2006 Jetta Ignition Electrical Switch position

fuel6092

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=451175
My key felt strange when I pulled it out of the ignition tumbler a few nights ago, and when I inserted the key to start the car shortly thereafter, it would not move. The steering wheel wasn't locked, but the key would not rotate to "on" or "start". I put the valet key in, and tapped on it for about 20 minutes, and it finally moved, and I was running again. I pulled the ignition housing, the tumbler assembly, and the electrical ignition switch and when I went to reassemble, it dawned on me that I did not take note of the position of the slot in the electrical switch. Conceivably, it could be 180 degrees off, but perhaps that doesn't matter, and it will still contact the proper terminals when the key switch is rotated? I dread putting this back together and having an issue, plus, that electrical switch was quite stubborn. Would anyone here happen to know if the position matters? I suppose that if you replace a switch, there's no former clocked position, but perhaps the instructions direct the installer to position a certain way? Thanks, Chuck

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

If I recall correctly, the electrical portion of the ignition switch can fit in place only one way. But I could be wrong?

I would have a look at the way the wiring harness is formed, it should be an indicator as to how the switch originally was positioned.

ref:

Even if you did or could put it in 180° out from the correct position, you could test it to see if it would work correctly and reverse it if it does not work.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

fuel6092

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=451175
Thanks for the response DrPeter - apparently, I got lucky, everything worked fine!