Passat B6 Problem with head unit(?)

Zedriv

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
Hello!
I took my car to the local workshop because I have trouble with some features.

*Stereo won't turn on and off automatically with ignition
*GPS/Compass doesn't show any info in the MFD display
*Backup camera won't turn on in reverse
* Steering-wheel controls doesn't work (volume up & down for example)
*Stereo shuts down every 40-60 minutes (mid-drive) so I have to turn it on again.
*When I drive, all above can randomly just start working, but next time I turn on the car, doesn't work again.

My car is a Passat Variant B6 3C 4motion 3.2 V6 from 2008.

The workshop was kind enough to send me the scan results to my email. I wanted to make sure first of this is something I can by myself or maybe someone who knows their way around this kind of stuff since I'm neither a mechanic nor a car guy.

I saw in another post that it might be the canbus contact, checked it into the head unit but it seems to be in place.

Code:
Removed. Data from a clone/pirate copy of VCDS is not acceptable here.

Last edited by a moderator:

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
RNS510's have reached such an age they like to break. Your best bet is probably to swap it out for a RCD510 with reversing camera input or have an electronics repair shop have a look at the faulty one.

Zedriv

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
RNS510's have reached such an age they like to break. Your best bet is probably to swap it out for a RCD510 with reversing camera input or have an electronics repair shop have a look at the faulty one.
If I made a switch. to RCD510 Is it just plug n play or do I have to leave to VW for installation and setup?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The workshop was kind enough to send me the scan results to my email.
The workshop is using a clone/pirate version of VCDS. What does that suggest about their competence and honesty?

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I'm neither a mechanic nor a car guy.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, and in case you are wondering what this is all about : clone / pirate version of VCDS is a "knock off " of the original (genuine) legitimate and properly functioning version of VCDS. How do we know that service garage is unethical.... the clone he/she is using is about $40.00 USD and a Legitimate version is $200 or $300 hundred USD. That is, there is no way he does not know what version he is using.

By the way, you don't have to be a mechanic or a car guy to own a VCDS, some genuine curiosity is all that is needed ; there is plenty of support videos as well as "how to" literature here on the web-site ; and the forum as you discovered is World Wide (how is that for support). Use VCDS once or twice and save a trip to the Dealer or "other" and it is literally paid for!

Reactions: JMR