Trying to figure out what to buy, but not 100% sure of the feature list descriptions

Wrenchly

Reaction score
Ok, bought a legit Hex-V2 from one of the registered dealers. Fedex got that to me inside 24 hours. Haven't yet registered it, says I have 14 uses left before needing to worry about that

I suppose this question might be better on it's own thread, but I can't access the part where I would delete old keys. I need to log in with a PIN, which I don't have. There was something about needing to use a locksmith's software, or something? Any advice on what to ask for should I start calling locksmiths? Or is there something different I could try first to get this PIN? My car is a 1999.5 Mk4 TDI

And finally, if there's nothing I can do with that, then what can I do to prevent the car from being able to receive a radio signal from a key fob? Anybody happen to know where the antenna for that is located? I'd cut the antenna out of the circuit & solder a 50 ohm resistor from that to ground, or something along those lines

I have a valet key and the glass pill from one of the dead fobs that fell apart, so two transponders I could transplant to a different key profile, if I buy a salvaged lock set. But I really would like to not have the remote feature working anymore if I can't log in to the key programming

Wrenchly

Reaction score
ps - got a couple DTC's my low-buck OBD scanner didn't know about. Been wondering why the brakes get weird every now & then. Says my left front wheel speed sensor isn't working right. That right there might just be the thing that paid for this!

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
Ok, bought a legit Hex-V2 from one of the registered dealers. Fedex got that to me inside 24 hours. Haven't yet registered it, says I have 14 uses left before needing to worry about that

I suppose this question might be better on it's own thread, but I can't access the part where I would delete old keys.
Why not register your device, get your forum account verified, and then post your questions in all relevant parts of the forum (accompanied by a full unedited Auto-Scan, of course)?

Wrenchly

Reaction score
Why not register your device, get your forum account verified, and then post your questions in all relevant parts of the forum (accompanied by a full unedited Auto-Scan, of course)?
No reason other than it's very cold & dark out at the moment. Though at least the laptop, a small bathroom heater and the Hex-V2 are all still sitting out in the car. I'll do all that tomorrow

Does registering the cable have anything to do with getting my account verified?

I have a auto scan already saved on the laptop, I'd assume that's a simple file attachment, but I don't see an option like that on this thread

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
Did you notice that "get your forum account verified" and "full unedited Auto-Scan" in my post appear to be written in bold letters? That's because those are hyperlinks, click and see.

Does registering the cable have anything to do with getting my account verified?
From the first link:
If your status is something other than a "Verified" user, that means we could not find you in our customer records when you joined the forum. This could be due to one of following:
2) You bought your VCDS system from one of our resellers and you haven't registered the product with Ross-Tech yet. In that case you are not in our customer records, and can't get verified until after you do register.

I have a auto scan already saved on the laptop, I'd assume that's a simple file attachment, but I don't see an option like that on this thread
Follow the second hyperlink to learn all about posting an Auto-Scan, but I can sum it up here: copy everything from the Auto-Scan text file, paste it into a forum post (add [code ] tags before and after the pasted text).

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I suppose this question might be better on it's own thread, but I can't access the part where I would delete old keys. I need to log in with a PIN, which I don't have. There was something about needing to use a locksmith's software, or something? Any advice on what to ask for should I start calling locksmiths? Or is there something different I could try first to get this PIN? My car is a 1999.5 Mk4 TDI

Are you sure your 99.5 has an immobilizer?. My old 99.5 didnt have one, Post a scan from the car and we can see what it has.

Reactions: Uwe

Wrenchly

Reaction score
Are you sure your 99.5 has an immobilizer?. My old 99.5 didnt have one, Post a scan from the car and we can see what it has.
Yup, pretty certain of that. I could just say that there's a dash indicator with the key in car icon, but even better than that is when I tried fixing my broken key fob by JB Welding a keychain end to the flippy piece that has the key grooves. The car would start, run for exactly one second and then stop running. That dash light was on the entire time I tried this. So then I dug out the glass pill and taped it right next to the ignition lock cylinder. That worked great until the tape failed, then it took me while to find that pill. I realized I could easily have stepped on it & busted the thing. So I switched to using the valet key. It's not that big a deal to use the door switch for opening the trunk

Ok, guess it's time to get outside and turn on that heater. I'll start a new thread once I get further along in the day

Wrenchly

Reaction score
Did you notice that "get your forum account verified" and "full unedited Auto-Scan" in my post appear to be written in bold letters? That's because those are hyperlinks, click and see.

From the first link:

Follow the second hyperlink to learn all about posting an Auto-Scan, but I can sum it up here: copy everything from the Auto-Scan text file, paste it into a forum post (add [code ] tags before and after the pasted text).
I'm sure I would've thought of such an obvious solution, once I actually tried to post that log file...

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Hi Wrenchly, I've read through this entire thread and a common theme stands out with the "back and forth" ie your posts and forum members answers: and that is.... you are asking questions and then simply talking right past members answers! (no offense, just my opinion). You need to LISTEN and then LEARN What it is that they are Describing to you ! I fear you have no idea what they are trying to tell you (with a smile on my face). STOP asking diagnostic and vcds questions ;) (temporarily of course) and follow the advice (Structure) members have given you (above) in order to get you STARTED. I realize you are anxious to get to your project (naturally) but you have some knowledge to obtain FIRST - a "Introduction" of sorts ; that way the forum membership can begin to communicate with you AND solve your vcds / VW concerns. There is a Process and a Structure (I know, your new, I get it! Believe me, I'm no VCDS expert, but I do know people). You need to "back up" and preform some tasks First!

So, if you are interested in utilizing your VCDS properly (IMO) here is your "assignment" (for a much more educational and rewarding experience here on the forum):

1) Go to the forum landing page and explore: how to get registered, how to get verified (both have specific benefits to you) hint, see QR post #23. (he is clearly trying to help you, but you don't even realize it!) Preform these tasks! They are very elementary and will get you into the Process of VCDS diagnosis.

2) At this point , there are no "exact" answers as there are so many variables (you will learn this as you advance) , for example one vehicle MY (model year could have many different parts , call variants) ; For Example same car, yet several different part numbers (PN's) for the same part AND different VCDS readings! We need to see and you need to post a complete, unedited, Auto-scan. So, that is task #2 : obtain a auto-scan (once again see post #23 QR), SAVE, save, save it on your PC, then post it in the Proper area of the forum (as best you can) landing page (where all the categories are listed) with a detailed narrative (description of your vw concern) and the conversation / communication with forum members can begin. :thanks:(if you were verified you could post there!)

****** I hope you will accept this post / advice , and those prior to this, in the spirit for which they were given (helpful and constructive !) and take it to heart! Welcome and congratulations on your (legitimate) VCDS purchase. ******

There will be a quiz next week! :D

Wrenchly

Reaction score
Hi Wrenchly, I've read through this entire thread and a common theme stands out with the "back and forth" ie your posts and forum members answers: and that is.... you are asking questions and then simply talking right past members answers! (no offense, just my opinion). You need to LISTEN and then LEARN What it is that they are Describing to you ! I fear you have no idea what they are trying to tell you (with a smile on my face). STOP asking diagnostic and vcds questions ;) (temporarily of course) and follow the advice (Structure) members have given you (above) in order to get you STARTED. I realize you are anxious to get to your project (naturally) but you have some knowledge to obtain FIRST - a "Introduction" of sorts ; that way the forum membership can begin to communicate with you AND solve your vcds / VW concerns. There is a Process and a Structure (I know, your new, I get it! Believe me, I'm no VCDS expert, but I do know people). You need to "back up" and preform some tasks First!

So, if you are interested in utilizing your VCDS properly (IMO) here is your "assignment" (for a much more educational and rewarding experience here on the forum):

1) Go to the forum landing page and explore: how to get registered, how to get verified (both have specific benefits to you) hint, see QR post #23. (he is clearly trying to help you, but you don't even realize it!) Preform these tasks! They are very elementary and will get you into the Process of VCDS diagnosis.

2) At this point , there are no "exact" answers as there are so many variables (you will learn this as you advance) , for example one vehicle MY (model year could have many different parts , call variants) ; For Example same car, yet several different part numbers (PN's) for the same part AND different VCDS readings! We need to see and you need to post a complete, unedited, Auto-scan. So, that is task #2 : obtain a auto-scan (once again see post #23 QR), SAVE, save, save it on your PC, then post it in the Proper area of the forum (as best you can) landing page (where all the categories are listed) with a detailed narrative (description of your vw concern) and the conversation / communication with forum members can begin. :thanks:(if you were verified you could post there!)

****** I hope you will accept this post / advice , and those prior to this, in the spirit for which they were given (helpful and constructive !) and take it to heart! Welcome and congratulations on your (legitimate) VCDS purchase. ******

There will be a quiz next week! :D
Sounds good, I'm just bouncing around from a few other projects, so it's really easy to lose track of a thread here! I appreciate your advice, just got to let it all sink in some more!

Back