Ukraine

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
at least it's an open forum where the "boss" don't get mad and shoots if "users" don't agree with his views. How can you not love this forum ? Perhaps the "dictatorship" of this forum is better than any "democracy" :). I think that sometimes he doesn't sleep . I am on this forum in the mornings ( GMT+2 ) and he's here..i am on the forum after 22 ( GMT + 2 ) and he's here. Maybe there are clones ? :)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Foes of Ross Tech????? :D
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh................... I very much doubt it!!

I have never met the inaugural/sole member of FoRT - but based his writings (his writing style seems similar to a active member on Golfmk7 forum), I would bet London to a brick that he is very much a devotee of that august organization!!

Don

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Bzzt.

Friend of Ross-Tech. We consider Jason a friend despite because of his politics.

-Uwe-
I fixed that for you.

It's always beneficial to have one's beliefs challenged - if for no other reason than it confirms the basis of one's faith!!

Don

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
@jyoung8607 : Desperately need your help. I've been trying to ignore it all morning but it's doing my head in - so I have to ask!!

Does "FoRT" mean what I think that it means - and is it an exclusive fan club? :confused:

Indeed it does mean Friend of Ross-Tech. I'm sure there are other club members, but I'm not sure if they're on the forum.

I've had a VCDS interface since around 2005, but around 2014 I bought a HEX-NET when they first came out, and the software was in pretty rough shape at the time. It so happened that some of the trouble related to areas I had professional expertise in, and I can't resist a troubleshooting puzzle, so I dug into things and ended up having a number of really good conversations with the team there. It was pretty damn cool to actually have a company engage with positive feedback and turn around fixes in days (and sometimes hours). I think that's when my forum profile was originally labeled.

Since then. the Ross-Tech team have taken incredibly good care of me and my vehicle diagnostic needs. If I told you what's in my plastic bin of VCDS interfaces, or the amount of time spent on bug fixes and occasional new features I needed to work on my Phaeton and my other vehicles, Uwe would get his Libertarian credentials revoked on the spot. Maybe he'd call it a fair exchange of value, I did spend a lot of time here, but I think I got the better of the deal. I do spend a little less time here these days, but that's due to other life changes and hobbies, not due to Bar brawling.

I don't think a company like Ross-Tech happens by magic. I don't think Ross-Tech maintains near zero turnover over the course of decades by having an owner who's some kind of asshole. I have a lot of respect and admiration for Uwe. The things that he and Ross-Tech have done for me have materially affected the course of my life, my hobbies and passions, and my career in a positive way. That is in no way an exaggeration. I consider him a personal friend and I treasure that and I don't want to lose it.

So... from time to time when he posts something that makes me want to respond with a video involving VCDS interfaces and a gallon of 93 octane, I try to step back take a breather, because I simply don't believe it reflects his character. And when he posts the medical or political equivalent of "this antifreeze tastes delicious" a a friend who would just walk away is no friend at all. I try to be as positive as I can, but sometimes when I'm being told I also have to drink the antifreeze, at gunpoint if necessary, it's hard.

Friend of Ross-Tech. We consider Jason a friend despite his politics.

I dearly wish we could talk about politics, but it's hard when you label facts as "beliefs" and TIG-weld them into your very identity such that they can't be examined without regarding it as a personal attack. If your facts can't survive sunlight, they're not facts.

at least it's an open forum where the "boss" don't get mad and shoots if "users" don't agree with his views.

Before anyone starts to covet my forum profile, be aware the "FoRT" label comes with an actual forum-enforced ban from participating in the COVID thread. I didn't know XenForo even had such a feature, but Uwe found it a few weeks ago. :p

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
So... from time to time when he posts something that makes me want to respond with a video involving VCDS interfaces and a gallon of 93 octane, I try to step back take a breather, because I simply don't believe it reflects his character. And when he posts the medical or political equivalent of "this antifreeze tastes delicious" a a friend who would just walk away is no friend at all. I try to be as positive as I can, but sometimes when I'm being told I also have to drink the antifreeze, at gunpoint if necessary, it's hard.
Jason: As I hope you will already know, we happen to share similar positions on many sociopolitical matters - so I consider us to be a kindred spirit and I've often enjoyed your support of ideas in lots of enlightened debates in this place.

I've not had your long association with Ross-Tech, or your personal friendship with its founder (I've never met the man) -but my abiding fascination with many of the souls on this forum, is the diversity in their make-up - which in truth isn't evident anywhere else but in Uwe's Bar.

