Bank 2 all cylinder misfires, cam sensor faults

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
That cam adjuster looks funky. Is the spring retaining pin bent or is it just the way the pictures is slightly out of focus??

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Ahhhh, haaaaa !
Why Audi switched from hex bolts to torx bolts on these covers is beyond me as they round like butter.
Are you sure you are using the right torx tool? There are torx plus fasteners and torx ! The tool should fit precisely! Not sure which fastener you have? Both will seem to fit, but the exact size tool is required for that kind of torque. It is very easy to think or feel you have the correct size tool, but it is only catching the corners / slightly!

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
04HTK-7-14.jpg

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Also..... your pic in post #40 is a Triple square pattern Bolt !!!!!!!!!! I think we found the "smoking gun" ; the adjusters are slipping as they are most likely not torqued (speculation) ???????

Reactions: Uwe

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
See right side of Chart ; which fastener do you have ?? : Spline drive or Triple square ???? Your right, your fastener looks stripped (picture post #40). You must have the right tool.

nuts-and-bolts-steampunk-using-right-screws-for-job.w654aeb48e4738e1431c91d082eadaeb81ca.png

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
By the way, torqueing those adjusters , I think, is a rather awkward procedure. Now, I'm not sure if your engine adjuster(s) are the same or even similar, but on my B8 4.2L some special tools are required as you need to Hold a preload with a certain torque or angle on the adjuster and then , while counter-holding the adjuster, torque the fastener (while holding the previously mentioned angle !).

Last edited:

alvocado

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=520115
Here's another pic of the cam adjuster spring retainer, still a bit blurry as the iphone is too close to focus but it does not look bent.

The timing cover fasteners are torx T30 and are easy to round if the torx socket is not kept perpendicular, which can be a challenge in a tight clearance installation. The cam adjusters use a special socket which is included in the Baum timing service kit along with the tool to preload the cam adjusters during torqueing. That was done per the factory procedure.

AM-JKLVDKBbvLj15hjv8TSb6o3jwBZOZM87lpifJkBNoHSRlmgZ84MruHy6vuai-Dd1sDZegigjXROX8tEZpa1jojGfjP2WGNnd-T3yhegMi8ZDzi8n9ycTOHL4LgMfVBnO2iLwx-5aO2emrKvlGC2jeE2o=w678-h903-no

alvocado

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=520115
Here's the cam adjuster bolt tightening procedure that was followed:

¤Both camshaft adjusters must be able to still be rotated on camshaft and must not tip.
  • Remove Locking Pin (T40071).
  • Set the Counter-Holder (T10172) with Pin (T10172/2) in place on the camshaft adjuster of the left intake camshaft.

• Hold the camshaft timing chain pretensioned by pressing on counter-holder in direction of - arrow -.
  • Simultaneously, pre-torque the camshaft bolt using the Multipoint Socket (T10035) and torque wrench.
¤Tightening Specifications: 40 Nm.
  • Continue holding the pretension on the intake camshaft and pre-torque the bolt - 1 - on the exhaust camshaft.
  • Tighten camshaft bolts - 1 - and - 2 - on left cylinder head to final tightening specification.

¤Tightening Specifications 80 Nm plus an additional 90°turn.
  • Set the Counter-Holder (T10172) with Pin (T10172/2) in place on the camshaft adjuster of the right exhaust camshaft.

• Hold the camshaft timing chain pretensioned by pressing on counter-holder in direction of - arrow -.
  • Simultaneously, pre-torque the camshaft bolt using the Multipoint Socket (T10035) and torque wrench.
  • Continue holding the pretension on the exhaust camshaft and pre-torque the bolt - 1 - on the intake camshaft.
  • Tighten camshaft bolts - 1 - and - 2 - on right cylinder head to final tightening specification.

¤Tightening Specifications: 80 Nm plus an additional 90°turn.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Thanks again for the pics, looks like I missed the "covers" part of your sentence :o. That fastener, in your pic, looked like it was stripped. I think as stated by EuroX, a leak down test will be next. (?).

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Those cam adjuster bolts are triple squares, yes audi lists a special tool number for them however there is nothing special about the bit used for the bolt simply a triple square. I would do a leak down test next.

Reactions: Uwe

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I realize you mentioned that you labeled the cam adjusters , intake and exhaust, but..... do they have different part numbers or are PN's on them ? If so, if you get back in and remove the bolts for them, I would verify that they are on the correct cam(s). Not sure if that is even possible to switch them, but you had a-lot going on during that disassembly and if they were sitting together on the table when you marked them ..... well maybe they were mislabeled ??

Here's another pic of the cam adjuster spring retainer, still a bit blurry as the iphone is too close to focus but it does not look bent.
If necessary, use a mirror on the part you wish to capture, face the mirror with the camera/iphone you can then focus and magnify the shot as required.

Last edited:

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Hard to tell from the pictures but the cam adjusters are 2 different numbers for exhaust and intake. Exhaust cam adjusters should have the visible spring in the back, intake cam adjuster should not. Same setup as 4.2. I am not sure but some engines had locating pins for the adjusters as well. I know the 3.0T supercharged engines do I would assume 3.2 is no different.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I may be "turned around" here, but as the shop manual shows and that EuroX stated, the exhaust cam adjuster has the visible spring......

Bank 2 is left side of engine, sitting in a LHD vehicle correct .....(?).

OP's pic post #40 (I presume Bank 2) shows the exhaust cam adjuster above the chain tensioner on Bank 2 (left side of engine)

Shop manual second pic in post #48 , for left side of engine, shows intake cam adjuster above tensioner. :confused:

Also, in Second post pic #40, the high point or angle of the head casting is the intake side.....but the same pic also shows a exhaust cam adjuster in this location. Is that the ABS pump/assembly and the power steering reservoir in the UL corner of this pic?

******* Then, I think the exhaust (VVT) cam adjuster (with spring) is on the intake cam!

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
  • Tighten camshaft bolts - 1 - and - 2 - on left cylinder head to final tightening specification.

Note chain tensioner is below Intake cam adjuster on left side , Bank 2.

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
What you call a “triple square” to me is an XZN such as in the VVT hub.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
second pic in post #40

9mdLeWv.jpg

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
@alvocado , Not sure what happened to your cam chain / adjuster line drawing pics ; from your manual post#48 ??????? They were very helpful as it provided a reference for comparison.

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
What you call a “triple square” to me is an XZN such as in the VVT hub.

Same thing just make sure they are not tamper proof kind, it makes them weaker and they break often.

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
T10162sideview.jpg

Ohh, yes they certainly do… This is the one for the PQ35 rear wheel bearing, the one on the left (this was the warranty replacement) went at about half the angle and left me a broken pile of person flat on the deck!

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Based on op pictures It looks like Bank2 cam adjusters are installed in the wrong position. They need to be swapped. Visible spring on cam adjuster should be on both exhaust cams.

Back