Hex-Net attaches to BT Home Hub but not Netgear R7000

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I've been struggling to get my HEX-NET to attach to my home WiFi network for several days.

I have BT Infinity (VDSL) which arrives to a BT Home Hub 5 that produces both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi networks that we don't normally use as one of the 1GB Ethernet ports connects to a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router that provides 2.4GHz and 5GHz AC WiFi networks which are much faster.

But my HEX-NET will not see the WiFi networks from the R7000 - auto-scan won't see them and even manually entering them it's unable to connect.

But the HEX-NET does see the WiFi from the HomeHub, and does connect to that!

Why won't my HEX-NET connect to the WiFi network from my Netgear R700 Nighthawk? Both networks use WPA2 security so I'm at a loss to understand the problem.

My HEX-NET is up-to-date: CB 0.4123 API 0 FW: 0.214.1

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Dave,

Check to see which 2.4GHz channel your R7000 is using. Due to regulatory issues, the HEX-NET device can't see WiFi access points on channels 12 or 13. Those are available in the UK, but not in the USA.

Jason

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Check to see which 2.4GHz channel your R7000 is using. Due to regulatory issues, the HEX-NET device can't see WiFi access points on channels 12 or 13. Those are available in the UK, but not in the USA.

My R7000 is in Auto mode and is using channel 13!

Sounds like I need to select a fixed channel for 2.4GHz, just like I have for 5GHz - or just tell the R7000 I'm in the US!

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
How are the ssid's of these networks set up, does each have a unique ssid, or is one a repeater for the other. Are the routers on different channels or the same? Are the routers next to each other or in different areas? While it's true that there are many different version of WPA2 and some router companies do things that are not exactly standard, I doubt that a WPA2 incompatibility would make the network not show up at all.

EDIT: Looks like it's most likely the channel issue, but if that doesn't sort things out try providing the rest of the info above.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
It was the channel issue, I just reconfigured the R700 to tell it we're in the US and the HEX-NET now connects to the 2.4GHz network no problem.

Now having done an auto-scan and then connected to a controller (55 Xenon Range) I just can't get past the screen on my iPhone6 in VCDS Cloud to register for an account...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Answered here.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Due to regulatory issues, the HEX-NET device can't see WiFi access points on channels 12 or 13.
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but just wanted to ask is the HEX-NET still only capable of connecting to US WiFi channels?

If so will this always be the case?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but just wanted to ask is the HEX-NET still only capable of connecting to US WiFi channels?
Yes. Since we sell exactly the same HEX-NET world-wide, we'd be in a heap of trouble if they could transmit on those upper channels (12-14). The WiFi module being used was specifically selected for its world-wide approval, without which it would be a regulatory nightmare for us to sell these all over the world.

If so will this always be the case?
"Always" is a really long time, so I'm not going to say "yes", but I don't see this changing in the foreseeable future.

-Uwe-

Back