Gutted my vcds hex net blown

Powernut

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384686
Working fine for 8 month plugged usb to to usb interface and lights come on then went off no power to unit when plugged into car , is there any possible fuse or do I bin it and buy another
( hex net WiFi interface h n1-005818)

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
If it's still covered by warranty:
Hardware purchased from Ross-Tech is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one year from receipt by the end-user.
This is a "Return to Factory" warranty, meaning defective hardware must be returned to us at the customer's expense.
Ross-Tech will ship repaired or replacement goods to the customer at our expense using a comparable method of shipment.
This warranty is not transferable if you sell your hardware.

You must contact us for a Return Authorization prior to returning any merchandise.
No refunds or replacements will be issued without a RETURN AUTHORIZATION (RA) number!
You must contact us to receive an RA number.
If you purchased VCDS from a distributor, you may be required to return your system to the distributor instead of to Ross-Tech under some circumstances.​

Crasher

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
My first one failed but Marshalls of Cambridge replaced it within a few days under warranty and it has been fine since

Last edited:

Derek

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56983
If you bought it new 8 month ago it's well in warranty, so if you contact the seller they should be able to help you out
Best regards
Derek

Last edited:

Crasher

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
Hello Dereck. I tried to buy my HEX NET from you but couldn't get through, right at the beginning of lockdown, were you shut?.

Derek

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56983
No, things were a bit random with deliveries for a while, but I was here.

Thanks for thinking of us though.
all the best

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There are no fuses in a HEX-NET.

HN1-005818 is a bit more than four years old. It was originally sold by Gendan to a customer named "Nick" who registered it in January of 2018.

The OP in this thread looks to have bought it second-hand and re-registered it in the spring of 2020, so I'm not sure where "8 months" comes from.

Sorry, but it is long out of warranty. We do have a flat-rate repair/replacement program for out-of warranty interfaces. I would suggest that @Powernut should work with Gendan to get it replaced. Point them at this thread. Explain that although he is a second-hand owner, he is registered with Ross-Tech and thus eligible for support.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving to Product Support.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Working fine for 8 month plugged usb to to usb interface and lights come on then went off no power to unit when plugged into car , is there any possible fuse or do I bin it and buy another
( hex net WiFi interface h n1-005818)
@Powernut: I'm going on memory (I no longer have my hex-can device), but I recall (I think) that the primary power supply on the 12Volt side was a simple 3 x pin regulator (probably something like a 7805). If you have a multi-meter, maybe check the output pin on the 5Volt regulator - if it's "cactus", I wouldn't think that it would be difficult to replace-assuming you have basic soldering skills!

Of course I agree with others that it's better to upgrade. But if you can fix the old device, you can sell it second hand (they tend to hold their price) - the revenue from the sale will help offset the cost of the upgrade

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I recall (I think) that the primary power supply on the 12Volt side was a simple 3 x pin regulator (probably something like a 7805).
That's correct -- on HEX+CAN.

But the OP has a HEX-NET, which has a fairly complicated switch-mode power supply on the car side.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
oops - I should have read OP words more carefully - my bad.

Don

Powernut

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384686
Hi all contacted vcds. Interface isn’t covered so sent it off. Technical guy says maybe a faulty usb. If not it’s then sent to Ross text for a new board. Hopefully still comes back for united vin use