could be also a bad ignition coil or spark plug ( pay attention to what spark plugs manufacturer put in).

Scirocco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373010
yeap , they're not the strongest engines ever made. So how did the valves look ? Also, please verify compression, the pistons heads on this model are known to develop hairline cracks...
Alas..have you checked on what piston you have misfires? Could be also a bad ignition coil or spark plug ( pay attention to what spark plugs manufacturer put in).

Yes, these engines are only partially strong and have many weak points. I have learned that replacing these weak parts will not cure the engine in the end. The EA111 has always been an old block that was not suited for forced induction. Somehow there is no balance in the combustion and exhaust gases.
The misfires occur randomly on cylinder 2-3-4, there are no additional fault codes. I did a complete overhaul about 30k kilometers ago with forged pistons, new timing chain and stronger coils (Audi R8) - also with more boost, to get some fun out of that investment :D
Compression was good on all cylinders (I recently measured around 12 bar), but unfortunately I saw that all cylinder walls are pretty worn again. As I said, something is out of balance with this engine. The valves were not too dirty this time, but I could still do a leak test by pressurizing the cylinders. I use the NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs which are the best choice for remapped engines.

Scirocco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373010
Do we have an Auto-Scan from this car somewhere already? If not, please post one.

-Uwe-
It's a general question - is there a way to delete the injector adaptation values for petrol TSI engines using VCDS and is it even necessary?

Scirocco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373010
So nobody has experience in this field?

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Probably not too many engine builders around.

Like you said, the EA111 is not the best engine as evidenced by the CAV* engine problems. When buying my Passat 6 years ago, I looked into these issues and wouldn't have bought it if the natural gas variant of the EA111 Twincharger wasn't known to be solid, which it actually has been for me, having driven some 120000km. Only had to replace one coil and one cracked PCV plastic pipe on top of the engine. Though if you want to have absolutely no misfires at any time, then that engine will not achieve that.

You might need ODIS GFF for “Deleting injector adaptation values”. That's info from ErWin.