Of course we ALL interact in the technical part of the forum and I'm constantly in awe of the technical expertise of the folk behind each post (Ross-Tech staff in particular). However, and whilst writing style can be very revealing - the mental picture that one develops about these individuals is very one-dimensional.

It's not until one reads the contributions in Uwe's Bar that those of us that are far away get a real sense of our forum colleagues! And what a very, very diverse bunch of individuals we are?

Personally, I delight in the divergence - IMO, it's absolutely fascinating and it's no more telling than when the positions in dialogue differ.

Wouldn't this forum be a very boring place if we all agree?

Don

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
FWIW, I find it rather odd, that while AZOV has been a vast topic here and at the same time, nobody cares about Russia's Wagner group - which has been active in all major conflicts, which Russia has been involved in for the last decade or so.

If you are outraged and making a fuzz about AZOV, you cannot stand by and not be even more outraged about the Wagner group.

There is an extensive German language report on their actions and their background (on Utkin) with some English language expert comments at the end.

Last edited:

Adam

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57045
Paid assassins - that is who they are. And the most shocking part for me is that if I would ever mention that I want to hire an assassin, I would have SWAT, FBI, CIA, CBŚ, ABW and some other 3-letter commandos in my house within minutes. However, Russians say about Wagner group and they officially declare their targets... just like they would talk about some New Year's resolutions. And no one really seems to care.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
it'a akin to Blackwater group but maybe not as advertised

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
will a native english speaker make sense of this please , i have been turning it in every and which way and i still don't understand nothing :(

" KAMALA HARRIS: "For Jamaica, one of the issues that has been presented as an issue that is economic in the way its impact has been the pandemic.......we will assist Jamaica in Covid recovery by assisting in terms of the recovery efforts in Jamaica that have been essential."

What she said ,please ?

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
will a native english speaker make sense of this please , i have been turning it in every and which way and i still don't understand nothing :(

" KAMALA HARRIS: "For Jamaica, one of the issues that has been presented as an issue that is economic in the way its impact has been the pandemic.......we will assist Jamaica in Covid recovery by assisting in terms of the recovery efforts in Jamaica that have been essential."

What she said ,please ?
She said.... you do like to pick on anyone but your mate Vlad the Invader ....

I am still waiting for even a single mild critique from JMR of Vlads view of the world and how that view can be achieved by shelling the cities and murdering the citizens of a peaceful neighbouring country.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
it'a akin to Blackwater group but maybe not as advertised
If you make statements, please back them up with references and clarify why you feel they are "akin". Just saying something, doesn't make it a fact or even proof a point.

BTW: If you keep ignoring people who question your statements by making valid arguments and asking for proof/references, you're just clarifying that you are the troll in the conversation and not genuinely interested in an open discussion. Specifically, see my points here... and here...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JMR

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
how that view can be achieved by shelling the cities and murdering the citizens of a peaceful neighbouring country.
So this kind of thing is only a problem if it's a neighboring country? Or is it only a problem when Russia does it?

But somehow it's OK when the collective "democratic" west shelled/bombed/invaded countries like Vietnam, Iraq, Libya, Serbia, Afghanistan, and countless others?

Oh, and notion that Ukraine was "peaceful" is BS as well. There's been what amounts to a civil war in the Donbas region for eight years now.

-Uwe-

ModernUkraine.jpg

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
@Sebastian
If you make statements, please back them up with references and clarify why you feel they are "akin". Just saying something, doesn't make it a fact or even proof a point.

BTW: If you keep ignoring people who question your statements by making valid arguments and asking for proof/references, you're just clarifying that you are the troll in the conversation and not genuinely interested in an open discussion. Specifically, see my points here... and here...
I did respond to you in post number 204 . I get it, you don't agree with me but that's ok...

Anyway, as for Wagner group , what's there to say ? They are perhaps a private army of paid military trained killers if you like that direct link to what they are. And so it's Blackwater and many other paramilitary groups that operates in the shadow of certain 3 letters "institution". I wonder why you're so surprised when i said that they are "akin' to . When i said akin , i referred to this definition as per my understanding of the adjective "akin' :

akin
ə-kĭn′

adjective

1. Of the same kin; related by blood.
  2. Having a similar quality or character; analogous.
  3. Sharing a common origin or an ancestral form
or as per Merriam-Webster

akin

adjective
\ ə-ˈkin

1: related by blood : descended from a common ancestor or prototype -The dog and fox are closely akin.
2 : essentially similar, related, or compatible - His interests are akin to mine.

