2005 Audi A8l Ignition lock/switch red warning light?

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
Please let the forum know how (when) you solved the problem. Good Luck!
I absolutely will, I can imagine other Audi 4.2 v8'ers would like to know how this problem got solved, it's a booger!!

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
Hello, I'm still very new to this vcds and I've got a question about an A8 I've owned for 15 years and never needed security codes for access and now installing a new J518 module that isn't providing power has me stuck. Can I even use vcds for an access/entry J518 module does anyone know or have experience with this?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The KESSY module itself? That's the heart of the immobilizer in this car. VCDS is not going to me much help replacing that.

-Uwe-

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
The KESSY module itself? That's the heart of the immobilizer in this car. VCDS is not going to me much help replacing that.

-Uwe-
Hey thanks for your reply, I reconnected the original Kessy and I have power to everything so I excluded that as the issue because the keys lock/unlock the car and so they're recognized. I'm getting the lock ignition light and with a replacement ignition lock not starting the car I've moved on to finding why there's no power to both starter relays but the relays are good. I've also checked terminal 15 and terminal 75 on this Audi A8 and there's no power there either and those relays have continuity and work because they're new as well. The wire diagram I purchased from batter to starter doesn't seem very complicated following the diagram. The ecm has power so I'm thinking I'll submit an application to attend an advanced Audi service school for about 2 years so I can figure out the dilemma lol! I bought the expensive oem Audi battery for this beast and although it supplys the right power and I"ve adapted it, it's not helping :-(

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Threads merged. Also moving to Car Repair Support.

-Uwe-

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
Happy Sunday to all, I spent quite a bit of time on the car yesterday and while my old Kessy J518 allowed lights to come on the dash after I installed the replacement Kessy I got zero power to even the turn of the key. The ignition lock/switch red warning light came on as it has evertime along with a "P"brake warning light with lightning strikes on each side. Also, after my many attempts to get/reset the vcds to communicate with the car I'm still receiving the polite "Cannot be reached" in almost all of the auto scan results. I did however find that in both footwell panels, driver and passenger, that there is no power going to the important 2 starter relays and terminal 15 and terminal 75 fuse boxes. This turns out to be quite the huge issue. I also went directly to the ecm under the hood plenum to see if there was corrosion of some sort and check those relays as well. I installed a brand Audi battery, battery voltage control module and multifunction central power control module. I tested each of those 4 relays that go to footwell fuse boxes and they all have continuity. Does anyone have ideas on where I can check other areas to see why power is not reaching these important areas?

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
Please let the forum know how (when) you solved the problem. Good Luck!
Hello all, so I had a VW experienced mechanic go out to the A8 and said it was the immobilizer?? He couldn't get power to everything he said after connecting his diagnostic tool to the OBD which is what I believe happened to me when I used the vag-com tool also. Is there a troubleshooting technique to get power to all the modules in the big beast that I'm missing? I believe I can use the vag-com to fix the immobilizer or delete it completely right? The car was actually started by a bypass he did but didn't fix my problem however i was glad it's not the starter itself as difficult as that is to replace on this '05 A8. IF i could find out HOW to get the OBD to read all symptoms by getting power than I can share it or try to troubleshoot the immobilizer. I looked and looked for anyone else in the world with this symbol and issue not starting the car but was unsuccesful on any Audi not sure why :-(

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I believe I can use the vag-com to fix the immobilizer or delete it completely right?
No, it cannot. I would not be able to sleep at night if our tool could be used to steal cars.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
I would ckeck for water ingress under the drivers feet compartiment , A8 is notoriuous for retaining loads of water in that area..and there is where the kessy lives :) , car might be a submarine now :)

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
No, it cannot. I would not be able to sleep at night if our tool could be used to steal cars.

