Using VCDS for car shopping

wrakoski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=502953
I've done some searching but not able to find out how/if I can use my VCDS license while car shopping? I have the three VIN license and use it regularly on my 07 Touareg. I'm looking to buy another vehicle (Audi) and want to scan prospective cars while looking. Is there a way I can do that without using one of my VINs if I'm only scanning once?

Derek

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56983
Hello

Yes, you can run a full autoscan on as many cars as you need without using any of your spare VINs.

Here's the full rundown on what you can do without using a VIN

Best regards
Derek

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, you can run a full autoscan on as many cars as you need without using any of your spare VINs.
Right, that very thing is explicitly addressed in the FAQ you linked above and has been since it was written in 2017.

A VIN-Limited interface can do Auto-Scans, Clear DTCs, and look at Measuring Values on an unlimited number of cars. I think this is important because I wouldn't want to keep an enthusiast from doing basic diagnostics on his friends' cars, or to use his VCDS when evaluating used cars he's contemplating buying. You wouldn't buy a used car without doing an Auto-Scan on it first, right?

@wrakoski
Just remember one thing: If VCDS asks you whether you want to register that car's VIN, and you're not 100% certain that you do, decline to do so.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
...things I usually look for when checking out a used car (depending on availability in the specific model):

- Fault Codes
- Readiness before/after a Drive Cycle
- DPF Status (if applicable)
- Vehicle and Control Module Mileage entries (ECM, TCM, ABS)
- ABS Crash related Data
- Service Status
- Aux. Heater Operating Hours

Galammys

Reaction score
What are the possible issues with ordering cars from abroad, and what documentation do I need to get for such a car upon its arrival in the US?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What are the possible issues with ordering cars from abroad,
My understanding is that if the car is less than 25 years old, it must meet all the US safety and emissions specs for its model year, and it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to get the manufacturer to certify that it does.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
What are the possible issues with ordering cars from abroad, and what documentation do I need to get for such a car upon its arrival in the US?
What possible car would you like to import in US that you cannot find in US ? Leaving aside a Japan spec GTR Skyline or whatever fantasy car ...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What possible car would you like to import in US that you cannot find in US ?
Me?
How about a VW "Transporter" (Multivan) newer than a T4.
Or an Amarok. I'd like one with a V6 TDI and a proper 3-pedal transmission, please.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
How about a VW "Transporter" (Multivan) newer than a T4.
yeah, those are nice, i thought you guys got them too
Or an Amarok. I'd like one with a V6 TDI and a proper 3-pedal transmission, please.
it will be called the Tarok ( where in the hell they get those names i have no idea ) and it will come to US soon they say
eeeh..americans usually want an automatic gearbox :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Galammys

Reaction score
I’ve found some good Japanese cars [Spammy link removed], which would be a real bargain. I don’t want to miss it and pay more for a similar car in the US. According to my calculations, it would be cheaper to transport a car from Japan than to buy a similar car. Is it a good plan, or am I missing something? I know some people do that, but I don’t know all the juridical peculiarities of the process that might be complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
You need to speak with someone who imports vehicles (older / vintage and Newer) ; I'm speculating, but 10K for fees, taxes, duties, etc. before you are all done. Also, someone needs to go see the vehicle to be sure it even exists and in what condition it is in! Your not buying pictures.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is it a good plan, or am I missing something?
In the USA? Let's start with the fact that Japan drives on the wrong (left) side of the road and cars made for that market have all the controls (like the steering wheel) on the right side.

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
This YT'er is a Subaru enthusiast ; you could probably contact him for some insights. And, as Uwe posted above, some details that you haven't even thought of!

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
In the USA? Let's start with the fact that Japan drives on the wrong (left) side of the road and cars made for that market have all the controls (like the steering wheel) on the right side.

-Uwe-
My understanding is that the UK system of driving on the left side of the road dates back to the days of mounted Knights, who would pass on the left side so the person passing was on their dominant (sword-wielding) side, should they need to attack/defend.
It's surprising therefore, given America's constitutional right to bear arms, that when cars came to the US they didn't adopt the same system. I wonder if it was just a post-independence desire to be different?

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

davisev5225

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263265
Or the fact that swords were obsolete by the time we revolted and got our independence?

-Uwe-
How about the fact that the Germans are credited as inventing the automobile (hence the Germanic word), and they've always been RHD?

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
How about the fact that the Germans are credited as inventing the automobile (hence the Germanic word), and they've always been RHD?
no !

By
Mary Bellis
Updated on July 06, 2019

The very first self-powered road vehicles were powered by steam engines, and by that definition, Nicolas Joseph Cugnot of France built the first automobile in 1769 — recognized by the British Royal Automobile Club and the Automobile Club de France as being the first. So why do so many history books say that the automobile was invented by either Gottlieb Daimler or Karl Benz? It is because both Daimler and Benz invented highly successful and practical gasoline-powered vehicles that ushered in the age of modern automobiles. Daimler and Benz invented cars that looked and worked like the cars we use today. However, it is unfair to say that either man invented "the" automobile.

davisev5225

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263265
no !

By
Mary Bellis
Updated on July 06, 2019

The very first self-powered road vehicles were powered by steam engines, and by that definition, Nicolas Joseph Cugnot of France built the first automobile in 1769 — recognized by the British Royal Automobile Club and the Automobile Club de France as being the first. So why do so many history books say that the automobile was invented by either Gottlieb Daimler or Karl Benz? It is because both Daimler and Benz invented highly successful and practical gasoline-powered vehicles that ushered in the age of modern automobiles. Daimler and Benz invented cars that looked and worked like the cars we use today. However, it is unfair to say that either man invented "the" automobile.
Of course every country wants credit for being "first", but since you used a Wikipedia article, I'll do the same. :p

"The year 1886 is regarded as the birth year of the car when German inventor Carl Benz patented his Benz Patent-Motorwagen."

"The Benz Patent-Motorwagen ("patent motorcar"), built in 1885 by the German Carl Benz, is widely regarded as the world's first practical automobile,[1] a self-propelled vehicle for carrying people, and first car put into series production."
"...it became the first commercially available automobile in history in the late summer of 1888."

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Back