2000 Golf mk4 GTI airbag problem...

Artiforgs

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have tried all day getting my VCDS up and running again, it suddenly does not work after a year not using it.
(USB interface not found-driver issue thing, I have tried EVERY tip on the internet..still no go)
I have posted full scans here before when retrofitting parts to my Passat, and I do have a genuine cable! But now unfortunately not able to scan my Golf with VCDS :(

Anyway, using another diagnostic tool we have at our workshop, it came up with the following codes:
01221 - crash sensor side airbag driver side, short to plus (permanent)
01222 - crash sensor side airbag passenger side, short to plus (permanent)
00532 - supply voltage too low, (intermitted)
01217 - side airbag igniter, driver side, resistance too high (intermitted)
01218 - side airbag igniter, passenger side, resistance too high (intermitted)

I bought the car a month ago, well aware that the car has been sitting for 7-8 years without a battery in it, due to not approved by MOT cause of several things, (bad brakes, broken handbrake wire, exhaust leaks etc, and the prev.owner just bought a new car instead of fixing it)

So i took the car on a trailer, fixed everything, new alternator, new battery, new headlamps, new exhaust, new brakes and all bushings etc etc,
with the airbag light beeing the only fault left to fix.

But now, when trying to clear the airbag codes, they dont even let me clear them.
Even the intermitted faults pop right up instantly, as the airbag ECU is locked with the errors in it.

I have tried to disconnect the battery, and touching plus and minus cable together (VW dealer told me this could help resetting things??)

I have measured all wires going from the airbag ECU, to each connector driver and passanger side, all wires are good, no short circuit.

I have bypassed the connector under the seat (read some contact problems could accour here), still not good.
(I have the 3pin seat connectors), and stock Recaro seats with side airbags in them)

Replaced both airbag igniters, the ones under the carpet fastened to the steel beam in front of the seat, still no difference.
None of the fault codes is letting me clear them.

Even if i DISCONNECT both igniters, and both side airbag sensors under seat, I get the same errors, ECU seems stuck with codes??

Is there anyone who can help me ?
Im trying to fix my VCDS USB problem, but until then, I really would appreciate some help, im sure someone has been over a similar problem..

Is my airbag ECU faulty, since im not able to clear even "old intermitted" errors like low ECU voltage..? Im connected to a battery charger, so its def.not low voltage..

Airbag ECU: 606 909 605A
Airbag igniters: 1J0909606D (both of these replaced with new ones from dealer, with same part nr)

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
I have tried all day getting my VCDS up and running again, it suddenly does not work after a year not using it.
(USB interface not found-driver issue thing, I have tried EVERY tip on the internet..still no go)
I have posted full scans here before when retrofitting parts to my Passat, and I do have a genuine cable! But now unfortunately not able to scan my Golf with VCDS :(

When you plug the cable into the DLC socket, does it lite? That is do you see the LED(s) winky and blinky?

Lit full red by chance?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
That means it has power and is ready to work...

I guess you need to post some screen shots of the Options [Test] screen with the dialog box that shows what VCDS is telling you.

How To Post Pictures

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Hi all!

The last time you posted here regarding the Passat six months ago, you said you borrowed VCDS from someone else. Now you have your own, but it doesn't work?

Reactions: Uwe

Artiforgs

Reaction score
The last time you posted here regarding the Passat six months ago, you said you borrowed VCDS from someone else. Now you have your own, but it doesn't work?
Its the same VCDS, i still have it. My buddy does not longer have VW, So, technically not mine, but I still have it =)

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Its the same VCDS, i still have it. My buddy does not longer have VW, So, technically not mine, but I still have it =)
1) Did your buddy get a VCDS CD with the cable? Did you use that to install VCDS or download it from the Ross-Tech website?

2) Please can you post a photo of the VCDS cable showing the serial number.

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
i can smell blooooooood !! :)

Artiforgs

Reaction score
1) Did your buddy get a VCDS CD with the cable? Did you use that to install VCDS or download it from the Ross-Tech website?

2) Please can you post a photo of the VCDS cable showing the serial number.
Thanks for anwsering, and sorry for my late reply.
Both kids have been sick, and then myself..

yes I have the complete «case» it came in, and theres a CD in it yes.

I downloaded the SW first time i borrowed the cable (some years ago when retrofitting OEM adaptive xenons to my Passat), and every time it popped up showing new version available, ive updated accordingly.

But anyway! Found out at the swedish rosstech website, that my cable version was stopped being supported after a certain SW version, and thats whats been bugging me getting it to work.

so I managed to delete everything, and installing the last version i knew ive used my cable in, and then fixing USB driver error after I found a useful how-to online.

so im hoping to get time to post a scan later today.

but whats up with «upload picture of cable», «smelling blood» «last time you posted here it wasnt your VCDS, and now you have one» blablabla?

Im asking for help on specific DTCs here, but everyone is more concerned about what my cable serial number is, and whose VCDS i have. Jesus. I have a legit VCDS, otherwise i had not been asking here…just have had serious problems with getting it to work!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Found out at the swedish rosstech website, that my cable version was stopped being supported after a certain SW version,
If the cable is legitimate, it should still be supported.

I have a legit VCDS, otherwise i had not been asking here…just have had serious problems with getting it to work!
Then please post a picture of it.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
  • Agree

Artiforgs

Reaction score
FINALLY got the scan!

Note; Previous owner said that steering wheel airbag went off after he bumped into his garagewall.
He changed the steeringwheel with a new one, and then the car stood for years unused.

Ive now changed BOTH airbag igniters, the red ones bolted to the crossbeam under the carpet, but the DTCs does not change.
Anyone please!

