VCDS Mobile with iPhone - slow, freezing

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
Hi,

I received HN2 version of HEX-NET so I try it with iPhone (iPhone 13 with latest iOS 15.3) and here is video, what I can see. HN is in AP mode. CB is V0.4555, FW 1.64. Car is Golf 6 MY2011.

It is normal?

Thanks.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
That looks much slower than typical to me, and it's very telling that the browser refreshing is lagging behind the actual data sample rate. It looks like you are experiencing network lag which is usually either do to signal strength or wifi interference.
Some questions:
How far is your phone from the interface when you are doing this?
What is the wifi environment like, are you in a public place with a lot of other networks?

I would check with another device like a different phone to make sure the behavior is consistent, and try making sure the phone isn't too far from the interface. It might also be helpful to use a wifi analyzer app to check what other networks are in the area.

Reactions: Uwe

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
Iphone was max 1m from device (on console near radio) and environment was clear, test was on street. In car I have Wireless CarPlay adapter only. That was only 2 WiFi, that iPhone showing.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
What wifi channel is the carplay using? It would be good to check in a wifi analyzer app. Have you tried with the carplay adapter off? Have you tried with a different phone?

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
I will try it later. Channel can't be changed, but I will try to power off radio, I can try other phone and notebook too.

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
So, I checked it and problem was, that WiFi still reconnecting after few seconds. I check it at home, where I have more WiFi networks and it was OK, while was HN powered from PC USB or USB power adapter too. I updated HN to latest beta meanwhile, I read something about disconnecting in description, so, I test it in car later too.

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
It seems, that problem is because I have in car FIS+ advanced (PF04) and it have some problems, because I have in car MIB2 standard retrofitted :-) In other car was WiFi stable.

• Informative

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
So, it is not FIS+ Advanced problem. O remove it, but still WiFi is each few second discinnecting.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
What are the voltages reported for Vign and Vbatt in the car in question, you can check in an autoscan or VCDS [Options]->[Test] or in the low power config section in VCDS-Mobile. What is the LED behavior of the interface when it disconnects? It is possible the interface is going into low power mode or rebooting.

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
I have disabled vbat and vign, I test it with 6V limit too, I have tested it while engine on and voltage was 13,8, still same. About diodes, led1 (car) still green, led 2 (WiFi) still orange and led 3 (cpu) blink green/orange.

• Informative

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
So it's not a voltage issue then, sounds like it is some kind of signal interference. Where is the interface when you do this, is it tucked under the dash or do you have any kind of DLC extension? Where is your phone relative to the interface? Have you tried putting the phone down in the footwell near the interface to see if this improves the connection?

swenak

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236893
Yes, it seems, that it is WiFi signal problem. Phone near HEX-NET not solve it, but when I fully disconnect Wireless CarPlay adapter and it start work, but will testing later, it was only short test.

Back