Language Chit-Chat

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
I saw you on Youtube, interviewed at some trade show in Germany (I assume) and as someone who didn't speak a lick of German at the time, I can confirm whatever I heard was definitely some Philadelphia German.
@jyoung8607 can you post the youtube link ? I would like to hear some Philly German :)

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
and I found that this really annoyed the French people.
@JSWTDI09 French are born annoyed....you better learn basic french words if you are ever in France. Here's the kicker : french people have a very good grasp and lots of them speak very good english but they hate to speak it ( especially commercial workers , waiters, etc etc).

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Same here back in the early 1970's - my school offered 3 languages (French, German and Latin) of which you had to choose 2 BUT Latin had to be one of them!

I wanted to study French and German as I considered they would be more useful to me in my chosen career of engineering, but was rudely told that was not allowed...
As a i'm a speaker of a Latin roots language ( romanian, italian, french and spanish ) we were offered in middle school French, German, English and Russian as choices ( you had to choose 2 of them , either french german or russian english ). However , Latin was offered for just 2 years ( between 5th and 7th grade ) never to be heard of again during school years up to college.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
we were offered in middle school French, German, English and Russian as choices
Since I do not know your age, I am curious: Was this before or after December of 1989?

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Since I do not know your age, I am curious: Was this before or after December of 1989?

-Uwe-
47 boss . That was before The Revolution . Nowdays Latin is not present in any school.
They still offer English French and German AFAIK

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
@jyoung8607 can you post the youtube link ? I would like to hear some Philly German :)

It actually isn't nearly as Philadelphia as I remembered, maybe I owe @Uwe an apology. :D IIRC he posted it himself back when the interview was first done, with a self-deprecating comment of some form, maybe that's what I remembered. Anyway, it sounds German to me as a non-German, just a pause here and there to think of a word.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Well , as far as my german goes ..i think that even the guy doing the interview complimented him on his german , isn t that right boss ? As far as i can tell the deutsch rolls off pretty fast and good ,not sure about the accent but is still all good . Anyway , congrats on keeping up with the "mother" tongue .

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As far as i can tell the deutsch rolls off pretty fast and good
It would roll a lot better if I used it more.

Interestingly enough, non-native German speakers at those shows have told my that my German is easier to understand than the Germans' German. I suppose that's because I speak somewhat slowly and try to enunciate clearly.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
It would roll a lot better if I used it more.

Interestingly enough, non-native German speakers at those shows have told my that my German is easier to understand than the Germans' German. I suppose that's because I speak somewhat slowly and try to enunciate clearly.

-Uwe-
i would think that your accent is somewhat * duller * because the real german is like a knife in the ears when is spoken . It is precise ...and sharp sounding like they are wordfighting ;). Your english influences sweetens the harsher german accent..and being that you don t speak it everyday..when you do..you try your best to make yourself clearer . My 2 deutsche marks on the matter ;)

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
Interestingly enough, non-native German speakers at those shows have told my that my German is easier to understand than the Germans' German.
It's the exact opposite of what some Austrian friends told me about the Guvernator's visit to his hometown. He spoke some German in front of the cameras and the whole country giggled for a week.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
real german is like a knife in the ears when is spoken
Yes, that's pretty much a meme:

However, I think it's overblown. It is certainly possible to speak German in a relaxed and even musical sounding way; my Aunt was really good at that.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Yes, that's pretty much a meme:

However, I think it's overblown. It is certainly possible to speak German in a relaxed and even musical sounding way; my Aunt was really good at that.

-Uwe-
That meme is hillarous. I d guess it can be made more melodic and surely the auntie knew how to make herself sweet with this somewhat harsh-ish language. Never had a german girlfriend ..now too late to have one :) , but my mom had a beautiful german lady friend who had a beautiful daughter about my age..however at that time i was taken ;)

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
@JSWTDI09 French are born annoyed....you better learn basic french words if you are ever in France. Here's the kicker : french people have a very good grasp and lots of them speak very good english but they hate to speak it ( especially commercial workers , waiters, etc etc).

I think you will enjoy this:
An old friend and co-worker of mine lived and worked for several years in Liechtenstein. One time he and his wife were on holiday and driving through Northern France when they had car trouble. He pulled over to the side of the road and opened the hood to try to figure out what was wrong. After a while an older local gentleman pulled up to offer help. The first thing my friend (Mike) said was "parlez vous anglais?" and the man said "non" - so Mike used his best broken French to try explaining the problem. The gentleman then said to Mike "are you American?" and Mike replied "oui". Then the man started speaking to him in English. Mike then said "I thought you said that you did not speak English" and the old man said "I do not speak English - I speak American".

I thought this was a funny story. If Mike had been English instead of American the man would never have admitted that he could speak and understand the English language.

When I was teaching (before I retired) I had many French students. In my own experience most French people read and write English quite well but they often have problems understanding spoken English. Apparently they all learn English in school but they learn it from French teachers so they are used to hearing it with a French accent.

Have Fun!

Don

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
"I am a jelly donut" giggles???? :confused:

Well, there were some similarities - they were both Kennedys with a thick accent :D

However, with Arnie it wasn't so much about what he said (because that was fine) but rather how it sounded. The locals likened it to "a Styrian farmer impersonating John Wayne". Badly.
Funny thing is , the same had been said about his English by the Americans.

Anyway, I have nothing but respect for the guy - he dipped his quadriceps in sports, arts/business and politics, and made an impact in each of those fields (I'm not saying he's the greatest thespian talent ever, or the most enlightened politican, but he was noticed).
Come to think of it: Arnold Schwarzenegger is probably the most famous Austrian on the planet, ever.

P. S. Yeah, yeah, I know about the other Austrian guy but at that time they had limited mass-media facilities and the world population was at less than a third of today's numbers (and that Austrian guy worked hard to lower those numbers even more) - so in absolute terms Arnie is the winner.

Last edited:

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
which brings me back to american cars made in the 2000 's where GAUGE was spelled GAGE ( 2000's GM vehicles ... and Grand Cherokee is a more memorable one ) :), Nobody could explain that at the time.. :)

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
  • Informative
Reactions: JMR
Back