So you don't agree that Blackwater and Wagner Group are similar ??

She said.... you do like to pick on anyone but your mate Vlad the Invader ....

I am still waiting for even a single mild critique from JMR of Vlads view of the world and how that view can be achieved by shelling the cities and murdering the citizens of a peaceful neighbouring country.
No , truly , i do like to read/watch international news from whatever source i can, be it pro ar anti west or pro or anti russian. However , that piece of speech made absolutely no sense to me and what with English being my second language i really didn't make any sense of what she said and maybe i thought i'd get "illuminated" by native english speakers.. I was expecting her to be articulate and intelligent being that she was the California top cop and also the daughter of two professors and graduated from Howard University and the University of California, Hastings College of the Law.
As a VP i would expect her to make sense and be coherent in her speech delivery ...and i honestly have not seen any of that so far.
As for Putin , he's not my buddy-buddy and just because i don't critique him doesn't mean i keep his side. I would also have to critique the whole litany of "westeros" countries and much more. We can critique until we get blue balls ans still nothing comes of it. Personally I believe that he wants his country to be of a greater importance? More secure? Not being pushed around? As far as shelling and murdering citizens of a "peaceful' country..there is where you are misinformed badly . There are ukrainean citizens on the streets of my country and they do not speak well of Zelensky, trust me. Are they pro Putin/russia ? Are they pro Ukraine ? I believe they just want to live in their country peacefully not being " shamelessly " fleeced or harassed or lied to by the " democratic party of Zelensky". You know , it's just tiring seeing how Zelensky asks EU to do that, US to do the other, it's just effing sickening . Anyway, back to the main thing here - I do believe just as a simple peasant that i am : if russian army was going to KO Ukraine he would've done it long time ago. I see some people laughing at the russian army but i don't think that is nearly appropiate to so as they do have some advanced technology and some mean soldiers. Perhaps not all is shown , perhaps it's just a war of attrition (a war in which forces do not confront each other in direct combat with the full strength of their teams, but instead aim to wear each other down over a period of time using tactics such as guerilla warfare, sabotage and other dishonorable means of combat). So , as i have seen from your posts that you are not agreeing at all with me in any of my points and I am not agreeing with you in any of your points, let's just agree to disagree about whatever your heart desires.
Just so you know , this war is not about Ukraine , nor about Russia. There are other economical dynamics at work here which perhaps we don't fully understand and we only see the tip of the iceberg here in this "war".

Reactions: Uwe

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
JMR
I don't agree or disagree with you, I just try to make my points

However I just find it strange for someone who is clearly widely read and a thinker ( judging from your car repair posts) that you believe the whole of the Western world is stupid or corrupt or bad in multiple ways but Putin does not seem to warrant even the slightest rebuke and everything he does is an understandable response to injustices imposed on mother Russia.

I will ask a simple question for which a yes or no answer is appropriate

Do you support him murdering journalists and opposition politicians and rigging elections as its understandable that he had to do it to protect Russia by ensuring he remained in power as he is the only one who can rule properly ?????

Yes or No ?

UWE
You can justify anything by going far enough back in History. The United Nations after WW2 tried to put a stop to the long history of redrawing maps by requiring member sates to recognise the existing borders of all states. How successful this has been you can judge for yourself.

I am not sure what's a civil war in the Donbass region and what is a Russian inspired invasion by little green men.

You also do not make something right like an invasion of Ukraine by quoting other wrongs

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You also do not make something right like an invasion of Ukraine by quoting other wrongs
I'm not saying it was right. I'm saying what I did very early on in this thread, that we (the collective "West") have no moral high ground to stand on. It's disingenuous to act all morally outraged when someone else does exactly the same thing we've done ourselves on numerous occasions in the recent past.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I'm not saying it was right. I'm saying what I did very early on in this thread, that we (the collective "West") have no moral high ground to stand on. It's disingenuous to act all morally outraged when someone else does exactly the same thing we've done ourselves on numerous occasions in the recent past.

-Uwe-
Uwe: Although I agree that the act for going to war always needs justification - I'm not sure that morality (be it either on high, or low ground) is at all relevant! I'm reminded of the adage about the first causality of war - and yes, the "collective "West"" is indeed as complicit in the flow of disinformation as are the media releases from the two combatants in Ukraine.

