No power to wheels B5, 5-spd 4 Motion

Saugut

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263333
Diagnostic help please!
I have a 2004 Passat 1.8, 5-spd, 4 motion with the Torsen center differential. Engine was fine, suddenly no power to the wheels, and a lot of racket when put in gear. Had the car towed home, suspected the clutch, which looked fine when I removed it so I got suspicious that it was something else but finished the clutch job and drove the car around the block. So I thought I had fixed it, but the next day I barely got out of the drive before the power to the wheels went out again. Put the car on jackstands hoping to listen to the transmission and the differentials to zero in on the noise, but with the wheels off the ground, it runs quietly in all gears and spins the wheels. So for some reason I assume that the problem is with the center Torsen differential.
Neither the Bentley nor the Haynes manuals are any help, in fact the Bentley manual doesn't even include the 5-spd manual. VCDS has nothing either.
Questions:
1. Do the symptoms point to the center differential?
2. Can it be removed with the transmission still in the car?
3. Does it share oil with the transmission?
4. What is that plug with the circlip in the photo? Couldn't figure out how to add a photo from my desktop.
5. Can the differential be repaired or must it be replaced?
6. Where do I get parts or a replacement?
7. Is there a manual available somewhere?

I'm very grateful for any replies. Thank you very much!

Saugut

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263333
Two very good tips! erWin does seem to have a manual that covers the Torsen differential. Now I just have to figure out the erWin site, lol. Thank you very much!