Intake cam seeing "phase position" at -6

AudiB720TS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=375558
Hello,
I am chasing misfires occurring at 6500 RPM and up. The tuner has brought my attention to phase position on the intake cam reading at -6 suggesting timing is wrong.

This is on an a rebuilt, fully ported TFSI 2.0T head (BHZ) with all new valve train, camshafts, tensioner, chain and belt.
Notably the VVT solenoid is old (new one on order) as it was carried over from my previous engine (145.000 km).

I spent a lot of time on getting the cams positioned correctly on the head during assembly, installing chain and later timing the engine on assembly.
It is possible of course I still got things wrong somewhere, but before I start jacking the car I want to ask if there is any VCDS adaptation that should be done, if there are any VCDS based adjustments that applies here?

Car make and model: 2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0T (EA113), S3 swapped engine (BHZ, same year).

Thanks in advance!

f50Mi6k.png

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Greeting from the USA!

I just want to mention some general ideas for you to investigate as these engines have a rather infamous reputation. (Audi warranty rebuilds etc.)

1) I do not know of any adaptation for this ; I believe the limit is -4 degrees or less.

2) be sure the counter shaft is also in the correct position ; it has timing marks as well.

3) I would watch this YT'er YouTube videos (Naptown tuner) on this engine as he was a Audi tech for many years and literally rebuilt hundreds of these engines. He has a entire series on these engines specifically. I do not have one of these engines, but really enjoyed watching his videos regarding this engine. Also, I do not believe he answers emails, unless you want to hire him for mechanical work. (so leave a post with your question on one of his latest videos, maybe he will answer).

Last edited:

AudiB720TS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=375558
Thank you, but the video is for the balance shaft chain. Not convinced that relates to my camshaft timing.
My balance shafts are also "deactivated" using a freewheel. Looks like the video is for a later gen engine, EA888 perhaps.
I will edit my original post to clarify year and model.

Regards

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

As you already know, the 2007 Audi BHZ engine is a 'toothed' belt engine, it has the small chain in the rear of the engine between the two camshafts.

It is similar to my 2006 Audi A3 BPY engine. A while ago, I had performed what I called the 200,000 mile service, see the forum post link below.

In that post above, I also include a Controller Channel map (at idle) and the MVB-093, field (3) is at [0.0], I guess I can see what it does at speed, but I do believe the value at any speed should be less than (+/-)[8.0].

Have you tried the Basic Settings group [094] test for the "Camshaft Adjustment (Intake)" with VCDS?

Also, you may want to verify you have good/correct oil pressure and check/verify all the items I address in the above post are correct as well, nothing damaged, dirty, blocked, etc...

If you want, I can test drive the 2006 A3 I have and we can compare numbers, it maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

AudiB720TS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=375558
Thank you for the offer to test the A3. But no need: I tested the car also at idle last night and it's also at -6.

I will attempt the 094 group to see what that does, then retest when the new solenoid arrives having reset all DTC.
If that doesn't do anything I will have to jack the car and put it in service position to check timing marks front. I hope not to have to deal with the chain (which on the A4 is towards the firewall and difficult to assess).

AudiB720TS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=375558
Okay, it reads "Test OFF" and I don't seem to be able to toggle it ON.
I am also seeing -5 today at idle after DTC reset. Slightly better than yesterday.

Ma3kcb8.png

qb6Huh7.png

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Engine temperature above 80°C
When Basic Settings ON, press brake pedal and press accelerator pedal fully down
If "ON", wait until "Syst. Ok" (3..5 min.).

AudiB720TS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=375558
Engine temperature above 80°C
When Basic Settings ON, press brake pedal and press accelerator pedal fully down
If "ON", wait until "Syst. Ok" (3..5 min.).
Thank you. Stupid question perhaps, but this is with ignition OFF, yes?

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Engine running idle, as you show on picture.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Yes that is common use of many Basic setting, you get used to it.
If the basic setting should not work and the engine reves up, you just release the accelerator.

AudiB720TS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=375558
OK, thanks!

AudiB720TS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score