• Sad
Reactions: Uwe

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Orban is a would be mini-Putin and would like to be president for life and to do away with those pesky things called elections, so his behaviours are not unexpected as he tries to play both sides of the fence

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
From "The Spectator " .
It's true that Viktor Orbán has previously advocated a ‘Hungarian way’ balancing EU and Nato membership with pragmatic business relations with Moscow – and that Fidesz believes a lack of similar pragmatism from the West has played a part in bringing about the current conflict.

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
This is all about : just because we share a sea with russians now we have to buy ships to patrol it ! Why doesn t NATO patrol it and leave us be ? This is what is all about guys..
Here s another thing : we are not dependent on Russian gas ( as Romania only imports about 15 % of it s needs and that only during winter times ) . We produce our own gas for internal needs as a country BUT we consumers pay for it just like or more than German citizens which import most of their gas from Russia . Guess what ? Omv Austria extracts it and France controls our supplies thru the GDF Suez corporation. Assholes !! And as latest news , we have now to accept more NATO military personnel in our country for which we are paying all expenses. What a clusterfuck ! If Ukraine does become part of EU , they will forever be economic slaves.
Romania has been part of Nato for the last 20 years and has benefited from that security umbrella. Membership requires mutual obligations among Nato members so I dont understand why you say Nato should patrol it and leave us alone --- you are part of Nato.

It appears you believe Nato and EU membership has been nothing but a disaster for Romania. Was life really that much better under the Soviet Union and before Nicolae Ceaușescu was overthrown?

At least you have the ability to leave both if as a democratic country you decide to do that and you can do that without having to wage a war with the EU

However with Russia likely on your borders soon that may not be a good idea as Russia appears to consider unaligned states fair game to be integrated into the mother land and the threat of an unaligned state becoming aligned on the side of the Western democracies tantamount to a declaration of war on mother Russia

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Seems that i need to point put that from 1990 until 2002 when we were invited to join and then until 2004 when we did became full member..no one has attacked us. And that was a long 12 yrs without conflicts or threats of invasions from anyone. Just little us near big bad Russia..no conflicts , no war , no invasions. While being part of NATO might be a good thing...it s not always the best thing. How can i say that Putin is a criminal when my own army along NATO went to diferent countries around the world and killed people that did nothing to us ?Yet we begged to be part of EUnot knowing that being part of EU does have benefits but it seems to have more obligations that outbalance the benefits . I will not getting into a narative about how nearly all of my people feels that they ve been robbed of everything under the flag of EU. You will not see that on tv . You will hear it on the streets , on conversations with friends and strangers alike. But they are voices lost on the way to whoever is suppose to hear them. It s a lost cause which will never reverse course. The topic here is Ukraine and truly i feel bad for them ..but they have no idea what s waiting for them if they do join EU. It s plain robbery. We , Romania ..and it pains me to say it..we are seen by EU as a thirld world country good to be extorted and sucked of everything we have. However, those are my views and personal opinions , i am not much for politics and truth to be told i've never leaned left or right in my views. But i am trying to see all points of views.

Reactions: Uwe

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Putins dictatorship did not commence until after he came to power in 2000 and before that time Russia was a basket case following the fall of the Soviet Union so not a real comparison . I respect your personal desire to leave Nato and the EU and for Romania to take its own risks as an individual country in the big bad world. If enough Romanians agree then Romania can do that as neither Nato or the EU want unwilling members and respect individual countries democratic decisions unlike Russia

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Seems that i need to point put that from 1990 until 2002 when we were invited to join and then until 2004 when we did became full member..no one has attacked us. And that was a long 12 yrs without conflicts or threats of invasions from anyone. Just little us near big bad Russia..no conflicts , no war , no invasions. While being part of NATO might be a good thing...it s not always the best thing. How can i say that Putin is a criminal when my own army along NATO went to diferent countries around the world and killed people that did nothing to us ?Yet we begged to be part of EUnot knowing that being part of EU does have benefits but it seems to have more obligations that outbalance the benefits . I will not getting into a narative about how nearly all of my people feels that they ve been robbed of everything under the flag of EU. You will not see that on tv . You will hear it on the streets , on conversations with friends and strangers alike. But they are voices lost on the way to whoever is suppose to hear them. It s a lost cause which will never reverse course. The topic here is Ukraine and truly i feel bad for them ..but they have no idea what s waiting for them if they do join EU. It s plain robbery. We , Romania ..and it pains me to say it..we are seen by EU as a thirld world country good to be extorted and sucked of everything we have. However, those are my views and personal opinions , i am not much for politics and truth to be told i've never leaned left or right in my views. But i am trying to see all points of views.
@JMR: Don't get me wrong, I think history is important - but my suspicion (and my hope) is that Putin's motives for Ukraine invasion are more forward looking. Despite what folk believe about his morals - Putin is nevertheless a very cunning (and intelligent) man. Most importantly, Putin is a strategic man!!

I agree with my countryman (@RGHO) that the Soviet era was a basket case. In reality however, and despite the west's rhetoric about the benefits of democracy (let's assume that Russia is a democracy of sorts) - there's really only ONE reason for Russia's wealth today; energy sales. It's revenue from oil and gas sales that has allowed Putin to build his military machine

And the irony is that a large proportion of this military funding revenue came from the very same countries that are now imposing sanctions on Russia (yes, the NATO countries). There can be no doubt that the Crimea conflict had as its genesis, the oil and gas field discoveries in the Black sea. The timing was too coincidental! Had Crimea stayed as a western country, the economic zone of development would have given these riches to Ukraine.

Problem is of course that Ukraine started charging for the right to transport gas through the pipeline that Russia built when Ukraine was part of Russia. Putin most certainly didn't like this.

Yes, Putin has been building alternative pipeline routes to avoid Ukraine tariffs, but the other problem is the 2 x large oil reserves that were discovered in the western and eastern parts of the Ukraine - and the remaining gas fields in the Black sea that are outside Crimea's economic zone. These holdings have to be a direct threat to the only real source of GDP for Putin's Russia.

If Ukraine was allowed to remain an "unattached country", it would surely develop these assets and the natural market for the end product has to be the same countries as Putin's current energy sales. In the fullness of time, Ukraine would displace Russia's position as energy supplier to western Europe. Result = Russia becomes the same "basket case" as Soviet era, Putin can't fund his armies and Putin's power is lost!!

And as a side note; if Ukraine was allowed to become western Europe's energy supplier - what do you think would be its chances of also becoming a NATO member?? Putin could never allow this - he had to strike while he could!!

Fact is that Ukraine was doomed by its unfortunate physical location and by its unfortunate newly discovered natural resources - alas!

Don

Last edited:

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
Russian general fighting in the country where the world's worst nuclear accident took place has bright idea (said in mock Ruski accent), "I have great ideaski, lets indiscriminately bombard Europe's largest nuclear power station and set it on fire", great ideaski! :banghead: FFS!

Last edited:

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
The problem with goods such as tyres (spelt correctly) is people penny pinch and are only concerned about the price, not the cost… two very different concepts.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
"tire" spelt correctly (amazing that someone has actually welded these onto the hub - bet they work well in snow)

ac189d00be5be6f0292f1439f35a88df.jpg

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Hi Don,
Don't you colonials/convicts spell tyre correctly the same as the Motherland?:)
Regards HMC

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Oh please don t start a war over tires/tyres :D

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
Well there is colour/color, labour/labor and why do they say soder for solder… ;) the way I look at it is, the USA is your country and you can say/spell the English language any way sodering you want to… FREDOM!

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hi Don,
Don't you colonials/convicts spell tyre correctly the same as the Motherland?:)
Regards HMC
@HMC: Australia is probably the only country where folk are proud to have convict ancestors (it's a badge of honor down here).

I remember coming back to Australia with a friend after having a holiday at his home overseas. His constant jibe was about Australia being over-run with the streets full of kangaroos and the place being full of convicts.

Anyway, we went through Australian customs together and I overheard the official ask him the standard question "have you had any criminal convictions"? - to which he immediately replied "why do you ask - is it a requirement for entry to Australia"? Fortunately the customs officer had a sense of humor - but it could easily have gone horribly wrong!!

As to your question - yes indeed, we do spell tire as "tyre" in the same way as our colonial masters. However, as I'm in a Yankee bar and as I am indulging in the hospitality of the culture - I feel that the least that I can do is accept their coloquial (mis)-spelling :thumbs:

Don

Last edited:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Your friend, he have big cajonies

Many years ago, we were coming home from a weekend trip to Canada, and out-of-town friends were following us in another car. When the driver of the other car was asked by US Customs if they had anything to declare, he answered something along the lines of nothing but the machine guns in the trunk. Never let it be said that US Customs agents don't have a sense of humor. I'm sure that he was laughing for days about impounding the car for hours with a search that included dismounting all five tires looking for contraband..... :eek:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Back to the Ukraine propaganda topic, I've seen several aerial pictures on the news of this stalled 40-mile-long Russian convoy north of Kiev. One thing that none of the pictures shown has included is signs of people accompanying those trucks. One would think that soldiers in a convoy of that size would need to get out and pee, eat, share some vodka, stretch their legs, etc. Am I missing the pictures that include soldiers, or is that convoy a complete distraction made up of plywood trucks like we did to the Germans with fake airfields/bases during WW-II?????

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
There is so much fake news / pictures /videos it makes me vomit. I have not watched tv in 3 days about it. I am trying to get my news about it from all kinds of non major media sources . Interesting though there are many many ( .com )sites that do seem to have their minds to talk about it straight. And they are not trumpets of western media let me tell you. It seems that no one presents anymore echilibrated news . Just wild speculations and no real substance . So no tv watching for me now. And oh..forgot to mention , fuel just jumped to nearly 1.61 US dollars a litre over here ( be it diesel or gasoline ).

Last edited:

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
Well the price of the Super unleaded 99RON octane unleaded I use is now £1.70 a litre which is approx $2.25 so in US gallon terms that is approx $8.50 per gallon… and it will only get worse, much worse; I can see it doubling in the coming months… I think the great reset button has been pressed.