We keep wanting to put civilized bounds around the notion of war - meaning that we persist in the belief that war can somehow be placed in a neat little box and viewed/judged from the perspective of normal societal constructs (morality being key amongst these). IMO, ALL such attempts to do this are bound to be disappointing because war fundamentally breaks the laws that are necessary to bind societies! There are lots of examples that I can cite - like accepting killing, ignoring sovereignty/property entitlements and abandoning most (all?) human rights!

In such an alien and destructive environment, it's perhaps not surprising that the response from the "collective "west"" (which is not, uninvolved in the war) is motivated more by self-interest, rather than morality- maybe?

I don't mean to justify the "collective "west"" actions by making this assertion - rather, I'm simply pointing-out the folly of clinging to peace-time principles during a time of war (again, the west is a type of combatant in the Ukraine war by virtue of their interests in a particular outcome)

Bottom line= if the rule is: let him who is without sin cast the first stone - there would be a deafening silence from the "collective "west"" (and from Russia - and frankly also from Ukraine)

Don

• Love

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
However I just find it strange for someone who is clearly widely read and a thinker ( judging from your car repair posts) that you believe the whole of the Western world is stupid or corrupt or bad in multiple ways but Putin does not seem to warrant even the slightest rebuke and everything he does is an understandable response to injustices imposed on mother Russia.
I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I am clearly read person and a thinker based on my ability to repair cars and giving few good answers here and there on this forum. I would though take that as a compliment if that's what was intended and I thank you sir !

My ability to read and make/form my own opinions sometimes against the flow or sometimes with the flow comes from my life experience where i've been through good and bad throughout my existence so far. Yes, to answer your question i do believe that the "west" is corrupt , not stupid, but corrupt, cunning and careless ! Personal opinion , cannot change it for now. I personally believe that Putin is not stupid/idiot/demented. His policies might be tougher than what should be, but he is not stupid and he does not make incoherent political moves. I do not rebuke Putin 's actions because i was just reading few minutes ago how just a week or so before his invasion of Ukraine , Olaf Scholtz has offered Ukraine ( Zelensky ) a chance for peace with Russia which Zelensky turned it down on February 19th . Russia and US would've jointly signed a guarantee for Ukraine s security and Ukraine would not join NATO. Did the main media tell you this at the beggining of the war??? If this news didn't trickle down in your part of the world yet, it will be coming soon or you can freely search for it. On another news is that US gave greenlight now to Zelensky to negotiate an offer for ease of sanctions against Russia in exchange of a peace deal. The US gave green light ! How the hell should i interpret that ? As far as mother Russia as you name it..mother Russia seems to have been gaining somewhat traction and not being dipped under the water as it was widely thought just few weeks ago because of the sanctions. It seems that it's coming mostly unscathed from this ordeal and even imposing it's own rules and countries falling in line to fulfill them. Such as rubles for gas/oil/other goods. Slovakia has accepted and it's a matter of time before countries really depending on Russian gas will fall in place ( Hungary, Germany , Serbia and many more). You see, you just can't fuck with the person/country that gives you food and heat and other goods, can you now? And it seems that the 'west" ( perhaps mostly the EU bloc) has began to realize that it's fucking itself so far for the present and for the future. I would not like to see Russia fail. Russia keeps in check many things, along with China , India and other non "westeros" ( sorry , I like Game of Thrones ) countries. There needs to be a balance. I like to call that a " democratic' power check balance. And just to put a smile on your face perhaps , here's an anecdote which i've seen somewhere :

Iraq asks US : hey, why the hell did you invaded me?
US replies: well, I thought you have nuclear weapons /wmd !
Iraq says : hmmm...why don't you invade Russia then??
US says: well..they do have nuclear weapons and wmd !!!

I will ask a simple question for which a yes or no answer is appropriate
Though the question is simple , the answer is not. It is not appropiate to say yes or no to this question !

To say NO would mean to deny the russian people their right to feel secure inside their borders . To say yes would mean to condone such move and while the move is not right it was the last move , so strategically thinking ... Would you sacrifice few for the sake of millions ? Would you sacrifice yourself for the good of 10 people ? Hard questions, even harder answers, isn't it ??
In light of the trickling news that are slowly coming to different parts of the world..it seems to me that opportunity was offered , begged for ....but stupidly rejected .

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe