Night Vision Retrofit Audi E-tron GT

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
Does anyone know where I can tap into the CAN-BUS on the E-tron GT for the NV controller?
I assume there are several independent CAN-BUSES.

I have a connection point called TIUR based on the schematics but I am not able to find it`s location inside the car (described to be located at: "In interior, below right")

Anyone with access to the schematics able to help me?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I assume there are several independent CAN-BUSES.
Yes indeed. Plus no doubt some FlexRay and likely a MOST bus as well.

What is an NV controller?

-Uwe-

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
Yes indeed. Plus no doubt some FlexRay and likely a MOST bus as well.

What is an NV controller?

-Uwe-
NightVision Controller (J853)
Trying to tap into the correct Can-Bus to connect the NightVision controller to the Data Bus diagnostic interface (j533) <- The controller is almost impossible to get to so trying to tap in somewhere else.

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Sounds like it would be a good idea for you to get a wiring diagram (that's a link you can click on).

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Isnt the gateway located behind the dash somewhere.. exactly where i dont know but cant be that hidden. Check the lower A pillar coupling points for the CAN connection. The dash panel nearly always has a seperate loom.

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
Isnt the gateway located behind the dash somewhere.. exactly where i dont know but cant be that hidden. Check the lower A pillar coupling points for the CAN connection. The dash panel nearly always has a seperate loom.
That is true. It is located in front of the center console underneath the dash, but due to the design of the interior. The Center console, glovebox and a whole much of other things have to be removed just to get to the gateway (J533) Marked as #9 in the attached schematics https://ibb.co/KxzJwTp
That is why I would like to tap in somewhere else

The other picture is the schematics between J533 and the Night vision controller(J533)https://ibb.co/sbFGrxW

One question is have is if the same can-bus system have the same colors throughout the car

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
Sounds like it would be a good idea for you to get a wiring diagram (that's a link you can click on).
I have the schematics via ERWIN. But it`s hard to see what CAN-BUS cables are connected with eachother. For example if the backup camera controller talks on the same CAN-BUS as the Night Vision controller or the drivers assist system controller(j1121) is connected on the same can-bus.

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
The NV is running on the Extended CAN and thats the only CAN you need to connect to. Connecting to any other CAN network is a NO NO. Find the connection point it refers to 'below right' or get to the gateway. Its the way and correct way to do it

Reactions: Uwe

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
The NV is running on the Extended CAN and thats the only CAN you need to connect to. Connecting to any other CAN network is a NO NO. Find the connection point it refers to 'below right' or get to the gateway. Its the way and correct way to do it
Thank you for explaining! Makes sense. When you talk about the gateway you are refering to J533(Data Bus diagnostics interface) correct?

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
oh yess yess

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
Thank you. Do you know where TIUR connections usually are located? Is it in the footwell on right side (on a left hand drive car)?
ElsaWin does not say where the connection is located

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
What I have found out is that J1167 and the other engine sound generator control units are connected to the CAN-BUS H/L extended <- Could I then tap into this one for the night vision controller as long as it`s on the extended CAN? https://ibb.co/GJH0xCC https://ibb.co/JmcLnsq

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
LHD or RHD the right side is the same when sat in the car from the drivers seat.
If you look up the j533 on the wiring diagrams and find the extended CAN wires, then look at what modules these wires connect to. Find the nearest one to the dash and tap into that. If you dont mind running a cable to the rear to the sound gen then by all means connect into that. But make sure you are using a twisted pair cable and its wrapped to prevent further issues.

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
LHD or RHD the right side is the same when sat in the car from the drivers seat.
If you look up the j533 on the wiring diagrams and find the extended CAN wires, then look at what modules these wires connect to. Find the nearest one to the dash and tap into that. If you dont mind running a cable to the rear to the sound gen then by all means connect into that. But make sure you are using a twisted pair cable and its wrapped to prevent further issues.
Thank you. Much apprectiated for your help Morski. I managed to wire up the power to from the fusebox for the controller, signal cables to the speedometer and tapped into the CAN extended in the rear.
The only thing left now is to provide power to the washer pump for the nightvision camera.
Do you happen to know the part number for the pin#2 on the picture. The ones I have ended up beeing too short and not locking into position.

Last edited:

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
have you got a part number for the connector your referring to?

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Part number for the pin is 000979009E. Classed as a repair set with wire pre crimped

Andreasmkr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189350
Part number for the pin is 000979009E. Classed as a repair set with wire pre crimped
Thank you! Was able to get the part at the local Audi dealer. Got VCDS to talk to the NightVision controller now. Just have to figure out what other controllers to code for the night vision.
You dont happen to know the controllers effected?
I`am aslo trying to code the ABS module but due to lack of a security code for coding NightVision setting to it I am not able to get it to accept the code

Last edited:
Back