1992 Passat GL, clearing codes and testing EVAP

Sawbones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523035
I'm arguing with a 1992 Passat GL wagon. 2 liter, 16V, 5 spd manual. I had it to a garage and the best he could do was get me a few codes. His software couldn't do anything more such as clearing codes. I went for the Hex V2 Enthusiast for $199. What I want to ask, the codes were pointing to a bad O2 sensor which makes sense. My head gasket let go a little while back. I changed it but I guess the sensor caught a good snootfull of hot antifreeze and did it in. I changed it for a Bosch one but the code is probably still there right? Will clearing the code help it run better if the fault has been corrected? I tried VCDS lite with Chinese cables going from the DB9 port to the 2X2 but I didn't get it to work. It won't recognize anything. Computers aren't my thing but I guess going from the DB9, you have to configure "things". I'm hoping the Hex V2 will do something for me. I figured I'm not rich enough to buy more junk so I went for the good stuff. I know I won't get much for data but if I can at least clear codes and test the EVAP stuff I'd be happy.

Also, I got a notification e-mail. "Sawbones, the account you registered at Ross-Tech Forums has now been approved. You may now visit our site as a registered member.". But I still have "Your registration is currently under review. During this process you will not be able to create a thread. Verification is processed by a human and may take up to one business day.". This is the only place I can post. Am I missing something?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Once you get "Verified" you'll be able to post in all public forums, but in the meantime please post an Auto-Scan here so we can take and look and advise now - once you're verified an admin will move the thread to the appropriate forum.

Last edited:

Sawbones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523035
The codes that I got were from the garage scanner. Sorry if I mis-worded or something. So far, I am unable to get any kind of codes on my own. Hopefully with the real stuff I can do better.

Once I can connect to the vehicle I'll post a scan result. Right now there's no results. It'll test each address 4 times and move to the next but I get nothing.

I thought the e-mail meant that I was verified. I guess it just means that I'm in line for verification. Is that accurate?

I bought direct from Ross Tech as well. I heard about people getting burned by fakes or buying secondhand and having trouble with registration.

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I thought the e-mail meant that I was verified. I guess it just means that I'm in line for verification. Is that accurate?
Correct, you are registered ; the next step by RT is Verification. Two different "screenings". Being a Holiday weekend, it may be a day or so longer. You'll be fine, just continue on with your questions.

I bought direct from Ross Tech as well. I heard about people getting burned by fakes
Glad to hear you were informed! Good move!

The next step (your "initiation" :D) is to post a Auto-Scan , as PD suggested. Click on his link Dark Blue in Bold (above) in his post #2. Let us know how it goes! Welcome SB !

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
But I still have "Your registration is currently under review. During this process you will not be able to create a thread.
That message seems to be some kind of bug in the forum software. Obviously you can create a thread, because you did. ;)

I bought direct from Ross Tech as well.
Ordered late yesterday afternoon. Too late to ship. We'll get you Verified once your order has actually been processed. :)

I don't remember how much a 1992 Passat 16V will really tell a proper scan too. IIRC, it ain't much. That was very much "first generation" of "rapid data transfer" diagnostics.

-Uwe-

Sawbones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523035
Correct, you are registered ; the next step by RT is Verification. Two different "screenings". Being a Holiday weekend, it may be a day or so longer. You'll be fine, just continue on with your questions.

Glad to hear you were informed! Good move!

The next step (your "initiation" :D) is to post a Auto-Scan , as PD suggested. Click on his link Dark Blue in Bold (above) in his post #2. Let us know how it goes! Welcome SB !
Once I'm able to communicate with this thing, I'll post an auto scan.

Sawbones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523035
That message seems to be some kind of bug in the forum software. Obviously you can create a thread, because you did. ;)

I can only post in this section. It'll work for now though.

