Impossible to get communication between HEX V2 and 2015 VW T5 California

foolish_polo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=445078
Hi

I have been trying to make VCDS and my HEX V2 work on a 2015 VW T5 California but without success.

PC laptop with Windows 10 Pro
VCDS Release : 22.3.1

From the main menu : Options > Test :
Port Status : OK
Interface: Found!
Type: HEX-V2
Version :
CB = 0.4615.4​
FW=0.256​
CAN: Testing, K1: NO POWER, K2: NO POWER​
Vbat: 0.01V, VIgn: 0.01V​
VIN(s) Used: 1/3​
When the HEX-V2 is connected to my laptop, the HEX-V2 LED turns blue and flashes when it should be green normally.
Auto-Scan does not work either.

I checked the fuse for the OBD port, it seems it is there :
https://fuses.guru/volkswagen/volkswagen-transporter-t5-2003-2014-fuse-box-diagram/

I checked I did not have voltage at PIN 16 of the OBD port (I checked the voltage between pin 16 and pin 5 which is ground : no voltage).
It seems the OBD port fuse is number 8 (5 Amps) for the OBD port (DLC Data Link Connector) but I checked it and it is not blown.

I know my laptop and my HEX-V2 work properly because I tested them on 2 different VW cars so the problem is definitely with the T5.

Could anyone help me figure out why my HEX-V2 cannot communicate with the T5?

Thanks a lot!

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Greetings from the USA , we have been trying to communicate with California for years, unfortunately it has only gotten worse - no luck here either! :D

I checked I did not have voltage at PIN 16 of the OBD port (I checked the voltage between pin 16 and pin 5 which is ground : no voltage).
CAN: Testing, K1: NO POWER, K2: NO POWER
Vbat: 0.01V, VIgn: 0.01V

You need to get 12v power to this pin (is the key in the "ON" position???) ; check the fuse again (good connection?) and you may have to disconnect the OBD / DLC outlet and check the wires under the dash , or check to make sure you don't have a folded over pin.

You could also run a "overlay" or "jumper" wire with 12v to pin 16 and see if communication becomes active.

Let the forum know how it goes! Once again, Welcome.

Last edited:

foolish_polo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=445078
Thanks a lot!

Ha ha! I thought it was a problem with the particular T5 I was working on, I had not clue it was the same problem for all California cars lol!

For 12V Power : I did the test both with key ON and OFF. In each case, the VCDS cannot communicate with the vehicle.
For the fuse, it is OK but I am wondering if I am looking at the correct fuse or not (are there any California expert around? :-D)
I checked all the fuses that I could have access to (below the gearbox lever, under driver seat and in the engine compartment), I only replaced one 15 Amps fuse related to the ashtray cigarette lighter but it did not change the power supply at the OBD port.
I will try the 12V jumper wire to the pin 16 next week.

So, based on the collective knowledge of the forum about California/Transporter, does that mean that there is absolutely no way at all to log any data from the CAN bus (even using a Raspberry Pi and a CAN FD shield)?

Many thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You absolutely need power on Pin 16 of the diagnostic socket -- and it should be "live" at all times (a "Terminal 30" unswitched connection to +12.). This is part of the OBD-II/EOBD specs and if there's no power on Pin 16, the vehicle is broken somehow. ;)

However Pin 5 may or may not be connected in the socket. Pin 4 should be ground, our use some other known good ground as your ground reference.

Vign is on Pin 1, but this is not universal or part of any OBD spec.

-Uwe-

foolish_polo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=445078
Thanks Uwe for your feedback!

-Hostile-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=520007
i just got my VCDS cable and was getting the exact same issue. I had to tape my VCDS up so it would make a good connection. the weight of the box made it droop down so much it wouldnt fully connect

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I had to tape my VCDS up so it would make a good connection. the weight of the box made it droop down so much it wouldnt fully connect
What kind of car?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would describe that as unusual. Is it possible that the there is some trim around the OBD-II socket in this car that is preventing the interface from seating on the socket fully?

-Uwe-

-Hostile-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=520007
possibly. ill have a better look. just figured id let buddy know. just in case it was something simple like what i had. i was getting the exact same message

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
just in case it was something simple like what i had.
I got the impression he's checked his OBD-II socket with a meter.

Definitely have a look at your socket, and if the car is a recent acquisition, check that there isn't any FOD, like this.

-Uwe-

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Try and hold against the female OBD connector in the car with your fingers, from the back, before you insert VCDS interface.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
We have also seen that some devices who do not supply OBDII plugs with pins that meet specifications damage the pins in the female connector. If the female side of the connection is not visible inside the socket opening, its a good chance the receptacle pin has been crushed against the top of the receptacle space. If wiggling allows pins to make contact, the connector has damaged pins.

Has this been reported often? No. Just reporting it as a possibility.

Back