Vacation spot

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Currently on family vacation , nice spot near a wrecked ship. Underground word is that she was wrecked for insurance fraud by it s greek owners , it s been here for a long long time.

MV E Evangelia is a shipwrecked 7,355-gross register ton refrigerated cargo ship at Costinești on the Black Sea coast of Romania. She was built in Northern Ireland in 1942 as the Empire ship Empire Strength, was operated by Blue Star Line from 1942 to 1961, was bought by Greek shipowners in 1965 and wrecked in 1968. Wikipedia
Length: 131 m
Launched: May 28, 1942
Draft: 12 m
Beam: 17 m
Builder: Harland & Wolff

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
In Australia the insurance company or owner would have been required to remove the wreck.... but I presume it was prior to Romania joining EU which would have similar requirements now?

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
In Australia the insurance company or owner would have been required to remove the wreck.... but I presume it was prior to Romania joining EU which would have similar requirements now?
I don t know..i d guess the govt left it here for tourism attraction or the salvage op would ve cost more than worth it. This ship has been here since 1965...it s an iconic spot for this area. Her maiden voyage has been a long one too , Liverpool to Sidney. She has been all over seems like. Lots of memories , i remeber it as a child..and for many many generations she has been here..same spot..did not move an inch...strange sight ;)

Last edited:

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
@Uwe...Sitting at this bar with a bottle of wine....then Bruce came up with his classic...what a nice song....they don t make it like this anymore..

Reactions: Uwe

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Just off the beach near where I live is the wreck of the HMVS Cerberus. It was scuttled there in 1926 to form a breakwater for the local yacht club.

The Cerberus was at the time of its construction in 1870 one of the largest iron clad battleships in the world. It was built for the Victorian colony, as it was then, to protect it from the feared expansionism of the Russian empire into the Pacific at the time ( sound familiar !!!).

In the 1870's Melbourne was the richest city in the world having gone through a huge expansion following the 1860's Victorian gold rush and was potentially a target of foreign countries , or at least it was seen as that way by the good citizens of Melbourne who engaged in this arms race to deter attacks by having a bigger gun ( also sounds familiar :))

Interesting how history reflects many themes in Uwes bar

cheers
Rohan

Last edited:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688

If it was Australia, they would just tow the ship outside of the environment..... :D

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Imperial Russia pacific expansionism climaxed in 1904 / 1905 with the war that was fought (and lost) against Japan

Again a lot of parallels with the current Ukraine special military operation including the fact that Japan was being armed by the UK and USA and Russia kept fighting because it was not prepared to admit defeat !!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Japan was being armed by the UK and USA and Russia kept fighting because it was not prepared to admit defeat !!
Seems we picked the wrong side in that conflict too, and ended up in a war with Japan a few decades later.

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
a thread with this wreck on a beach , how did it go again to war and conflict ? :eek::popcorn:
Could it be that in these times, most conversations end up in war and conflict? Seems we are people who are very divided on things - that we are having real issues coming to a common understanding of things. I find in my conversations that people are functioning on the very edge - perhaps the edge of their sanity. The last few years have been stressful for many. Communication filters seem to be broken.

Could just be me being the grumpy old man...

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
I will go down this weekend and sit in the Half moon bay cafe and have a beer and look at the Cerberus wreck out in the bay and think about how nice it is living in Melbourne and forget about war and conflict for a while and then go back home and spend some time on fitting some PCV catch cans to my Touareg V8 TDI for a relaxing weekend

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Could just be me being the grumpy old man...
@Bruce I don't think that's the case, in the last 3 years many conversations both physical and online seem to have become confrontational which I dislike intensely as I describe myself as 'confrontation averse'.

I've stopped contributing to many online forums due to the abuse received when correcting untruths, and am very careful when speaking with acquaintances whose views I am not 100% sure about.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
@PetrolDave sadly, I find myself in the same circumstance. I choose to hold my tongue and my opinions rather than voice them and receive the abuse I now expect (or fear?).

May this time pass and may we find reason and our ability to discuss without recrimination. An evolved species should be able to do so, no? (Maybe we are not as evolved as some may think.)

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
(Maybe we are not as evolved as some may think.)
Hi Bruce, that reminded me of one of my physician mentors: anytime we were discussing all the unrest in the world (mans inhumanity to man) , he would simply say "welcome to man the animal" . I remember, at the time, how I thought that was a over simplification of our existence. Now, I'm not so sure.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Unfortunately, man has always been poor to man no matter how evolved we have become. Seems our evolution leads us to do even more harm in more violent and crazy ways.

We digress greatly from the original subject matter of this thread. We better move back on target of Uwe will be along to correct things.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
I will go down this weekend and sit in the Half moon bay cafe and have a beer and look at the Cerberus wreck out in the bay and think about how nice it is living in Melbourne and forget about war and conflict for a while and then go back home and spend some time on fitting some PCV catch cans to my Touareg V8 TDI for a relaxing weekend
Post a pic

Back