Ordered late yesterday afternoon. Too late to ship. We'll get you Verified once your order has actually been processed. :)

I don't remember how much a 1992 Passat 16V will really tell a proper scan too. IIRC, it ain't much. That was very much "first generation" of "rapid data transfer" diagnostics.

-Uwe-

I think it was Helen in sales, real nice lady regardless of name, told me it would ship on Tuesday. On Saturday I ordered the 2X2 adapter. I sent a message asking to combine shipping and apologies for nonsense. I should have ordered them both together. My Uncle used to say "Only takes a few dollars more to go first class.". I did continuity testing on my Chinese 2X2 adapter vs. the pinouts on the Ross tech site and it's not adding up. I just went and ordered the Ross tech adapter as well so I can at least not think about that. If it's a PITA to refund shipping, I'm honestly not too concerned. So long as they show up at the same time.

As far as what data this vehicle will give me, did you ever watch Venture Brothers? I figure it'll go something like this...
whPmtETh.jpg

I only want to try clearing codes and running the EVAP stuff through it's paces. It pops and farts on deceleration and it'll run on/diesel as well. Bentley says to look at EVAP for that. I'm hoping if I clear codes that it will kind of straighten itself out a little bit. I know I have other issues but if it "thinks" it has a bad O2 sensor, eh, will that effect it? I don't know... I changed the sensor and it's indeed better but I want to clear the code.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I just went and ordered the Ross tech adapter as well so I can at least not think about that. If it's a PITA to refund shipping, I'm honestly not too concerned. So long as they show up at the same time.
Check your PayPal; I already refunded shipping (and tax on shipping) for that order and made notes that it is to ship with your other order. :)

-Uwe-

Sawbones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523035
I'm used to MK1 and MK2. When the fuel injection on those started acting stupid I had an intake manifold from an old VW powered Plymouth Horizon and a single barrel Rochester. I still have my breaker point distributor. I'd swap the stuff over, plug the injector holes and get down the road. Ideally, some nut job would swap this thing for a solid Rabbit or Golf. It's solid and in decent shape, it's pretty well driveable but it has an odd hiccup when you're light on the throttle. I did the fuel delivery test where you pull the injectors and hotwire the fuel pump. That's within specs as per the Bentley. What's odd, when the fuel pump is running and you pull slowly up on the air flow sensor plate, the injectors don't start popping in unison. They go sort of 2-1-3-4 in that order. I think I remember swapping injectors around and the problem doesn't follow the injectors but I want to do it again to confirm. I've also got some wacky spray patterns but nothing eggregious. It was actually running really nice before I cleaned the injectors and they were just streaming fuel. A few years earlier and I could work on it. A few years later and I guess they'd have had a real OBD setup.

I'm curious to see what data this will give though. I tested the 2X2 ports, I have power and ground on the black one. The white one gives me 9 and 10 VDC. I don't know what those ought to do but I guess they're the K and L lines for data. I don't know... This crap is above my pay grade. There's a local shop that mostly specializes in imports and all his scanner could do was give some fault codes, both relating to the O2 sensor. He wasn't able to clear them once I changed the O2 sensor.

Sawbones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523035
Check your PayPal; I already refunded shipping (and tax on shipping) for that order and made notes that it is to ship with your other order. :)

-Uwe-
Dude, you rock!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm used to MK1 and MK2.
So was I, through the late 1990s. Then I got an Mk.3 VR6 and decided that I couldn't own this car without having access to the data in the ECU, the ABS, and the Airbag modules. This led to VAG-COM. :D

-Uwe-

Sawbones

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=523035
So was I, through the late 1990s. Then I got an Mk.3 VR6 and decided that I couldn't own this car without having access to the data in the ECU, the ABS, and the Airbag modules. This led to VAG-COM. :D

-Uwe-
I'm starting to think about that now. I'll have a powerful tool at my disposal and a MK3 will take full advantage of it but Maybe not be too overly complicated. This Passat seems over-engineered and seems to use hardly any "off the shelf" parts.