b7 3.0 tdi fuel leak

fulham4eva

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=443754
Hi all,

Finally got the car to start and run (kinda) .
If I leave the car to just idle on the drive it's fine but rev the car a bit and the entire street is smoke filled.
Also I tried taking the car round the block and it's completely gutless and of course can't see out the back window for smoke.
And about a minute after the car is switched off you can see tonnes of bubbles moving from the high pressure pump in the clear fuel pipe.

Lost patience with it so took it to a local garage who said the car is over boosting, he mentioned the MAF
They also mentioned a possible bad injector
And they also discovered what they describe as a massive fuel leak, they couldn't see where exactly it was coming from but seconds after starting it and looking in the bay, fuel was sitting in the gap next to the oil cooler.

So I thought I'd try replacing the high pressure pump, thinking the leak was coming from the bottom of it but there's still a leak and I have no idea what around there could be leaking. And too much air in system to start the car atm.

So any thoughts?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Diesel is thin enough to wick long distances by capillary action, so give everything a good clean down with a degreaser. Then use ‘blue roll’ or equivalent to search down the leak.

NEVER use your bare fingers to look for a leak; the pressures are so high that a tiny leak can cut your flesh to the bone.

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
Hi all,

Finally got the car to start and run (kinda) .
If I leave the car to just idle on the drive it's fine but rev the car a bit and the entire street is smoke filled.
Also I tried taking the car round the block and it's completely gutless and of course can't see out the back window for smoke.
And about a minute after the car is switched off you can see tonnes of bubbles moving from the high pressure pump in the clear fuel pipe.

Lost patience with it so took it to a local garage who said the car is over boosting, he mentioned the MAF
They also mentioned a possible bad injector
And they also discovered what they describe as a massive fuel leak, they couldn't see where exactly it was coming from but seconds after starting it and looking in the bay, fuel was sitting in the gap next to the oil cooler.

So I thought I'd try replacing the high pressure pump, thinking the leak was coming from the bottom of it but there's still a leak and I have no idea what around there could be leaking. And too much air in system to start the car atm.

So any thoughts?

Have you been able to locate that fuel leak?
In your other thread you mention "the car stinks of diesel".

fulham4eva

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=443754
Yeah thanks turned out to be the inlets so replaced the gaskets. Also we felt the high pressure pump was leaking at the time so applied sealant to various pieces on that and no leaks now

Back