[Feedback] Write log to file

WebCF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=166818
Hi,

VCDS` logfile write function always write line per line - at least it counts the lines while writing. Writing a large AS needs several seconds to complete, while I see no need for the long delay? The text is fixed and writing a file with PHP takes a fraction of the time.

So my feedback: Make the write-log function much faster :)

Regards,

Eric

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
writing a file with PHP takes a fraction of the time.
You really know how to push my buttons :)
The function that does that was designed for one-line calls, and using it for a multi-thousand lines autoscan meant multi-thousand open and close of the logfile, as well as window refresh and manipulation. I've now made it save the autoscan in one call. On the downside, you can't see the line count increase as it writes anymore, on the upside it went from 3 seconds to save a 1423 line scan to pretty much instant :thumbs:

WebCF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=166818
The function that does that was designed for one-line calls, and using it for a multi-thousand lines autoscan meant multi-thousand open and close of the logfile
Oh. My. God. 😂🙉
On the downside, you can't see the line count increase as it writes anymore
Not really an issue :)
on the upside it went from 3 seconds to save a 1423 line scan to pretty much instant :thumbs:
❤️❤️❤️

I always wondered why no one stumbled upon that on a regular basis. But: Now I pressed the right buttons 😂

Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I originally wrote that code almost 20 years ago and deliberately put delays in between the lines so you could see the count increasing. :p

Of course Auto-Scans were shorter then. :D

-Uwe-