Transmission code

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Mechatronic was just rebuilt by ECU Testing in the UK
Perhaps you could send them a message and see if they have any suggestions (?) Can't hurt.

Tennessee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=520695
Thanks. I did send them a message. I was informed they test the units but have no knowledge of install issues. I was informed the unit was a no fault ans was working correctly. I opted to have the unit rebuilt anyway. I have now ruled out the mechatronic because the issue was exactly the same before it was rebuilt

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Tennessee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=520695
The transmission was experiencing the same issue before the rebuild as well. I could have sworn it was the mech unit

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
I would say that rebuild is shit. Get a new mech or a good used one and call it a day. I totally missed that part that it got rebuilt. Light that dumpster fire and purchase a good known mech.

I would also get your money back or a partial refund.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I would say that rebuild is shit. Get a new mech or a good used one and call it a day. I totally missed that part that it got rebuilt. Light that dumpster fire and purchase a good known mech.

I would also get your money back or a partial refund.
Agree 100%.

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
Maybe we should aks @Crasher what he thinks of those rebuilds. ;)

-Uwe-

Not just in general but ECU Testing are very close to where I live and are notorious in the local trade. I can relate these two tales as they are from personal experience and they cannot deny what has happened. A couple of years ago another garage from Derby brought me a Fabia with DSG failure. To cut a long story short they had misdiagnosed the stuck in park issue as the mech and didn’t know about the emergency release under the selector cover even though the breakdown company had used it to recover the car (I know, really stupid mistake but hey, we are all human) and sent the mech to ECU Testing for repair. It was sent back diagnosed as not faulty and when refitted, didn’t work at all now. We had already found the problem was the selector lever lock was faulty as the contents of a coffe cup had gone through it from the centre consul above. The new part took four months to arrive plus a new genuine mech which would have not been needed if not messed around with. As far as I know the battle between garage, owner and ECU testing is still ongoing.

A few weeks ago a customer brought me a very late Golf 3 VR6 with no ABS, the scan said left rear wheel sensor and I know this is an indication of Teves Mk20 ECU failure so I swapped over the connections under the back seat and the code didn’t move, showing the ECU to be the problem.

This problem with the right hand drive Mk20 has been going on for decades and only appears to affect those with EDL, we were fitting new units when they were four years old last millennium! Unfortunately they are now completely obsolete from any possible source and I know from experience in the past they cannot be repaired as it is water damage to the circuit board because the AC condensate drain is directly overhead, fucking stupid design…

I won’t have anything to do with ECU Testing, in fact I find all such companies charlatans. Instead I took a punt on a company that had fixed a Golf 4 dash for me (even though they fucked up the immobiliser coding!), this was AC Tronics. I filled in their trade only online form and the system proudly proclaimed the unit was repairable, I printed off the shipping label and sent it off. Two days later they called and said they could not fix it as it will not work on their machine for speed sensor testing and asked for £60 to send it back to me…FFS!

The cars owner found a used unit and so we plugged it in but it didn’t work and showed pump outside tolerance and coding incorrect, which it wasn’t. The owner took it away and came back a few days later and happily stated that ECU Testing had fixed it, I plugged it in and it still says coding incorrect but I took a chance and plumbed it in and bled it. The incorrect coding won’t clear and I cannot get into basic settings to properly bleed it. Back to square one.

Last edited: