Save button does not enable - Programming Key Fob - MK5 2009 Jetta Sportwagon

stevewp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28691
This is for my personal car I use for business. I set the keys on the windshield while mowing the grass so that I would they would not be wearing in my shorts. I forgot about them and they got wet from the rain. Not a downpour but just a good rain.

I dried out the fob and then after fully dry, I put the battery back in and every time I would click lock or unlock the car's horn would blow in as an alarm.

I went to the dealership and purchased a replacement RF fob. Now I am going to program the controller to accept the new RF fob.
Following the Ross-Tech how to on key programming (46- Convenience, Adaptation), have a key in the ignition and turned to ON position. Then I change the Channel to 01 and Click Read. I change the New Value to 2. Then it spins for a while and the Test Button enables so I can click on it. Then I click on Test button and wait 5 minutes for the Save Button to enable. The save button does not enable, it stays Dim.

I did close the controller and try again. I believe I am on the latest version of VCDS (21.9.0). I have the extra set of keys which is the original blade and RF fob. For the key that got wet, I have the original blade which will start the car and I have inserted it into the new RF Fob. The new RF Fob has a battery in it.
So my issue is not pushing the unlock button for 1 second so the car will recognize it. My issue is that the Save button never enables in the software to where the controller is listening for me to push the UNLOCK buttons on the RF fobs.

I would like to get this resolved if possible. I have been unlocking and locking the car with the blade for a while now.

See Save button along bottom edge of window in the image I have attached.
testbutton.PNG

MVB_

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=164610

See notes in Channel 001

Ps on your wet key fob was the alarm horn just a onetime or was it repeating. If onetime that can be coded out with Vcds or in the Mfd if that option is available there under ATA confirm in Settings-> Convenience->ATA confirm menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
take the key out of the ignition after you enter the number of keys to be programed , press test , save, push button lock/or unlock for at least 1 second on each key. if you try to program 1 key , same procedure, enter 1 , take key out of ignition , press test , save , push remote button. I think you are skipping the test part of it. If you try and still fails, then enter 000 in channel , press read , save and start over again like i've described.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

stevewp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28691
I watched the video MVB provided. In there, they have demonstrated clicking Read on Channel 00 and the clicking Save. I followed this demonstration. When I completed the Read on Channel 01, I could click Test and immediately Save was available.

I clicked Save and I went thru the process with both keys. Neither key worked at that point. I went thru the programming process again and the turn signal lights on the instrument cluster flashed as I held down on the unlock key for both keys. I felt that it worked. The keys would not lock or unlock until I closed the controller.

Thank you to both of you helping to get this new key working again. I hope that someone would update the Remote Control Matching document that that is published on Ross-Tech to include the step to Read Channel 00 and then click Save before continuing with Channel 00. Further that they may need to repeat the process if the turn signals do not flash.

I was about ready to just take it to the dealer and throw up my hands. But after both of you gave suggestions, I got the job done and saved one hour labor at the dealership.

Thanks again.

Reactions: JMR

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
I watched the video MVB provided. In there, they have demonstrated clicking Read on Channel 00 and the clicking Save. I followed this demonstration. When I completed the Read on Channel 01, I could click Test and immediately Save was available.

I clicked Save and I went thru the process with both keys. Neither key worked at that point. I went thru the programming process again and the turn signal lights on the instrument cluster flashed as I held down on the unlock key for both keys. I felt that it worked. The keys would not lock or unlock until I closed the controller.

Thank you to both of you helping to get this new key working again. I hope that someone would update the Remote Control Matching document that that is published on Ross-Tech to include the step to Read Channel 00 and then click Save before continuing with Channel 00. Further that they may need to repeat the process if the turn signals do not flash.

I was about ready to just take it to the dealer and throw up my hands. But after both of you gave suggestions, I got the job done and saved one hour labor at the dealership.

Thanks again.
not always necessarily to do the 000 read :) . The operation you did should take max 1 minute if you have a slow computer. Sometimes controller refuses to accept new key for reasons unknown so then 000 read save resets the thing.

T.Green

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427284
not always necessarily to do the 000 read :) . The operation you did should take max 1 minute if you have a slow computer. Sometimes controller refuses to accept new key for reasons unknown so then 000 read save resets the thing.
Slightly confused and I have re read a few times so I have to remove the key after pushing save then press the button ? If I press unlock while in the ignition the indicators on dash flash if I take the key out and do it they don’t flash

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
I usually remove the key from ignition. In your above post it says that you fixed it..is it still an issue?

T.Green

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427284
I usually remove the key from ignition. In your above post it says that you fixed it..is it still an issue?
Seems this happened a few years ago but since then I have replaced the old fob and put the old blade and transponder into a mk7 key it’s been working fine since I did this until today if I remove the key from the ignition and hold the unlock button nothing happens at all

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
But does it lock ? If its only on unlocking..then your keyfob might have a button problem...

T.Green

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427284
Do you press test remove the key press save then yes then press unlock button while key is out of ignition

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Yes to the post above this one. However , make sure you have a good battery in your keyfob. Does it have a showthru little red led that blinks or ? Perhaps your remote is not emitting radio waves anymore..

T.Green

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427284
Brand
Yes to the post above this one. However , make sure you have a good battery in your keyfob. Does it have a showthru little red led that blinks or ? Perhaps your remote is not emitting radio waves anymore..
new battery as of today and yes it has a led indicator on the fob that lights up when a button is pressed

T.Green

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427284
Brand

new battery as of today and yes it has a led indicator on the fob that lights up when a button is pressed
I’d be very surprised if it’s just stopped emitting radio waves after battery going dead but who knows

Back