C?ID=174556
jS68251IWSTPwMa64znoEcFMgPUXLAPYpyEAPtKyh18u7Easga2b4gjHNsblkd7V.webp

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all of us at Ross-Tech!

I'll be available on-line, but our office is closed until January 3rd.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Christmas Eve 1776 Changed The World Forever

Late in 1776, the American War of Independence looked like it was a lost cause. The patriots lacked uniforms, food, ammunition and weapons and some were even shoeless. There was tremendous suffering from cold and starvation. A series of defeats had depleted morale, and many had already deserted.

In the bitter cold on Christmas Eve 1776, dogged by pelting sleet and snow, George Washington knelt in prayer at McKonkey's Ferry asking the Lord for the right words to inspire his troops to keep going. They needed to cross the Delaware River for a surprise attack on the British.

He found them in the words of Thomas Paine:
The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives a thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated.

That night, Washington’s army crossed the icy Delaware in the days that followed won two crucial battles. He defeated the British at Trenton on Christmas day, and a week later he executed a daring night raid to capture Princeton on January 3. This gave control of New Jersey to America and turned around the morale and unified the colonial army.

-Uwe-

WNSqb70.jpg

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Happy Holidays to all, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it and to all I wish for a better 2022.

With my Christmas lunch I'll be raising a glass to all those we have lost this year, with a special tear in my eye for Jack.

Back