-Uwe-
Thanks for responding and that makes sense. Can the vag-com somehow assist with the immobilizer in some way with my issue? 🤷‍♂️

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
I would ckeck for water ingress under the drivers feet compartiment , A8 is notoriuous for retaining loads of water in that area..and there is where the kessy lives :) , car might be a submarine now :)
Thank you and oh how I know this to be true. I did remove the driver's seat and found the Kessy. I didn't find any remaining water but upon removing the kessy I did see some slight corrosion. I cleaned it carefully but nothing changed and couldn't start the car boooooooo.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can the vag-com somehow assist with the immobilizer in some way with my issue?
It can help you trouble-shoot things, but if components need to be replaced or matched on that car, then I don't think so. The 4E A8 chassis was the first VAG car with a really crazy immobilizer.

However, our member @Jetta 97 may be able to help you.

-Uwe-

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
It can help you trouble-shoot things, but if components need to be replaced or matched on that car, then I don't think so. The 4E A8 chassis was the first VAG car with a really crazy immobilizer.

However, our member @Jetta 97 may be able to help you.

-Uwe-
Good morning, ok great thank you for that. Crazy immobilizer I agree. I had another Kessy come in and when I plugged that one in there was zero power or activity from it so I imagine the car is upset for some reason I'm not able to make her happy at the moment. There have been quite a few things I've read and tried to do to wake the car up but it failed on every attempt of replacement parts...
Below are all of my attempts to start the car
1. Ignition switch replacement
2. Battery control voltage module
3. New Audi car Battery installed
4. Both starter relays tested and still replaced with new ones
5. Terminal 15 and 75 relays replaced
6. Multifunction Central power module replaced
7. Onboard ILM supply control module replaced
8. Kessy control module
9. Brake light switch replaced

JMR

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
You cant just thow in another kessy and fire up the car you know that right ?

LELOPEZ210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495571
You cant just thow in another kessy and fire up the car you know that right ?
Good morning yes because that would be toooooo easy. What threw me off is that it did not recognize the Kessy in any form with even power I connected so I inserted the previous one and power resumed. Is that the norm? I realize programming from Audi USA official service departments with the multi-million dollar vag-com is necessary but not to have any sort of communication to my vcds seems more than off to me....

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Good morning yes because that would be toooooo easy. What threw me off is that it did not recognize the Kessy in any form with even power I connected so I inserted the previous one and power resumed.

I think your best bet , at this point, is to take it (or deliver it) to the Audi Dealer and have them do the minimum in order to get the car started or at least diagnose it for you ; you can then learn and work on it from there.

Almost none of the "black boxes" are plug and play and I wouldn't be surprised if that Ignition switch you replaced is protected as well!

I had another Kessy come in and when I plugged that one in there was zero power or activity from it so I imagine the car is upset for some reason
This is precisely what Audi CP is designed to do! I'm sure if the forum membership could help, they would ; unfortunately sometimes , as in your case, you may have a situation where you are electronically "locked out" and only the Dealer has the "key".

I realize programming from Audi USA official service departments with the multi-million dollar vag-com is necessary but not to have any sort of communication to my vcds seems more than off to me....
Nope, sounds like by (Audi) design to me. (unfortunately). You said it : ....... "is necessary" ......

It sounds like you have done all you can, IMO.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Has this issue just popped up recently on a car you've been driving for a while or you got the car in its current state and are trying to fix it?
I noticed that you didn't follow up on this question from @Quintus Rotam ; some context with regard to your no-start issue may help ?

JMR

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Good morning yes because that would be toooooo easy. What threw me off is that it did not recognize the Kessy in any form with even power I connected so I inserted the previous one and power resumed. Is that the norm? I realize programming from Audi USA official service departments with the multi-million dollar vag-com is necessary but not to have any sort of communication to my vcds seems more than off to me....
send me that damn car , i will fix it :)

• Haha
Reactions: Uwe

Jetta 97

Professional User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
That car do not have Mechanical ignition so you can turn ignition On , That car has Kessy (technically called Key Less module) , everything is Electronic in it ,it gets key signal , When Kessy sees unauthorized key it will not do anything .
Like UWE mention to you VCDS will not help you with programing immobilizer,It can help you trouble shoot car , it is Diagnostic tool not Immobilizer tool.