Code:
Friday,28,January,2022,15:37:45:63646
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 7 x64
VCDS Version: 21.9.0.2 (x64)
Data version: 20210903 DS330.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

Chassis Type: 1H - VW Golf/Vento III (1992 > 1999)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 12 15 25 41 56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 06A-906-018-AGU.lbl
   Part No: 06A 906 018 CH
   Component: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D02  
   Coding: 04000
   Shop #: WSC 00000  
   VCID: 6AE24DEE168777D9FF-FFFE

No fault code found.
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ABS.clb
   Part No: 1J0 907 379 Q
   Component: ABS/EDS 20 IE CAN  0001  
   Coding: 13504
   Shop #: WSC 01317  
   VCID: 3FB4CCBA3D85227178-FFFE

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: 3Bx-907-044.lbl
   Part No: 3B1 907 044 C
   Component: CLIMATRONIC     C 0.7.0  
   Coding: 01000
   VCID: 21706AC2AB3174816E-FFFE

2 Faults Found:
00792 - A/C Pressure Switch (F129) 
            35-00 - -
01271 - Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68) 
            37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
   Part No: 6Q0 909 605 A
   Component: 0F AIRBAG VW5  01   0004  
   Coding: 12358
   VCID: 3558AE920FB9E821A2-FFFE

6 Faults Found:
01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) 
            28-00 - Short to Plus
01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180) 
            28-00 - Short to Plus
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error 
            00-10 - - - Intermittent
00532 - Supply Voltage B+ 
            07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199) 
            32-10 - Resistance Too High - Intermittent
01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200) 

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 02:45)--------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JMR

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ive now changed BOTH airbag igniters, the red ones bolted to the crossbeam under the carpet,
One does not simply "change" airbag igniters. I think you mean you changed the crash sensors?

"Short to Plus" could be a bad ground connection somewhere, or an open circuit. Have you verified all relevant wiring?

-Uwe-

PS: The cable that scan was made with is legit, and since you're using the current Release 21.9, it is clearly still supported. However, it has never been registered with Ross-Tech, so if it is yours, please Get Verified.

Artiforgs

Reaction score
One does not simply "change" airbag igniters. I think you mean you changed the crash sensors?

"Short to Plus" could be a bad ground connection somewhere, or an open circuit. Have you verified all relevant wiring?

-Uwe-

PS: The cable that scan was made with is legit, and since you're using the current Release 21.9, it is clearly still supported. However, it has never been registered with Ross-Tech, so if it is yours, please Get Verified.
hi, and thanks for anwsering.
Well, i replaced both the red sensors on the crossbeam underneath the carpet.
There was signs of previous owner had soldered new connectors probably due to corrosion.
Ive also checked connectors under borh seats, since ive read similar issues with bad connections.
but still the same.
So my question is, is my airbag ECU defective?
Since when I try to clear INTERMITTED DTCs, they still pup right back up..

yea i know the cable is legit, my buddy said he paid like 700USD for it…

So what I meant, I mean what i think happened, is that after a update, something happened to my usb driver, because when launching VCDS, i got the message to test and save the usb before I could do anything, and I only got error, «cant find USBor something. And according to a swedish rosstech Page, its something that can happen after an SW update or something.
Anyway, got it sortes finally after multiple attempts.

(Its NOT my cable, ive just had it for a few years now, since my buddy borrowed me the whole case, and he no longer have VW..)

so I guess i could verify it. My buddy know im using it and posting here so..

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
@Quintus Rotam : so if @Uwe moves this to car repair support , OP will not be able to post in this thread anymore :). I am sorry that the guy got mad at me really, he seems like a nice person..it's just that few times i've took it on the nose after helping or preparing to help a pirate or another and that made me feel awkward :) . So now unless a staff member says a new user has a legit vcds...i'm just cracking up :D.Do you remember when i was a new member with a legit second hand VCDS and asked why I cannot get any support/posting privileges ?:)

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
@Quintus Rotam : Do you remember when i was a new member with a legit second hand VCDS and asked why I cannot get any support/posting privileges ?:)
I do remember.
I also remember thinking: "Going straight to RT Davy Jones' locker, landlubber."
And yet, here you arrrrr.
;)

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
You have multiple problems with your airbag system as shown by the Auto-Scan:
6 Faults Found:
01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
28-00 - Short to Plus
01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180)
28-00 - Short to Plus
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-10 - - - Intermittent
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200)
- 2 problems with sensors showing a short (BTW there may be shorting links in the connectors, have you checked them?)

- 1 internal airbag module memory fault (may need the module needs replacing)

- 1 problem with the power supply to the airbag module

- 2 problems with the side igniters being either open circuit only have the or (if they've been replaced) the wrong type.

You need to take a methodical approach to solving each and every one of these.

Since you only have the previous owners word what was changed when he hit the garage wall I would suggest you start by first checking whether you have ALL the correct components fitted to the car by referring to a proper parts catalog (BTW for the airbag module the part number AND the letters after - the 'color code' MUST be identical).

Artiforgs

Reaction score
What people here have been trying to tell you:
First off, that I didnt know, cause ive been helped here several times with this excact cable, at several occations.

Second off, and this sounds pretty unbelievable, but totally true: the VCDS ive been using now for 3-4 years is a neighboor and a buddy of mines, and The VCDS itself my buddy got from his dads stuff after he passed away. He was a car guy, and had genuine vcds, peugeot/citroen cables etc.

so im thinking its more than enough hazzle to fix this «ownership» thing of the cable, cause my buddy kinda gave it to me years ago.
but thanks for clearing what everyones been TRYING to say, cause its really impossible to guess what people are trying to say, unless they actually say it..

Back